Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Couldn't pull the trigger... and frustrated

Hey ya'll.

I popped a guy on Sunday. JUCO and D3 players, chirping about balls and strikes was escalating from both sides, including a blowup from one dugout on a play at the plate. This is maybe my 10th game in this league, so still "green" to these guys. Bottom of the 6th, called strike 3, batter turns around and says back to me "you suck" loud enough for plenty to hear. Calmly gave the heave ho and walked away.

When I called the assignor I didn't get any positive feedback about the EJ, just an "okay". So I thought to myself, "maybe he doesn't want me tossing people" and "geeze, tossing people gives the assignor more work he doesn't want, which means I will get less games."

If I want good summer ball, it HAS to be through this assignor, so saying "get a new assignor" isn't an option.

Tonight, bottom 7, 2-1. R1 and R2, 2 outs. Ground ball down 3B line, I point fair, it looked to me like it went right over the front left part of the bag. F5 boots past the bag, R2 scores, tie game.

I have my back turned to the field, defensive manger comes flying out of the dugout behind me screaming. I turned, almost popped him (1), but refrained in light of the assignor thought. He continued yelling, I told him "Coach, don't yell, just talk, I'll listen". He replied, "I am gonna yell, that call blew us the game." (2) At this point I almost popped him again, but refrained, again. Then, I wanted to say "Coach, do you want to go over this play," but instead just explained what I saw. He then pointed to BU and yelled "Go ask him!". (3) I told him "Coach, its my call, I had it fair." After more whining, a bit more subdued, I then began to turn my back and said "Ok coach, enough." Coach turned to walk back towards dugout, as he was walking back he yelled "BULLS****". (4) Again, couldn't pull the trigger, looks horrible ejecting somebody walking back to the dugout.

Just frustrating, because this guy should have gone 3, maybe 4 times, but because I ran somebody 2 days earlier and didn't get positive support from the assignor, I bit my tongue. Being in my 5th year, I still gotta kiss as much @$$ as I can just to get games, and EJs don't help that matter.

Any suggestions? Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better already.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 07:51pm
Stop staring at me swan.

An "okay" isn't necessarily bad. What would you like him to say? You did your job and dumped the guy. I wasn't in your shoes, but I probably woudn't have dumped in the second situation either. Not ejecting doens't necessarily make you a better umpire.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

You have 2 options.

Get rid of them and don't worry about the assignor.
Or, let them run over you just to kiss his a$$.

I go with option 1 and no looking back. Putting up with that kind of crap just to get more ball doesn't register as an excuse. You can be their whipping boy or run YOUR game. I'm getting rid of them so I can enjoy the rest of the game. And, I won't be coming on here wishing I had done my job. Now, he is a problem for the next umpire to have to get rid of him and show him what his limits are.

Have fun with getting run over to get better games. Now, I wonder about the better games. Do they get to run over the umpires so those umpires can keep their better games? Not worth it. Get rid of them and sleep better at night knowing you did your job.

JMO but I won't be wishing when the game is over. And, another thing. What is with the idea of "Can't EJ them as they walk away"? If he isn't man enough to say what he has to say to me face to face, why am I going to let him walk? Now, he knows he can say what he wants as he is walking away. I am getting rid of him coming or going. At least going, he can continue in 1 direction and not waste effort of turning around. Get rid of them no matter which way they are facing. I don't get that line of thought. Get rid of them and don't look back.

Last edited by GA Umpire; Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 08:02pm.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Tuss,

Are you sure you aren't putting too much of a negative connotation on "OK"?

If somebody deserves tossing, toss them. If you think avoiding tossing them will get you better games, you are mistaken.

If your assignor does not back you (are you sure he wasn't backing you?) when you properly toss someone, then he will only give you worse games when you cave on this point.

No, I am not kidding.

Yes, you did have more than one occasion where you should have tossed the 2nd guy.

Just do it. It's fun.

JM
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Tuss,

Are you sure you aren't putting too much of a negative connotation on "OK"?

If somebody deserves tossing, toss them. If you think avoiding tossing them will get you better games, you are mistaken.

If your assignor does not back you (are you sure he wasn't backing you?) when you properly toss someone, then he will only give you worse games when you cave on this point.

No, I am not kidding.

Yes, you did have more than one occasion where you should have tossed the 2nd guy.

Just do it. It's fun.

JM
Maybe I should give more on what the assignor said after the 1st EJ.

His tone was kind of "ugh, an ejection," if that makes sense. The "okay" I reffered to was said not as "its okay that you ejected somebody" and more like "okaaaay, i'll have to deal with this". Make sense?

