The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

If any coach approaches me about something after the game, I will not listen to them. Things get escalated very quickly and turn out bad. I don't care if I think they are levelheaded. There are stories of that as well.

If there is a question about a call, bring it up during the game. NOT after it. If you are not going to be a coach during the game, don't try to ambush the umpire after it. Leave it on the field and it ends there.

I can't believe how many are turning a blind eye to this coach/umpire, who should know better, doing the same thing as any other coach who they do not know is an umpire. Plain and simple. The OP poster should have kept away from them after the game. That is why, if possible, we park away from the teams. To get away from them after the game is over.

It has nothing to do with age. Whether or not the umpires got the call wrong makes no difference. Next time, when you have your coach's hat on, keep it on even after the game. Leave the umpires alone even if they know you are an umpire. Talk about anything other than the game or "You get what you get". I don't care if a supposed "veteran" umpire approaches me. If he was involved in the game I just worked, then he better keep his mouth shut about that game. If he says anything other than "that kid really could pitch" or something like that, then conversation is over and he better leave.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

If he did not want me to ask him a question, all he had to do was say no.

My skin is not so thin that I cannot talk to coaches after the game. Like I said before, I refer them to the UIC for rules questions and I never will discuss judgment calls.

These two guys actually had put their stuff right beside our team's stuff outside our dugout. I did not go find them, they were standing right there.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post

My skin is not so thin that I cannot talk to coaches after the game. Like I said before, I refer them to the UIC for rules questions and I never will discuss judgment calls.
Which is exactly what you should have done. You say it in your own posts but yet you don't abide by it and want camaraderie(and appear to be getting it).

Quote:
These two guys actually had put their stuff right beside our team's stuff outside our dugout. I did not go find them, they were standing right there.
Then, you should have moved your stuff or waited until they moved theirs. You ambushed them after the game about a rule/judgment call instead of going to the UIC(which you state you would tell any coach to do but did not follow that same logic).

Are you beginning to understand the situation yet? You tell other coaches to leave you alone but you felt the need to disobey that same logic. Yet, you say "I am not thin-skinned". It has nothing to do with that. It is called "Baseball Etiquette". When the game is over, it is over. Do not approach the umpires. I don't care how you dress it up of how you would handle it. It is the same thing only you were treated the same as you would treat other coaches. Only, these kids got a little smart with you. Boo-who. Who is not thin-skinned?

Best way to handle it: Leave the umpires alone.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

coach should have addressed the issue on field during the game. who wants a coach harrassing you in the parking lot? usually a coach who follows an umpire to his car is not quite so polite. the umps didn't need to be disrespecftul, they should have just directed the coach to their assignor/UIC. this is where the coach should have gone initially - after the game was over if he had a question.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=GA Umpire;603509] Then, you should have moved your stuff or waited until they moved theirs. You ambushed them after the game about a rule/judgment call instead of going to the UIC(which you state you would tell any coach to do but did not follow that same logic).

I did not ambush them. That is baloney. I asked permission then I calmly asked a question. That is not an ambush.

[QUOTE=GA Umpire;603509]Are you beginning to understand the situation yet? You tell other coaches to leave you alone but you felt the need to disobey that same logic. Yet, you say "I am not thin-skinned". It has nothing to do with that. It is called "Baseball Etiquette". When the game is over, it is over. Do not approach the umpires. I don't care how you dress it up of how you would handle it. It is the same thing only you were treated the same as you would treat other coaches. Only, these kids got a little smart with you. Boo-who. Who is not thin-skinned?

I do not tell coaches to leave me alone. I am civil and polite. It sounds as if you have an enormous chip on your shoulder. I was not treated the same way I would have treated other coaches. I was completely calm and respectful and they flew off the handle. Their lack of knowledge of the rules and arrogance is going to get someone hurt. Especially when we are talking about OBS. I waited until after the game because I thought there was a slightly better chance that these two guys might stand a chance of hearing me and getting it right in the future. Judging by their reaction, if I had approached them during the game, I probably would have been tossed.

Joe in Missouri

Joe In Missouri
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk View Post
coach should have addressed the issue on field during the game. who wants a coach harrassing you in the parking lot? usually a coach who follows an umpire to his car is not quite so polite. the umps didn't need to be disrespecftul, they should have just directed the coach to their assignor/UIC. this is where the coach should have gone initially - after the game was over if he had a question.
I did not follw anyone anywhere. They were standing outside of my dugout...that is where they threw their bags when they showed up after game time.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

my mistake as far as where the umps were located. that is not nearly as bad as trying to talk to them in the parking lot, but i still think you should have addressed the issue at the time of the plays rather than after the game was over.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not ambush them. That is baloney. I asked permission then I calmly asked a question. That is not an ambush.
Did they know you were going to ask a question about a call/no call from the game? If not(and probably not), then that is ambushing and putting them on the spot to answer the question. You don't see it that way b/c you were the one asking the questions. Reverse the roles and you would see it b/c you said yourself if they start on a rule/judgment call, you will send them to the UIC which is avoiding the ambush.

Quote:
I do not tell coaches to leave me alone. I am civil and polite.
How you do it is beside the point. You are still telling them to leave b/c they are questioning something which happened during the game and go talk to the UIC(avoiding the ambush).
Quote:
It sounds as if you have an enormous chip on your shoulder.
Avoiding my ambush now. Isn't it great how it is being done b/c I am telling you that you did it wrong. Funny how that is working just the same as you telling coaches to talk to the UIC. These kids didn't avoid the ambush(shame on them). They told you conversation was over, albeit, not nicely(good for them). In your OP, you showed how once they gave an answer, you became argumentative with them. Who is worse, the argumentative coach or the rude umpire? Toss up there.

Quote:
I was not treated the same way I would have treated other coaches. I was completely calm and respectful and they flew off the handle. Their lack of knowledge of the rules and arrogance is going to get someone hurt. Especially when we are talking about OBS.
Then, if you felt that way, question it during the game. If you thought anyone would get hurt, then why did you let 2 incidences occur during your game. Were your own players' safety not on your mind during the game?

Quote:
I waited until after the game because I thought there was a slightly better chance that these two guys might stand a chance of hearing me and getting it right in the future. Judging by their reaction, if I had approached them during the game, I probably would have been tossed.
Well, you will never know since you didn't handle it correctly. You did it wrong from the beginning. You started the whole mess being wrong and now don't know what to do. Also, if you were ejected during the game, then the UIC would have to review the ejection report. And, guess what, then he could have brought it to their attention and informed them the correct way.

You screwed up. If you want to be a coach, then do your job. Don't be afraid to be ejected if you feel so strongly about getting an umpire to check the rules or change the call. Handle it on the field where some good may come of it. Don't handle it off the field which(as you found out) may get you no where.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From your original post, it appears that they didn't mind being asked a question. But then you followed the question with:
Quote:
I said, actually Obstruction is usually not intentional and definitely does not require a collision. I think it would be a good idea for you to look that up in your rules book later on.
That's thin ice you're skating on; some umpires might tolerate being contradicted and instructed on the rules, but most won't, even (or especially) when they are wrong or unsure.

So, you didn't handle it correctly, as others here have noted. Next time, either deal with it in the field, or with the assignor.

That is why you asked the question in the title of this thread, isn't it? To get opinions of how it should have been handled?
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Sure! I wanted a variety of opinions on this.

I probably should not have made the comment after the question. I was actually surprised at just how clueless the guy was. I should not have been surprised but, I was.