The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 07:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Listen, we're going to disagree, again.

To me, I have the runner out if the tag is there 90% of the time as well. But if I see the tag very noticably miss, he's safe.

I agree that coaches / players / MLB doesn't want to see hands getting beaten up by a fielder staying in there to make a tag. But he can't ole it either and expect an out. This is a case of out until proven safe IMO, but not automatic out.
I thought the fielder laid that glove right down in front of the base for quite a sufficiently long period of time. He didn' "ole" it, he put a tag down in front of a base and held it there until Jeter slid into the base. That's an out to me. But hell, then again, I don't have instant replay at my games to replay it over and over.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 08:18pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post

It'll be a cold day before Jeter gets that call on defense again from any umpire.

This is the most telling quote in this whole thread....

JJ
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Amazing how chance works. Last night ball gets away from F2 but only slightly, R2 goes for 3B, ball beats him by a half yard, F5 puts the glove down, R2 slides in and I bang him out. Not a peep from anyone, including HC standing in the 3b box.

As I walk away I am thinking F5 may not have gotten the glove on him. Maybe I am thinking this because of this thread, don't know, but I do know there was not a peep from anyone.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
. But if I see the tag very noticably miss, he's safe.
I agree Tuss but, this was anything but "Noticably Missed" at normal speed.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Amazing how chance works. Last night ball gets away from F2 but only slightly, R2 goes for 3B, ball beats him by a half yard, F5 puts the glove down, R2 slides in and I bang him out. Not a peep from anyone, including HC standing in the 3b box.

As I walk away I am thinking F5 may not have gotten the glove on him. Maybe I am thinking this because of this thread, don't know, but I do know there was not a peep from anyone.
I had the other side of this situation over the weekend. Batter hits a shot in the gap and tries for 3. The throw comes in while he's 15 feet from 3B, and F5 puts his glove down and holds it there. The BR's foot hits glove and wrist: no spiking, but he'd broken that wrist before and had to leave the game.

The ball came out, and my timing was impeccable, so the call was easy.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
A trollin we will go, a trollin we will go, hi, ho, the merry oh, a trollin we will go!!
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I thought the fielder laid that glove right down in front of the base for quite a sufficiently long period of time. He didn' "ole" it, he put a tag down in front of a base and held it there until Jeter slid into the base. That's an out to me. But hell, then again, I don't have instant replay at my games to replay it over and over.

He's out all day and everyday in my games also. Been that way for about 15 years now and amazing I never get any grief about these calls. When I used to (my first 15 years) make these type of calls, it always ended up in an ejection or big argument.

Make the expected call and move on with the game. If Jeter wants to complain, then the next time he makes a similiar play, I call the runner safe.

If he complains, I would just remind him, "remember the other day in ..."

He would get over it pretty quick then I am for certain. Pro players want that call because it keeps them away from injury. The longer they have to stay in the play, the more chance of a freak injury, jamming the wrist, a cleat etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
As I walk away I am thinking F5 may not have gotten the glove on him.
There's a difference between "thinking F5 MAY NOT have gotten a glove on him" and SEEING something other than a straight slide in and a missed tag.

I didn't see the OP, so I can't comment on what happened there. Maybe it was just missed. Maybe the umpire didn't expect the type of slide ("surprise is the umpire's worst enemy"), so he had poor timing. Maybe he mis-spoke (or was mis-heard).

For me, I'll look only as closely as I have to. If the ball is there, and the tag is down, it's up to the runner to convince me that the tag was missed by doing something other than sliding straight in and making me see the missed tag. Some runners have done that. Some have not.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Same crew last night Dodgers-Mets. Manny is out on a called strike three that's 4-5 inches outside by john Hirshbeck. Manny flips his equipment and gets tossed by Hirshbeck. Get the feeling that Marty Foster was thinking to himself "you could call that pitch a strike years ago but the game has changed". The shoe was on the other foot tonight.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

GREAT point!

The pitch was a great pitcher's pitch, which several years back, hitters knew they had to swing at or walk away. Now, it's usually a ball because of the strike zone technology that's employed on almost every telecast, and the resultant scrutiny of the umpiring on gray area strikes. So now, when that pitch is called, hitters go off. Manny's zone knowledge and discipline are almost as good as there is, but if he takes a chance by looking at a pitch like that, he needs to shut the eff up and walk away.

Todd Helton fouls that off.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 11:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Same crew last night Dodgers-Mets. Manny is out on a called strike three that's 4-5 inches outside by john Hirshbeck. Manny flips his equipment and gets tossed by Hirshbeck. Get the feeling that Marty Foster was thinking to himself "you could call that pitch a strike years ago but the game has changed". The shoe was on the other foot tonight.
Irony is sometimes delicious. Too bad there wasn't someone who could throw Hirschbeck under the bus.

Don't get me wrong - Foster wasn't too bright with his comment to Jeter (although Jeter didn't have to turn it into the media circus it became) -- but Hirschbeck didn't have to say what he did, either. I'd never say something like this about an umpire on my crew and I'm just a pissant amateur umpire.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Maybe Hirshbeck screwed up. But maybe it was a FYC. Manny, as we all know, will be Manny.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 11:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Maybe Hirshbeck screwed up. But maybe it was a FYC. Manny, as we all know, will be Manny.
Manny also vehemently argued an out call at 1st in the Pads game his first night back. He was clearly out by a half step, but he had to be peeled off the umpire by the 1st base coach. Just a case of Manny being a Tool.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

The problem was in the response.

Speaking of which, this summer I have not been able to umpire as much because I been coaching some select baseball. I am all for these young kids getting the opportunity but when I go out there and argue a call they give me a look like I am crazy, then to top it off they give me a warning. Now I am sympathetic to umpires, I really am but when they give me a response that makes me question there ability, thats when I blow my top off.

Anyways sorry for derailing the thread, thought I would vent just a bit.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 01:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
The problem was in the response.

Speaking of which, this summer I have not been able to umpire as much because I been coaching some select baseball. I am all for these young kids getting the opportunity but when I go out there and argue a call they give me a look like I am crazy, then to top it off they give me a warning. Now I am sympathetic to umpires, I really am but when they give me a response that makes me question there ability, thats when I blow my top off.

Anyways sorry for derailing the thread, thought I would vent just a bit.
"go out and argue"

You go, Earl Weaver.