The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I do both. It's interesteing working these two sports the approach as an official in terms of timing are entirely different. In baseball we don't make the call until the play is absolutely over. In basketball play is continous and the time frame for making your decision concerning violations or fouls is very short. In baseball the rules are more complicated (in my opinion) than basketball. In the course of a week you can be playing by either college, pro or fed. rules. In basketball there's fed. NCAA (Mens and Women) and pro but I don't know of any amateur leagues that use pro.

As an official in baseball I think you are in the brighter spotlight. You might have only one tough call but it can be the most important call of the game. In basketball this doesn't seem to happen as often.

Dealing with Coaches is different as well. In basketball the Coach is litterally right next to you. In baseball they can be ripping you the whole game but they are so far away you can't hear them.

If you do both which one in your opinion is the toughest or most challenging to work?
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb And the winner is.

This is not even close. Basketball by far. Unless I work the plate during a baseball game it is much more difficult to be a basketball official. In baseball games you do not even have to call anything. A routine play at first you only have to make a signal. If a basketball player makes a quick move everyone might think he traveled or double dribbled. Of course in baseball one call might be magnified. So much of the game of baseball an umpire has nothing to do with. You do not field the ball. You do not hit the ball. If a pitcher throws a fat pitch over the plate and the hitter takes it out of the park, you played no role in that play. If a guard goes to the basket and there is contact you determine if he was fouled or not. You will put them on the line if you think they fouled. If you ask me the comparisons are not even close.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

The nice things about basketball. The weather is always nice (play indoors), I have a place to change and shower (most of the time), games usually start on time and you can predict (assuming no OT) within 5 minutes or so what time the game will be over, halfway through the game you get a 10 minute break. The ball (unlikely) can't hurt you.

With baseball depending upon the time of the year it could be 35 degrees or in the 90's. you change in the parking lot. No showers, not unusual for the bus to be late therfore you don't start on time and once the game starts you don't get a (between innings no break you can't sit down) break. The game could be over in an hour and a half or it could take over two hours. The ball can hurt you.

Take everything into consideration.

Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 04:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

It has to be basketball. You have more opportunities to influence the game. I had a few extra inning games this past season and it was all based the fielding and the pitching. I played no role in that taking place. I can put a player on the line if I decide to make a call and avoid all of that. Not to say you just make it up, but there are many decisions that I am going to make as a basketball official that can determine the direct outcome. I do not feel officials decide the game, but we can influence a lot of what goes on in that game. It is always easy to call a strike when a batter cannot hit the ball. It can be harder to make a call and actually stop play in a basketball game. Most of all you have to be in really good shape to keep up in a basketball game. Eric Gregg can umpire a baseball game and be over 300 pounds. When have you seen an official that was 300 pounds on a basketball court and was considered one of the best officials around?

Hands down it is basketball. I know some really good basketball officials that start umpiring baseball and are really successful. I do not see the same success with a baseball umpire trying to work basketball. It takes those guys some time to adjust and achieve the same things they did in baseball. At least that is the case in my officiating experience.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have dabbled in both, being a football/hockey guy primarily.

Baseball has the challenge of a very large playing area, and limited predictability (most plays are sane, but the whacked ones can be REALLY whacked). It also has the fundamental differences between positions. The plate and the bases are two completely different jobs, and balancing the two can be tough.

As a hockey/football guy I found the hardest thing in basketball was teaching my eyes to look in both the X and Y axises. I mean that I had to look up and down as well as back and forth. Basketball seems like the only sport where you have to consistenly watch the floor (travelling) and over your head (fouls on drives). That is reallly tough to get used to.

