The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Huh?

You'll have to show me the comments that a one armed umpire would find offensive. I don't see any.
Here's 5 of them........................

"OK, this has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen!"

"Someone here's gonna buy this. You just know it."

"And, when did a mask become so heavy that the umpire can't carry it in his hand?"

"Nothing says you're the biggest pu$$y on the field than when you wear this for all to see. Buy two for each side and we'll throw in a leather ball bag for free"

"pretty much sums it up. "tool""
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 07:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post

"And, when did a mask become so heavy that the umpire can't carry it in his hand?"

"Nothing says you're the biggest pu$$y on the field than when you wear this for all to see. Buy two for each side and we'll throw in a leather ball bag for free"

YGTBSM!!! Are you for real? I really doubt that any paraplegic would find anything offensive by these remarks. Not one comment was directed at people with only one arm. Do you think Jim Abbott made it in the majors being that sensitive to what people say? I think you are underestimating your colleague in this case. Ask him if he is offended. I'm sure he will tell you that he's not offended in the least.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
YGTBSM!!! Are you for real? I really doubt that any paraplegic would find anything offensive by these remarks. Not one comment was directed at people with only one arm. Do you think Jim Abbott made it in the majors being that sensitive to what people say? I think you are underestimating your colleague in this case. Ask him if he is offended. I'm sure he will tell you that he's not offended in the least.
You missed the point. You are correct, in reality he would not be offended at all. The poin is all the bashing of the product is unfounded. It has its uses. I personally would not use it, but he sure is glad it was invented.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 08:06pm

Quote:
You missed the point. You are correct, in reality he would not be offended at all. The poin is all the bashing of the product is unfounded. It has its uses. I personally would not use it, but he sure is glad it was invented.
You must have missed the point. Other than for people with one arm, the product is LAME!!! That's what we do...we bash LAME products!!!! It is our nature.

We aren't trying to offend anyone, just telling the truth, which is that The Umpire Hook is a ridiculous product as marketed. If it were marketed towards one-armed umpires, then we certainly would NEVER make fun of it. But the marketers are promoting it as a great invention for the everyday Joe umpire, which it clearly is not. Not any more than the Ump-Glove, for example; what a horrible money-making scam that thing is. This is right along those lines.

Hey, if it can help one-armed umps, then I'm all for it, but market it just for them, and not to the masses.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Calling any of those comments offensive to an amputee is possibly the most preposterous contention I have seen anyone make this year. Maybe longer.

In fact, that accusation is the most offensive thing uttered in this entire thread. Robbie, you should apologize to us.
Old Thu Jul 02, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
In fact, that accusation is the most offensive thing uttered in this entire thread. Robbie, you should apologize to us.
Agreed.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

These could be offensive to the inventor, but that wasn't your point or mine. I'm still waiting for a post that is offensive to a one armed umpire.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

My dad's a wise, old guy. He's also as accepting and as tolerant and as emancipated as any man I ever knew.

But even he has a point where he can't stand when political correctness goes to the extreme. To those who are offended by things that reasonable people deem inoffensive, he says, "I suggest you never leave the house."
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Perhaps there was little to notice!
..didnt know you were watching....

just saying, this would seem to bring more attention than it would to hide it.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire mask: Good invention, not sure if people will accept its use as an everyday item.

Umpire dressing room: Another good item, more likely to become popular. I had at least one occasion when this item could have come in handy.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Getting back to the mask clip, or what ever it's called, I worked with a guy this afternoon that would probably like it. On at least 4 different occasions I looked in his direction and saw that he had laid his mask on the ground for a variety if reasons. Once so he could walk to the dugout and get a fresh supply of balls.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Getting back to the mask clip, or what ever it's called, I worked with a guy this afternoon that would probably like it. On at least 4 different occasions I looked in his direction and saw that he had laid his mask on the ground for a variety if reasons. Once so he could walk to the dugout and get a fresh supply of balls.
I worked with a guy this week who laid his mask on the ground during the plate meeting. That drives me absolutely nuts. Tuck it under your left arm and you can use your two hands, it's not that difficult.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Umpire mask: Good invention, not sure if people will accept its use as an everyday item.
This was not being discussed, but what the heck, sure, the mask was a good invention. I doubt anyone here disagrees.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post

Sure is.....I have two.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Me, too: two masks. I accepted the mask immediately as one of the most useful inventions in umpiring. In fact, I rarely call pitches without one.