The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
I meant the Umpire Mask Hook. Decent item once people accept it.
The item is not at all necessary and should not be accepted.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 07:38pm

It's a photo shoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
I am talking about the ump locker room photo. I never park that close to a field. Especially behind the backstop.
I have lost one windshield in my career (because I had to park in that location due to game management's direction) and that is enough.
At least insurance took care of it no deductable.
They are shooting an advertisement, not working a ball game. If you watch the video, they are the only two people at the ballpark. Rule of thumb: Never park within baseball traveling distance of the field.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

A few weeks ago, as my partner and I were changing, campus security came up to us and gave us their number to call to get into the locker room. I was thinking, "alright, that's cool, thanks a lot man"...but it didn't stop there. After that, they warned us that they'll have to write up a report next time because they had a softball umpire get fully naked, a few girls said they got creeped out by softball umpires while they were changing, and "because it's a Christian university, you know."

There I was, thinking "man, that Ump Locker would have come in handy"...but then I snapped out of it.

Note: I only specified that they were softball umpires because security explicitly did so themselves.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Brian,

Not JC in E by any chance, was it?

I'll have to tell you what happened to me there last year some time. Thought I was going to end up doing a 3-man game solo.

JM
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Bingo, that's it.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 08:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
...they warned us that they'll have to write up a report next time because they had a softball umpire get fully naked, a few girls said they got creeped out by softball umpires while they were changing, and "because it's a Christian university, you know."
Naked softball umpires would creep me out too, come to think of it.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 09:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
A few weeks ago, as my partner and I were changing, campus security came up to us and gave us their number to call to get into the locker room. I was thinking, "alright, that's cool, thanks a lot man"...but it didn't stop there. After that, they warned us that they'll have to write up a report next time because they had a softball umpire get fully naked, a few girls said they got creeped out by softball umpires while they were changing, and "because it's a Christian university, you know."

There I was, thinking "man, that Ump Locker would have come in handy"...but then I snapped out of it.

Note: I only specified that they were softball umpires because security explicitly did so themselves.
I wonder what their alternative was? They should write up the AD...or bill the school for the "Official's Locker Room." It can't be the first time they've seen an umpire changing in the parking lot.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, but even in situations where there is no official's locker room--a real one or the changing unit--one can somehow situate his vehicle, then don a robe or a long t-shirt until he gets into or out of his tights or jock (or both). For crying out loud, it's hard to believe that guys would ever have to fully expose themselves.

With even a modicum of courtesy, virtually all high schools and JCs could accommodate us with use of some facility in which to quickly change clothes. They choose not to.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Thu Jul 09, 2009 at 01:32am.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Naked softball umpires would creep me out too, come to think of it.
Naked?
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Naked?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Yeah, me too. Softball umpires creep me out. LOL
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 09:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I wonder what their alternative was? They should write up the AD...or bill the school for the "Official's Locker Room." It can't be the first time they've seen an umpire changing in the parking lot.
The alternative is to not get buck naked in the parking lot. Hey, here is an idea...put on your jock/compression shorts/tights, whatever rig you use, before you drive to the yard. That's what I've always done. I can't see why anyone without a serious wild hair up their a$$ would get upset seeing someone in their shorts or tights. But the Full Monty is not something anyone, much less Christian school girls, want to see especially.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I'm sorry, but even in situations where there is no official's locker room--a real one or the changing unit--one can somehow situate his vehicle, then don a robe or a long t-shirt until he gets into or out of his tights or jock (or both). For crying out loud, it's hard to believe that guys would ever have to fully expose themselves.

With even a modicum of courtesy, virtually all high schools and JCs could accommodate us with use of some facility in which to quickly change clothes. They choose not to.
I worked at a field last night in a pretty nice suburban area. When we received our contracts for the games from this high school in spring, they included a note that said we were not allowed to change on the local city streets surrounding the park, and that if we did, that neighbors would not hesitate to call police. The school said they had a building where we could change. Of course it hasn't been opened for either game I worked there this year. I changed in their parking lot, and didn't have any issues though.

I say, once the schools provide enclosed areas for my partner and myself to change, then I'll start using them. Until then I'll just try to be as discreet as possible and park in the corners and use my door as a shield.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Yup.
I was suggesting that just being a softball umpire was sufficiently creepy.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 10:26am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
anyone, much less Christian school girls, want to see especially.
"good" christian school girls anyway. do you drive home after the game w/ swamp nut$ too?

I agree that full nude is a poor choice...but if they don't like it, provide a reasonable alternative so we can change. Often times I work at a facility that refuses to allow the umpires a place to change mainly because they don't want to sweep up the dirt...this facility is a publicly funded facility too...if there's a game being played on the neighboring field, often times there can be as many as 1,000 people walking past my car as I'm trying to get changed. Sometimes I do as you suggest and wear my compressions to the field, but sometimes I don't have the time to change or simply don't feel like compressing my "area" longer than I need to since I'm still trying to increase and mulitply. That being said...I'm not necessarily disagreeing Steve...we don't need to be exhibitionists by any means...but often times there's no reasonable alternative...you've worked plenty, I'm sure you understand that...the weather is a bit more cooperative in your area of the country as well.