Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Tee,

Out of curiousity Tee, how good are you (strikezone, game management, judgment calls, mechanics, rules knowledge, etc)?
I've never seen Tim C. work as we have an entire country between us (I am on the Atlantic Ocean, he is on the Pacific Ocean). However, Tim & I have been discussing umpiring for close to 3 decades. This goes back to the days of Bill Boards and that was before you were on this Earth (You once stated you were 22 or 23?) . We have the same desire to work hard and be the best we can. We both enjoy training new umpires (that are willing to learn) and observe other umpires to aid them in their development. We work on the rules just about every day in one way or another. We are proud of our craft and tough teachers. That is what makes our students the best that they can be.

We both love our Country and do not take too kindly to those who think they know "the real American". Many thought they "knew" us in years gone by - just ask a "son of the rising sun" or a goose stepping madman. They thought they knew the Real American but what they didn't know as well as they thought!
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Tee,

I think the original poster's point was that we should try and learn from the mistakes we see televised umpires make, so that we don't make these mistakes ourselves. It's a good idea, but a lot of the mistakes these guys make are mechanical, and most of us already know the correct mechanic.

Out of curiousity Tee, how good are you (strikezone, game management, judgment calls, mechanics, rules knowledge, etc)?
You don't get it...do you (rhetorical)

I don't know Tim from s^*&...but I can bet you he is not a LL umpire, to which you are referencing about umps on TV...

Mechanics are honed over years of umpiring...someday maybe your skills might be as good as Tim's... again, I don't know you either, but I could probably pick out who is who if you both walked on the field together
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 11:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I've never seen Tim C. work as we have an entire country between us (I am on the Atlantic Ocean, he is on the Pacific Ocean). However, Tim & I have been discussing umpiring for close to 3 decades. This goes back to the days of Bill Boards and that was before you were on this Earth (You once stated you were 22 or 23?) . We have the same desire to work hard and be the best we can. We both enjoy training new umpires (that are willing to learn) and observe other umpires to aid them in their development. We work on the rules just about every day in one way or another. We are proud of our craft and tough teachers. That is what makes our students the best that they can be.

We both love our Country and do not take too kindly to those who think they know "the real American". Many thought they "knew" us in years gone by - just ask a "son of the rising sun" or a goose stepping madman. They thought they knew the Real American but what they didn't know as well as they thought!
I have watched him work. You hit the nail on the head.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Canada, I've been around a bit longer then you have, and I still listen intently to what Tee has to say in this forum. I also listen to what you say as well, because I believe everyone has something to offer.

I'm surprised that you would question Tee's qualifications as an umpire, as I am sure you have seen his numerous posts and responses. Did you ask that question to provoke him? Pray tell, not.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

I too have been doing this a long time. I would jump at the chance to work with Tim C...and a handful of others on this forum in a heartbeat.....his no nonsense approach is a breath of fresh air in a in a mamby pamby pc world.

I love working with people who challenge me..makes me REALLY think when most just get by.To know my partner is on the same page is always more fun.....

WAIT...what if I fail????? What if the coaches don't like me???Just kidding...that ain't gonna happen......respect is earned..both ways..and it's a great feeling. So is dumping a nig-nog coach.....an altogether different kind of fun....but thats another thread...

griff

American by birth...Christian by choice.....

NRA life member
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Amen, brother Griff!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

I did not ask Tee to provoke him. I was just curious.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 07:51am
Stop staring at me swan.

IMO Tim has come off as a bit abrasive and sensitive on here...hopefully he doesn't carry that same attitude on the field...I'll never know and I'm okay with that.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

there is a point here

You know what, I would give my left arm to be on TV, and be evaluated as an umpire by millions of people.

Heck, I would love to be evaluated by somebody. I may get that chance this Fall for the first time in years, to be evaluated by guys who know what is going on, as opposed to some clueless HS coach who doesn't even understand baseball, more or less umpiring.

I think it is great to have people discuss even your misses on a forum like this, because there is a ton of pressure to perform, and as a mentor of mine from years ago said: "Umpiring is one job where you have to be perfect the first day and get better after that."

Frankly, one of the problems a lot of umpires I see have is that they do not react well under pressure, or know how to deal with it. Part of it is they don't ever do games that have a lot of pressure in them, and part of it is they never stress themselves to get better. So when they move up a level, or get into a championship game, they don't know how to handle pressure. They freeze, or choke, and then they get discouraged, or quit.

Good sports officials understand pressure, they learn to love it, and live in it. That is when they are at their best. It is also a reason the best umpires get the best games, they not just know rules and mechanics and the unwritten rules, they know how to deal with a situation where there is a lot riding on this game/moment/call.

And watching the guys on TV, even LL guys in Williamsport is great because you can learn how to react in a pressure situation, or at least see guys perform under pressure. Even when MLB guys make mistakes, it is very instructive to see how they handle things, and how they respond. It is a lot better than most umpires, and it is worth seeing.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
IMO Tim has come off as a bit abrasive and sensitive on here...
IMO, nothing can be further from the truth.

It is the opposite. Too many posters are sensitiive.

A poster starts an OP by asking for advice or comments on a particular play they had, baseball ruling they are unsure of or dealings with a coach or player.

They in turn receive T's advice/ comment on the situation based upon his experience in dealing with similar situations plus the tone of the OP. It's difficult sometimes to truly understand what a person is getting at without having that face-face discussion.

Tee will provide his commentary and then the poster will disagree with those comments etc. and then say that Tee is abrasive etc.

Therefore, if you do not want an opinion or critique then why bother asking in the first place.

As Ozzy I have never met Tee. I am from the East Coast and Tee is from the Left coast as we say in NY. From all my dealings on the internet with Tee he is a Straight-up guy. I would also like to work with him not only from a learning experience but because I would also have fun.

I learned because I was able to take constructive ctiticism. It's been my experience that when someone says nothing etc. that person does not give a rats you know what about you or could care less if you improve or not.

And No I have not always agreed with Tee but that's what the discussions are all about.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 11:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
IMO Tim has come off as a bit abrasive and sensitive on here...hopefully he doesn't carry that same attitude on the field...I'll never know and I'm okay with that.
I'm with Pete Booth. It's others who are sensitive and get their feelings hurt way too easily.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

If you get your feelings hurt by written words on an internet forum, what is gonna happen when you have a real live fire breathing, pickled tuna breath, vein popping HS varsity head coach on your ***? Put him on your iggy list??

-----------------------
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 03:05pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
If you get your feelings hurt by written words on an internet forum, what is gonna happen when you have a real live fire breathing, pickled tuna breath, vein popping HS varsity head coach on your ***? Put him on your iggy list??
The difference is that on the field there are times I expect a rat to come out of the hole breathing fire...on an internet discussion forum among adult, umpire colleagues, calling someone and idiot for a perfectly normal post, is not my idea of helping each other out and offering that constructive criticism...many of us in here can take the heat...not the blatant disrespect on an internet forum where umpires young and old come for advice and to discuss issues...
Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think there is any blatant disrespect here, or maybe I haven't seen it personally. Healthy disagreement and/or passionatly held positions are a good thing to keep this forum alive.

-----------------------
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Enough better than you to where you should take his advice and thank him every time he gives it to you.
Not when it is delivered in the egocentric, imperious and unprofessional manner in which he often delivers it. He excludes people in order to feel or appear more prominent.

Well, this noble and honorable vocation needs new members. And new members are more likely to appear and be willing to endure the sacrifice and devotion if they are welcomed and not demeaned and shunned. This Tim C. guy is just as glaring a symbol of what is wrong with umpiring as he is a shining example of what is right.
Closed Thread