The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Charged Conferences-FED

Situation is as follows. If a defensive coach requests time for a defensive conference, then starts to walk out to the mound or any fair territory, but before crossing the foul line decides he does not need this conference anymore, can this still be charged as a defensive conference? I am reading 3-4-1, and can't exactly find anything that states when a conference truly begins.

Thanks
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Like you stated, I don't see anything that gives a clear ruling on when the conference started. Myself, I would use the foul line as my mark, unless he begins to speak to them from foul territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Situation is as follows. If a defensive coach requests time for a defensive conference, then starts to walk out to the mound or any fair territory, but before crossing the foul line decides he does not need this conference anymore, can this still be charged as a defensive conference? I am reading 3-4-1, and can't exactly find anything that states when a conference truly begins.

Thanks
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 01:00am

As long as the coach doesn't shout instructions to his players and does not cross the foul line, he can change his mind with no penalty.

The point is not covered in the FED rules or case book, but by official interpretation the umpire may charge a conference when the coach approaches the foul line and shouts instructions to the defense, trying to circumvent the charged conference rule.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

The defensive coach requests time for a conference with his team. PU grants time, stops play. That's a CHARGED CONFERENCE. It's like requesting time in football or basketball. You can't 'unring the bell'.

Bob
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 03:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra View Post
The defensive coach requests time for a conference with his team. PU grants time, stops play. That's a CHARGED CONFERENCE. It's like requesting time in football or basketball. You can't 'unring the bell'.

Bob
Oh, so the official interpretation is wrong according to you. I'll make a note of that in my BRD.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
As long as the coach doesn't shout instructions to his players and does not cross the foul line, he can change his mind with no penalty.

The point is not covered in the FED rules or case book, but by official interpretation the umpire may charge a conference when the coach approaches the foul line and shouts instructions to the defense, trying to circumvent the charged conference rule.
My BRD (2008) has the second part of what you say: the umpire MAY charge a conference if he judges that the coach is conferring with his players, no matter where to coach is on the field (OFF INTERP, §148 Conferences).

The first part of what you say does not logically follow from the second part, nor do I see it in the BRD. Specifically, nothing permits the coach to "change his mind" after having asked for time. If you could point me to the relevant passage, I'd be interested to see it.

In the meantime, I'll enforce this as I was taught: if I call time at the D-coach's request for a conference, then he's charged with a conference whether or not he uses it.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 11:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
My BRD (2008) has the second part of what you say: the umpire MAY charge a conference if he judges that the coach is conferring with his players, no matter where to coach is on the field (OFF INTERP, §148 Conferences).

The first part of what you say does not logically follow from the second part, nor do I see it in the BRD. Specifically, nothing permits the coach to "change his mind" after having asked for time. If you could point me to the relevant passage, I'd be interested to see it.

In the meantime, I'll enforce this as I was taught: if I call time at the D-coach's request for a conference, then he's charged with a conference whether or not he uses it.
This is what constitutes a conference by rule:

A charged conference is a meeting which involves the coach or his non-playing representative and a player or players of the team (2-10-1).

And, the wording of the interpretation in my outdated copy of the BRD (2005) leads me to believe that as long as the coach does not confer with his players, that he would not be charged with a conference if he changes his mind.

I sure wouldn't charge a conference without an actual conversation taking place. They only get 3 for a 7 inning game to start with, and I'm not going to rob the coach of one of these valuable commodities if he doesn't talk to anyone.

If the coach confers with a player in foul territory, it is a charged conference and the conference ends when the coach initially starts to return to the dugout (3-4-3). Following this logic, the conference cannot begin until he actually starts conferring with a player.

If the conversation took place in fair territory, the conference is concluded when the coach crosses the foul line (3-4-3). He can, before crossing the foul line, turn around and return to the mound without being charged with another conference. Following this logic, the conference cannot begin until the coach crosses the foul line.

If I have a coach request time and then changes his mind before actually making a trip, I am certainly not going to be a hard-a$$ jerk and charge a conference for no good reason, other than to be a prick. It most certainly is not a trip in OBR if the coach changes his mind, and I can't see any reason to be punitive in a FED game.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 11:27am. Reason: additional information
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is what constitutes a conference by rule:

A charged conference is a meeting which involves the coach or his non-playing representative and a player or players of the team (2-10-1).

And, the wording of the interpretation in my outdated copy of the BRD (2005) leads me to believe that as long as the coach does not confer with his players, that he would not be charged with a conference if he changes his mind.

I sure wouldn't charge a conference without an actual conversation taking place. They only get 3 for a 7 inning game to start with, and I'm not going to rob the coach of one of these valuable commodities if he doesn't talk to anyone.

If the coach confers with a player in foul territory, it is a charged conference and the conference ends when the coach initially starts to return to the dugout (3-4-3). Following this logic, the conference cannot begin until he actually starts conferring with a player.

