View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
As long as the coach doesn't shout instructions to his players and does not cross the foul line, he can change his mind with no penalty.

The point is not covered in the FED rules or case book, but by official interpretation the umpire may charge a conference when the coach approaches the foul line and shouts instructions to the defense, trying to circumvent the charged conference rule.
My BRD (2008) has the second part of what you say: the umpire MAY charge a conference if he judges that the coach is conferring with his players, no matter where to coach is on the field (OFF INTERP, §148 Conferences).

The first part of what you say does not logically follow from the second part, nor do I see it in the BRD. Specifically, nothing permits the coach to "change his mind" after having asked for time. If you could point me to the relevant passage, I'd be interested to see it.

In the meantime, I'll enforce this as I was taught: if I call time at the D-coach's request for a conference, then he's charged with a conference whether or not he uses it.