The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
I would write my report and include everything that happened. I don't really care what the HC says.

How are you going to justify a prophylactic ejection?
You have fun in court when you had advance notice of an intent to injure and did nothing to stop it.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You have fun in court when you had advance notice of an intent to injure and did nothing to stop it.

Not an attorney, I see.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Not an attorney, I see.
Actually, have a fairly decent law background.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
[QUOTE=PeteBooth;563099]
Quote:

My counter argument

Forget about the locker room meaning you are on the field.

There is play at the plate where-by you call a runner out.

The OM thinks that you blew an OBS call.

As his runner is coming back to the dug-out you hear

"Timmy, since they are not going to call OBS next time take out F2"

Now the act of taking out F2 has not yet occured so you are telling me that we at this point should do nothing?

I see no difference between the 2 situations.

There are many things that we as umpires do before the "act is actually performed"

Pete Booth
My answer to your counter-argument : As soon as one of this coach's player DOES take out an opponent, he is ejected for MC, of course, and then I get the coach for the provocation. For all I know, he might cool down, and tell the player, in the dugout, "Forget that; don't try to take him out".

If a coach came to you and said "Pete, we're gonna play without a right fielder today", are you going to eject him immediately, or after his team takes the field defensively, and he refuses to put a player into position ? I would have to guess you're dumping him right then, but I could be wrong.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:13pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Know it is a long thread but just got this far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
What goes on in the locker room is none of our business! If you want to inform your assignor and/or "red line" this school, fine. But you have no business saying anything to anyone else about this. There is no "rule" for this, it is just common courtesy - just like when you are with your buddies, you yap and curse about a coach.
sorry if I'm repeating someone elses comments.

Ozzy, you're full of it if you think this is true. Do you honestly think that if the coach overheard you through paper thin walls making despariging comments about him and his team that he wouldn't make his first phone call to your assignor? What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room till everyone leaves the locker room. Then it is fair game. I might not penalize the coach, but I sure as hell am going to let him know I'm not a fool and I know what is going on. In the case of him telling a player to take out another player, as soon as we get back to the field, I'm letting him know that if any of his players take anyone out the rest of this game not only will that player be ejected, but he can go warm the bus up.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post

Ozzy, you're full of it if you think this is true. Do you honestly think that if the coach overheard you through paper thin walls making despariging comments about him and his team that he wouldn't make his first phone call to your assignor? What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room till everyone leaves the locker room. Then it is fair game. I might not penalize the coach, but I sure as hell am going to let him know I'm not a fool and I know what is going on. In the case of him telling a player to take out another player, as soon as we get back to the field, I'm letting him know that if any of his players take anyone out the rest of this game not only will that player be ejected, but he can go warm the bus up.
With all due respect, baseball has been around a long time, and so has the locker room code. What is said there--however brazenly or childishly--stays there ... period. To act on it publicly is a breach ... period. It's how baseball works ... period. It's how it must work.

Your words: "What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room till everyone leaves the locker room. Then it is fair game." The previous quote, in particular, shows a pronounced level of baseball naiveté on your part. Not Ozzy nor I wrote the code, we're just quoting from it. You should learn it.

How to handle the threat of malicious contact is a separate issue that you combined with the fruits of locker room issue.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 12:37pm.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe,

Quote:
"Ozzy, you're full of it if you think this is true."
Then quite a few of us are full of it. As Ozzy and Kevin have stated what happens in a locker room (remember the OP does NOT have a face-to-face confrontation) stays in the locker room.

I would be shocked if any one of my partners reacted in anyway to something that is overheard.

Sorry we just see things differently.

Regards
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well, my friend, if you pulled something like this on my crew, you would not be on the crew any longer. And before you start to become sanctimonious, I know a lot of FED and NCAA Basketball officials that would have you tossed off their crew, also. What you hear off the court or the field is not to be taken to the court or field. I agree that if you hear a coach telling his players to do something against safety rules, you should make note of it, mentally! You should be on the lookout during the game and if such an infraction occurs, you should take immediate and appropriate action. But to openly say something to a coach about something he said in the locker room (his locker room) is just wrong, period!
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. Do you honestly think that if the coach overheard you through paper thin walls making despariging comments about him and his team that he wouldn't make his first phone call to your assignor?
First, being more professional that most Rats, I wouldn't make those comments.

But second, are you suggesting that because a Rat acts like a rat, I'm expected to do likewise? Sorry. I hold myself to a higher standard.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 07:02pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I'm refering only to...

the coach suggesting a player should retaliate. What he says about me or my crew, wether I hear it or not, is of no concern to me. In fact it would probably give me a good laugh. I also would not talk badly about a team in a manner that a coach would talk badly of us officials. I may make a comment to my partner(s) but it wouldn't be inappropriate. sorry for the confusion, but it actually sounds like we are on the same page.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
What you hear off the court or the field is not to be taken to the court or field.
10.4.1 SITUATION B: At halftime, as the teams, coaches, and officials are making their way through a hallway to the dressing room, a Team A member verbally abuses one of the officials. RULING: A technical foul is charged to the team member and is also charged indirectly to the head coach. During intermission all team members are bench personnel and are penalized accordingly. If the conduct is flagrant, the team member shall be disqualified.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
10.4.1 SITUATION B: At halftime, as the teams, coaches, and officials are making their way through a hallway to the dressing room, a Team A member verbally abuses one of the officials. RULING: A technical foul is charged to the team member and is also charged indirectly to the head coach. During intermission all team members are bench personnel and are penalized accordingly. If the conduct is flagrant, the team member shall be disqualified.

This situation adresses conduct directed directly at an official, in person, by a player. This is different from the OP which dicusses a conversation that is overheard.

Not the same animal.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Then quite a few of us are full of it. As Ozzy and Kevin have stated what happens in a locker room (remember the OP does NOT have a face-to-face confrontation) stays in the locker room.

I would be shocked if any one of my partners reacted in anyway to something that is overheard.

Sorry we just see things differently.

Regards
You mean that the thing in Alaska where officials were penalized cause they were overheard talking about a team and coaches didn't happen? I mean, what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room, after all.

Referee Mag. Editorial on Taped Refs.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
How are you going to justify a prophylactic ejection?
Now you watch your tongue, there padna!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Now you watch your tongue, there padna!
There were several avenues I could have gone with that, but I chose to be the bigger man and pass.

....speaking of a bigger man, congrats on the weight loss, keep up the good work.