If the conversation took place in fair territory, the conference is concluded when the coach crosses the foul line (3-4-3). He can, before crossing the foul line, turn around and return to the mound without being charged with another conference. Following this logic, the conference cannot begin until the coach crosses the foul line.

If I have a coach request time and then changes his mind before actually making a trip, I am certainly not going to be a hard-a$$ jerk and charge a conference for no good reason, other than to be a prick. It most certainly is not a trip in OBR if the coach changes his mind, and I can't see any reason to be punitive in a FED game.
The bolded part above is pretty much the conclusion I've came to after thinking about it for a while. Not to get too off-topic, but is this a rule interpretation that could be protested by an opposing coach, for example if Coach A comes out, doesn't cross the line, doesn't confer with players and heads back to dugout? Coach B can argue that once I call time it should be a charged conference. I tell him that since Coach A didn't cross the line or confer with players, I will not charge him with a conference.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 11:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
The bolded part above is pretty much the conclusion I've came to after thinking about it for a while. Not to get too off-topic, but is this a rule interpretation that could be protested by an opposing coach, for example if Coach A comes out, doesn't cross the line, doesn't confer with players and heads back to dugout? Coach B can argue that once I call time it should be a charged conference. I tell him that since Coach A didn't cross the line or confer with players, I will not charge him with a conference.
I would point out rule 2-10-1, which defines what a charged conference is. It is not a conference by definition without a conversation taking place.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would point out rule 2-10-1, which defines what a charged conference is. It is not a conference by definition without a conversation taking place.
I'm with Steve.

We grant time and then the coach decides not to talk; he gets no charged conference. I've even let a coach off the hook who crossed the line (literally), but hadn't begun to speak or communicate with anyone. He just turned and looked at me and said he changed his mind. No conference.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Had this same situation happen in a JR Legion game this summer played under FED rules. I was the PU. D-Coach asks for time and gets halfway out, may have said one or two words to defense, and goes back in dugout. It appeared to me he was caught up in the moment and really didn't know what he was doing.

My partner wanted me to charge a conference. I did not. Yes, I could have but in my opinion the crap storm to follow was not worth it. I have charged visits/conferences to coaches who have tried to circumvent the rule on several occasions. I deemed this one as a coach who was confused about what he wanted to do. Partner later said he could see my point but I think he still would have charged a conference. I like the foul line as a demarcation unless a player comes to the coach and talks with him. I agree this is not cut and dry and others may work their games differently.

Lawrence
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence.Dorsey View Post
Had this same situation happen in a JR Legion game this summer played under FED rules. I was the PU. D-Coach asks for time and gets halfway out, may have said one or two words to defense, and goes back in dugout. It appeared to me he was caught up in the moment and really didn't know what he was doing.

My partner wanted me to charge a conference. I did not. Yes, I could have but in my opinion the crap storm to follow was not worth it. I have charged visits/conferences to coaches who have tried to circumvent the rule on several occasions. I deemed this one as a coach who was confused about what he wanted to do. Partner later said he could see my point but I think he still would have charged a conference. I like the foul line as a demarcation unless a player comes to the coach and talks with him. I agree this is not cut and dry and others may work their games differently.

Lawrence
Your partner was correct, there should have been a conference charged in this case. Also, since when is Jr. Legion played by FED rules? In my State (and I thought others), Jr. Legion is played by Legion rules (basically OBR).
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ozzy,

In NC (I beleive the whole state but at least in Area III), JR Legion is played by FED rules. SR Legion is modified OBR like everywhere else. Why the difference? I have no idea.

Like I said, I am not saying I was correct. I am saying that's how I read and reacted to the situation. Could I have gotten him for a conference? Yes..It was just the situation as I read it didn't clearly call for a charged conference. This particular coach has a history of attitude issues but we have always gotten along OK. At this point, the game was progressing smoothly and I didn't deem he had gained much of an advantage except for calling "time" and choosing not to do anything with it. I figure we lost about 30-45 seconds and that was it. Had he crossed the foul line or a player come towards him to meet him, you bet I would have charged him. I have charged coaches who stop at the foul line and have a player come towards them.

I can think of less than five times this has happened in over 15 years of umpiring so I don't think it happens that often.

PS- When I said "halfway out" in the above post, I meant half way between the dugout and the foul line. He never came with a few feet of the foul line. It may not change your opinion on the sitch but I just wanted to clairfy.

Last edited by Lawrence.Dorsey; Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 04:41pm.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Steve,

Are you going to apply the same logic for an offensive conference? If the batter requests time, leaves the batter's box and changes his mind, would that constitute a charged offensive conference?
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
Steve,

Are you going to apply the same logic for an offensive conference? If the batter requests time, leaves the batter's box and changes his mind, would that constitute a charged offensive conference?
that's another tough one not specifically covered, but as they say "I know a conference when I see one"

It really all comes down to my judgement (and that goes for offensive or defensive)

We have guidelines which help, but ...

thanks
David