The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Admitting to your mistakes?

We all know it happens from time to time. But how often do you all own up to the mistake to coaches?

Last night during a varsity double header, my partner wasn't necessarily the best partner to have. He blew a couple of calls (out in the field the first game) and, granted, I knew the call was wrong but until he directly asks me for help, I am not going to interject in his decision making. In between half innings, the coach came and asked me if I agreed with the call and of course I did. I am not going to throw the man under the bus.

The second game I was out in the field and missed a balk (the pitcher failed to come to a distinct set position). Not that this is an excuse, but I swear that kid threw as many pitch off throws to first as he did pitches to the plate that inning (and it wasn't a short inning). I missed it and knew it I missed it. The 1st base coach came rolling over to me between innings and politely asked, "Is he coming set on all those pitches?" Without any thought I replied, "I missed one coach but all the other ones were legal. I'll be sure to continue to keep an eye on it." He said, "Ok. Thanks"

I can't say I've ever admitted to a coach directly that I missed a call as I did last night. Do you all think that it ruin my creditability with this coach? Of course, I'm not going to make it a habit to admit my mistakes but I just wasn't thinking when he approached me. In my eyes, if an umpire said that to me, I would be at ease with the situation because he obviously is paying attention to the game and will make sure to be on top of that call in the future.

-Josh
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

If the coach is being reasonable, I wouldn't have a problem with quietly admitting to him that I missed a call. If a coach comes up to me and asks about my partner's call, I am going to tell him to talk to the umpire who made the call.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
We all know it happens from time to time. But how often do you all own up to the mistake to coaches?

The 1st base coach came rolling over to me between innings and politely asked, "Is he coming set on all those pitches?" Without any thought I replied, "I missed one coach but all the other ones were legal. I'll be sure to continue to keep an eye on it." He said, "Ok. Thanks"
You have to be careful when you admit a mistake to a coach and it doesn't come back and "bite" you

Example: you know you missed a balk call. The OM requests time (before the next pitch IW etc.) and says "Blue he did not come set" to which you reply "skip I missed it"

The OM now says Blue please enforce. Now if you do not enforce the Balk the manager will then protest and in his report will indicate that you indeed said "You missed it" I have seen it happen.

Try to answer in generic terms. Using your example: you could simply have said "skip will keep an eye out for it" without admitting that you "missed it"

Pete Booth
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

You have to be careful when you admit a mistake to a coach and it doesn't come back and "bite" you

Example: you know you missed a balk call. The OM requests time (before the next pitch IW etc.) and says "Blue he did not come set" to which you reply "skip I missed it"

The OM now says Blue please enforce. Now if you do not enforce the Balk the manager will then protest and in his report will indicate that you indeed said "You missed it" I have seen it happen.

Try to answer in generic terms. Using your example: you could simply have said "skip will keep an eye out for it" without admitting that you "missed it"

Pete Booth
Typically I take the approach of "I will keep an eye on it" but he caught me a little at ease. I think I was surprised more than he was that I said that.

-Josh
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Honesty will earn you more respect than trying BS your way through it.

"Coach, I missed it. I'll work harder not to miss another." The end.

Coaches (some, anyway) understand you're human. They just want confirmation you're not an idiot too.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 02:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

Pete Booth
Nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense.

I'm not going to admit such a thing during the inning and I'm not going to stop play to discuss a balk (or non-balk) call.

Between innings, I'll be happy to tell him I kicked one. Big deal - not like it happens often.

Why do officials worry so much about protests? I've had 2 in 20 years and both were protests I recorded that I *knew* would get thrown out immediately.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a complete list of all the mistakes (and the situation in which the mistake occurred) that I've admitted to coaches I made:
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I have done this only on dead-red non-strike calls (accompanied by cranial fletus), discreetly, to coaches whom I knew not to be b@llbusters.

Besides, I got every other call right. For 31 years. Go figure.

ace in CT
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
In my view, there is only one way to answer the question the coach asked in the OP. That answer is "Yes, or I would have balked him". You can add, " and I'll keep watchin closely".

That coach, like all the other's, is just trying to get in your head to get his team a slight edge. Pure and simple. I am very likely to be very tuned in to how HIS pitcher is pitching for the rest of the game as well.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 01:33am

I thought I got a call wrong once...but I was mistaken.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara

Last night during a varsity double header, my partner wasn't necessarily the best partner to have. He blew a couple of calls (out in the field the first game) and, granted, I knew the call was wrong but until he directly asks me for help, I am not going to interject in his decision making. In between half innings, the coach came and asked me if I agreed with the call and of course I did. I am not going to throw the man under the bus.

The second game I was out in the field and missed a balk (the pitcher failed to come to a distinct set position). Not that this is an excuse, but I swear that kid threw as many pitch off throws to first as he did pitches to the plate that inning (and it wasn't a short inning). I missed it and knew it I missed it. The 1st base coach came rolling over to me between innings and politely asked, "Is he coming set on all those pitches?" Without any thought I replied, "I missed one coach but all the other ones were legal. I'll be sure to continue to keep an eye on it." He said, "Ok. Thanks"

I can't say I've ever admitted to a coach directly that I missed a call as I did last night. Do you all think that it ruin my creditability with this coach? Of course, I'm not going to make it a habit to admit my mistakes but I just wasn't thinking when he approached me. In my eyes, if an umpire said that to me, I would be at ease with the situation because he obviously is paying attention to the game and will make sure to be on top of that call in the future.

-Josh
Sounds good in theory, but probably not something that I would get in a habit of.

Certainly I've told a coach "I might have missed that call", but it's always going to be a coach that I've been around the block with many many times and he and i both know that "I might have missed the call".

But I've found its better to "play on" and keep the coach guessing as to what's going on in your head.

Thanks
David
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 01:53am
Do not give a damn!!

About the only mistake I will admit to is a rules mistake or something along those lines. I will not admit judgments or plays I am in position to see clearly. Coaches for the most part are looking at the game through their prism. I do not put much stock in much they have to say about anything I am doing.

Peace
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not put much stock in much they have to say about anything I am doing.

Peace
I put NO stock in anything a coach says about my job--brickbats or treacle. If one of them thinks that, say, F3 pulled his foot, I probably thought about before they did, and decided not to get help.

ace
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I put NO stock in anything a coach says about my job--brickbats or treacle.
I just don't hear that expression enough anymore. Thank the dog for Ace.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Admit nothing to a coach. Nothing. There is no benefit, and the downside can be substantial.

To every whine/request/petulance of a coach, a repeated "I'll keep an eye on it" will do nicely.

This 'earn their respect' by confessing errors is nuts. That only tells the coach that you are a soft touch who can be 'worked' for calls...and word gets around. The umpire coaches respect is the one that a) doesnt make mistakes, and b) if he did, he wouldn't go Oprah to a coach on the field.

If you work where you can enter confessional and the coaches don't use that as a weapon, then you aren't working competitive baseball. Aim higher.