The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Drink few or none of your calories and you've won half the battle.

This is my weight control tool (instead of Sprite):

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sat Jan 03, 2009 at 12:20pm.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You mean that the thing in Alaska where officials were penalized cause they were overheard talking about a team and coaches didn't happen? I mean, what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room, after all.

Referee Mag. Editorial on Taped Refs.

Again, just because Rats behave that way doesn't mean officials should.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Drink few or none of your calories and you've won half the battle.

This is my weight control tool (instead of Sprite):
I just drink lots of water, Crystal Light, and seltzer w/o sodium. Zero calories. Also eat Nutrisystem meals with lots of veggies and low-glycemic carbs, just as the program specifies.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support to those who PM'd me and have commented! I'm trying very hard.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Listen to the Veterans

With all due respect to the officials who are relatively new and inexperienced:You are entitled to your opinion. However, by ripping some of the posts of Umpires who have more experience and knowledge of game mgt than some of you does not earn you respect. Ozzy and some others here have forgotten more about the game than some of you will ever grasp. Voice your thoughts, but realize that many of us here are speaking from experience and work this game several levels above your game.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42 View Post
Ozzy and some others here have forgotten more about the game than some of you will ever grasp. Voice your thoughts, but realize that many of us here are speaking from experience and work this game several levels above your game.
Is this a compliment to Ozzy? Way to forget Ozzy, way to forget

I tossed a Coach one time for his dugout remark that the pard' had Alzheimer's. I think, I don't really remember.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

?

Have you ever heard the saying, " He has forgotten more about baseball than you will ever know" It is a compliment
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I just drink lots of water, Crystal Light, and seltzer w/o sodium. Zero calories. Also eat Nutrisystem meals with lots of veggies and low-glycemic carbs, just as the program specifies.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support to those who PM'd me and have commented! I'm trying very hard.
Stay at it, man. Slow and steady.

Best advice I ever heard: "Eat half as much and chew it twice as long."
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:40pm

Quote:
With all due respect to the officials who are relatively new and inexperienced:You are entitled to your opinion. However, by ripping some of the posts of Umpires who have more experience and knowledge of game mgt than some of you does not earn you respect. Ozzy and some others here have forgotten more about the game than some of you will ever grasp. Voice your thoughts, but realize that many of us here are speaking from experience and work this game several levels above your game.
I am very confused by this post. To which officials are you referring? I've read through the posts, and it seems that very experienced officials are disagreeing on this issue. It seems pretty well divided, and I haven't seen any "new" or "inexperienced" umpires responding. Everybody's post I've read have been from very seasoned umpires, who just happen to disagree with one another. Who posted that is "several levels" below Ozzy and others?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 05:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Well, my friend, if you pulled something like this on my crew, you would not be on the crew any longer. And before you start to become sanctimonious, I know a lot of FED and NCAA Basketball officials that would have you tossed off their crew, also.
I am sorry this is a little late to comment on this. But there is not such thing as a "Crew" that you could throw someone off of. That just does not take place in basketball. We work with too many different people. I do get the point.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Experience

SS, I was directing my post to some of the officials without very much experience handling situations, and those who haven't work above HS Level
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SS, I was directing my post to some of the officials without very much experience handling situations, and those who haven't work above HS Level
In some parts of the LA area, some high school environments can be as challenging as most D-III or JC or similar small college settings. Ever heard of nationally-ranked Chatsworth? The left side of their infield got drafted in the first dozen picks two years ago. You do one of their games, with local TV and the LA Times and Daily News and about 500-plus people, and it can get just as challenging as a couple of higher levels. And they're not the only ones.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

KF, I am not taking shots at anyone here. But I know about being on TV and working in front of big crowds. I do it every night from May till Sept.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just saying that you did place high school in a category that made it sound free of any real challenges. I did a H.S. game at Jered and Jeff Weaver's school, and they had another pro prospect throwing 94 mph when I was there. There was another private school in the valley that had three D-I pitchers who were already signed as juniors. One 91-mph-throwing left-hander went to Florida State; another lefty, who throws 93, went to Loyola Marymount, and the third one, a right-hander who went 20-0 with a 1.00 ERA as a varsity starter, went to NY Stonybrook. All three may be in the big leagues someday, according to not just me, but the several scouts that followed them. Their games got pretty challenging, too.

High school is not necessarily high school in several parts of the country.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I understand about those kind of games. Again, I was not being condesending , I just was pointing out that as you gain experience and move up to higher levels, that your Game Mgt is crucial.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand about those kind of games. Again, I was not being condesending , I just was pointing out that as you gain experience and move up to higher levels, that your Game Mgt is crucial.
I agree. I probably emphasize that more strongly than many of my peers, and I get good responses from baseball people to my overall game because of it. Sometimes a well-managed pregame and first two innings can make the rest of the game a relative walk in the park.