Perhaps I should talk with my assignor about where he expects the line to be drawn on EJs, and see if it is indeed different with what should be expected?
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 08:25pm
Veteran College Umpire

You might talk with some of the other umpires who work for this assignor and see if you can gain more insight on what is expected.
Bottom line (at least for me) is, do your job. If it looks like an ejection, and sounds like an ejection, and smells like an ejection, odds are it IS an ejection. Your assignments may not be as "good" for awhile, but your respect level from players, coaches, and partners will go up. You're assigned by one guy, but working for and with a lot more.
And remember, assignors come and go, but that reflection in the mirror will always be there...

JJ
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

I have a novel idea.
Talk to your assignor about it.
Thats what I did a number of years ago.
After a ten minute conversation, he hasn't questioned any of my ejections.
The quality of my assignments improved to the point I couldn't fit any more "good games" (what ever that means) on my schedule unless I was willing to work the midnight shift. Though I don't rack up large numbers, I no longer think twice when it is time to eject and I think I have become a better umpire by not worrying about things I can't control anyway.
Good Luck.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Hey ya'll.

When I called the assignor I didn't get any positive feedback about the EJ, just an "okay". So I thought to myself, "maybe he doesn't want me tossing people" and "geeze, tossing people gives the assignor more work he doesn't want, which means I will get less games."
It sounds as though your assignor is "in bed" with this league. An assignor who does not back his umpire - not a good thing

Quote:
defensive manger comes flying out of the dugout behind me screaming.
Did he ask for TIME!

Quote:
I turned, almost popped him (1), but refrained in light of the assignor thought. He continued yelling, I told him "Coach, don't yell, just talk, I'll listen". He replied, "I am gonna yell, that call blew us the game." (2) At this point I almost popped him again, but refrained, again. Then, I wanted to say "Coach, do you want to go over this play," but instead just explained what I saw. He then pointed to BU and yelled "Go ask him!". (3) I told him "Coach, its my call, I had it fair." After more whining, a bit more subdued, I then began to turn my back and said "Ok coach, enough." Coach turned to walk back towards dugout, as he was walking back he yelled "BULLS****". (4) Again, couldn't pull the trigger, looks horrible ejecting somebody walking back to the dugout.
Tuss I agree with GA. Souds as though you must "sell your soul" if you want to work in this league. If that's what you want then so be it. What happens if the "other' coach disagrees with a call? Are you going to give hime the same "leash" you gave the DM?

Since you are the "new guy on the block" sounds as though these coaches are testing you. Similar to when we move up from JV to Varsity. These coaches want to see how much they can get away with and from your OP it sounds like they can get away with plenty.

Are you sure about your following statement?

Quote:
If I want good summer ball,
Sure it's good summer ball? As you stated you have to kiss a$$ to do this league. Not for me. I enjoy umpiring but it is my HOBBY not my main profession. Yes we should not be "quick on the trigger" but on the same token we cannot let the participants treat us like s$$t.

Hope it works out for you.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

First game of the summer season, two years ago, I have the dish, my son is at 1B. Close play early in the game at 1B and son bangs an out, 1b coach goes off on him and boom, he tosses instantly. Catcher says to me "what happened", I say I don't know, it must have been personal or profane because it sure wasn't prolonged.

Son calls assignor on the way home explains what happened and wants to know if he has to fill out paperwork, etc, for summer ball. Assignor says "toss at will and forget paperwork, maybe they learn how to act by Spring".

Now that's an assignor that understands.

Last edited by DG; Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 09:25pm.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

The okay may have meant "gawd this is the umpteenth ejection I've had to deal with with this team."

I'm in the camp of talking to your assigner. Have a chat with him a get a feel for the guy. It may also make you stick out in his mind when games come up.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 09:27pm

Tuss,

One technique for ejecting a coach who is walking away is to "call him back" by saying just loud enough for him to hear, "okay coach, you're done!" They always come racing back to you when you do that because they think you ran them. Then you run them.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Just frustrating, because this guy should have gone 3, maybe 4 times,

Any suggestions? Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better already.
Should of been gone after two times.

Don't be a hot head, umpire with your brain and not your emotions and you'll do just fine. If I had more than 3-5 Ej's for an avg. 150 game season, it was either a very bad league or I needed a break. Never had a season like that.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

To modify a famous phrase to be applicable to your situation:

"Toss now, ask f*cking questions later!"
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

I don''t have a problem tossing one walking away if deserved. The last one I tossed while walking away was saying "you making all this money you should learn the rules". I am not going to call him back into a discussion to toss him. He mentioned money and rules in the same sentence...
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

SD Steve- Consider that technique stolen. I LIKE IT!!