The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Let their mistakes work for you

There has been a lot of discussions going on about how bad the LL and MLB guys are. With TV the way it is today, we are going to see a lot more calls that are questionable. So instead of b*tchin and moanin, use those mistakes to make yourself better. Ask yourself "Why did he miss that call," or "what would I do in that same situation?" I'm sure after reviewing mistakes that are made, they try to figure out what went wrong. Put your jealosy and envy aside. And believe me, when it comes down to it, you're not as good as you think you are. I include myself in that assesment as well. I would love to tape one of you "they suck" guys and show you your many flaws. It's easy being the best and all knowing umpire when it comes to the internet.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

And the purpose of this post is . . . ?

Regards,
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,
Please see title...
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Please see my original post.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Just venting a little I guess, Tim. Helps me keep my perspective.

Take it for what it's worth. Thought I might be able to drum up some constructive dialog.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 05:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,
I guess it was to tell us how much we really suck, when we really don't suck, I dunno.

It ain't so easy being the best all knowing and seeing umpires on the internet. It's a hard job, but somebody has to do it!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Tee,

I think the original poster's point was that we should try and learn from the mistakes we see televised umpires make, so that we don't make these mistakes ourselves. It's a good idea, but a lot of the mistakes these guys make are mechanical, and most of us already know the correct mechanic.

Out of curiousity Tee, how good are you (strikezone, game management, judgment calls, mechanics, rules knowledge, etc)?
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Out of curiousity Tee, how good are you (strikezone, game management, judgment calls, mechanics, rules knowledge, etc)?
Enough better than you to where you should take his advice and thank him every time he gives it to you.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

I agree with learning from MY MISTAKES and others. I have never had an evaluation that was perfect. With as many 2 and 3 man camps I have been to I still have never worked that perfect game. ( always striving for but haven't achieved yet). Umpires should never bash the other brothers that have the BALLS to umpire what ever level they do. So I would say always try and learn from every umpire that you see work or that you work with.We can always find ways to improve our games whether we are seasoned veterans or the newest umpire. Just my thoughts.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Tee,

canadaump6,

Although I've only seen him work once (HS Varsity, 2-man), I'd have to say he's pretty f#@&in' good.

I think I might actually be a little better on "rules knowledge" than he is, but on all the other things you mention (which are actualy more important in terms of being a good umpire), I would have to say he's in a higher "league" than I.

JMO.

JM
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Enough better than you to where you should take his advice and thank him every time he gives it to you.
Way to make things confrontational.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He didn't make things confrontational. You asked a question, he answered it (and gave an answer to which I agree).
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
If it makes you feel better, I gladly take his advice too...
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

We all make mistakes, we all miss pitches, we all boot a call from time to time. Were human. With time, experience (innings) and training we do this less and less. Unfortunately for those that work at a high enough level that there are t.v. cameras catching every move, when they do make a mistake, it's there for all to see. Personally, it makes me feel good to see the best of the best make a mistake once in a while, it shows there's hope for all of us yet.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 01:11pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
We all make mistakes, we all miss pitches, we all boot a call from time to time. Were human. With time, experience (innings) and training we do this less and less. Unfortunately for those that work at a high enough level that there are t.v. cameras catching every move, when they do make a mistake, it's there for all to see. Personally, it makes me feel good to see the best of the best make a mistake once in a while, it shows there's hope for all of us yet.
agreed