As for the Eric Gregg comparison - he couldn't umpire at 300lbs, but he was doing it anyway. Low standards by MLB and the real challenge are kind of different. Basketball is physically more demanding, but baseball is no slouch on a 90 degree day with lots of balls in play.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by hab_in_exile
As for the Eric Gregg comparison - he couldn't umpire at 300lbs, but he was doing it anyway. Low standards by MLB and the real challenge are kind of different. Basketball is physically more demanding, but baseball is no slouch on a 90 degree day with lots of balls in play.
I am not saying that umpiring a baseball game is easy. I am saying that it is not the same as working a basketball game. I know I am going to do a considerable amount of physical activity if I officiate a basketball game. If I do not work the plate in baseball, I might fall asleep because nothing is really going on. Even in a 90 degree day.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think there is any question that basketball is consistently more demanding. However, you really have to look at the peaks more than the valleys and baseball can offer some peaks. Going out to cover on a close catch/no-catch can mean a good 40 yard sprint. Not too shabby.

Of course, you can go through a baseball game and not run at all, but since you have to be ready for the most it still demands some physical abilities.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 03:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't think there is any question that basketball is consistently more demanding. However, you really have to look at the peaks more than the valleys and baseball can offer some peaks. Going out to cover on a close catch/no-catch can mean a good 40 yard sprint. Not too shabby.

Of course, you can go through a baseball game and not run at all, but since you have to be ready for the most it still demands some physical abilities.

Yeah, but that might be the only play. I can almost guarantee that I will sprint during a basketball game. My point is not that basketball is more physical, there is more you have to do on a consistent basis to cover the game. The question was basically asked which one is more demanding. Any officiating can be difficult and a challenge. But there is not way in my opinion you can compare the skills it takes to be good basketball official to what it takes to be a good umpire. Physically and mentally it can be a toll on those that work basketball. Now that is just my opinion. There is nothing wrong with you disagreeing with my point of view on this particular topic.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Actually I think we generally agree. I hate it when I find myself arguing about something that I agree on, so I am going to stop now!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 05:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
If you do both which one in your opinion is the toughest or most challenging to work?
Baseball is the toughest for me.
-->The total concentration on each pitch,
-->The lack of action in the yard requiring the need for increased attention so one is ready for the banger.
-->The pitching changes that take forever.
-->The time between pitches that take forever.
mick

Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Adding to Mick's list:

-- There's no such thing as a "no call"
-- All (almost all) action is on-the-ball where the fans, players and coaches are looking
-- Action stops after every play for the express purpose of giving the fans and the coaches the opportunity to "discuss" your call
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 01:09pm
Jerry Blum

I had stated my opinions on why basketball is more difficult/demanding than baseball on the basketball board and was asked to check this thread out. None of the arguments here have changed my mind any.

I understand that there are definetely challenges to umping a baseball game but I don't believe they are anywhere near as challenging as a basketball game.

Reasoning why I believe this:
1) Conditioning - Basketball, you must be in good physical condition to officiate at a high level. Baseball, it helps to be in good physical condtion but people that aren't in shape can ump at a high level as well(See Comments about MLB umpires).

2) Decisions made on calls - Basketball, you have a split second to make the decision about whether to make a call or pass on it. Baseball, as was stated previously you can wait until the play is completely over(majority of the time) to make your call.

3) Contact between participants - Basketball, there are 10 players on the floor that can be making contact with each other at any point during the game. Meaning that as well as paying attention to the action around the ball you also have to pay attention off ball. Baseball, there are more players on each team but the majority of the action that needs to be watched by the ump is on the ball meaning that you are usually dealing with only a handful of players at any specific time.

I'm sure there are other instances where I could say that basketball is more difficult or demanding but I think these are pretty good points.

Also guys that do baseball, I have done baseball before and I am not saying that it isn't a difficult or demanding sport to officiate. I just believe that basketball is much more difficult.

Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 01:25pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Basketball is like riding a roller coaster.
Baseball is like pulling a wagon.
mick
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

.....and hockey is like riding a roller coaster while pulling a wagon.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
.....and hockey is like riding a roller coaster while pulling a wagon.
I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out! Just joking. Probably the most exciting sport to watch in person. Looks bad on TV.