The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I was running the clock for my younger brother’s game tonight. The officials were first year officials from our chapter. (I am also a first year official.) They did some things that there was no doubt in my mined were wrong. For the AP throw-in to start the 2nd, 3rd, and forth quarters they threw the ball in wherever the previous quarter had ended not opposite table. There were some other procedural things like not getting the coaches to sign the book or indicate starters. I did not want to seem like I was in charge and not them, but It really bugs me when people don't know what they are doing. I didn't say anything because don't want to seem like a know-it-all. In the past, I have had veteran official not sure how many time outs a team gets. Since they said they weren’t sure when the scorers ask, and I was positive, I helped them out. How would you handle this?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
At half time or at the end of the game, I would have talked to them.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Do your job, stay out of their business. If they ask you for help or ask you questions after the game, "Did you see anything we need to work on?" then answer. Otherwise, keep your trap shut. There are far worse things that can happen than inbounding the ball at the wrong spot.

Two questions:

1- Why are two first year officials working together?

2- Why would it be necessary for the coach to sign the scorer's book?
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Do your job, stay out of their business. If they ask you for help or ask you questions after the game, "Did you see anything we need to work on?" then answer. Otherwise, keep your trap shut. There are far worse things that can happen than inbounding the ball at the wrong spot.

Two questions:

1- Why are two first year officials working together?

2- Why would it be necessary for the coach to sign the scorer's book?
1-That's the way it worked out. I have at leas 6 games so far where my partner is another first year official. We were told this would not happen but our chapter is 80 officials short.

2-We have been told to get the coach to sign the bottom of the scorer's book when he verifies the lineups.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
2-We have been told to get the coach to sign the bottom of the scorer's book when he verifies the lineups.
Just very odd. I've never heard of an association requiring such a thing.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Just one thing, as a first year official never give your insights into someone elses officiating, unless asked, and even then be careful what you say. After 2 or 3 years you'll have more knowlege and experience to help the rookies, and they'll know you've been around and will listen to you.
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Why do the coaches have to sign the book? What level of play is this? This is a new one for me.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Why do the coaches have to sign the book?
In some areas, coaches are required to sign the scorebook so that there is "proof" that they approve of the names and numbers listed. The theory is that once they sign the book, any T for changing the book is their own fault, since they already admitted that they inspected it and said it was ok.

We don't do that here, but I have heard of it.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

go stars,
I would be careful about offering much from the table. The guys on the court will get it right or not. It's frustrating to see them messing up royally, but that's how it goes some nights.
I know of a young newly licensed official who strutted around like Barney Fife. He decided to throw out an extremely good 15 year veteran official who was keeping the visitor's book for his daughter's 8th grade team. All the father said was "call 10 seconds" after the home team's guard had dribbled in the back court for more than 15 seconds. When the father agreed to leave, the ref told him to sit down and stay at the table. (Go figure!)
After the game the AD apologized to the father/scorekeeper and told the ref that his service wouldn't be needed anymore that year.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
go stars,
I would be careful about offering much from the table. The guys on the court will get it right or not. It's frustrating to see them messing up royally, but that's how it goes some nights.
I know of a young newly licensed official who strutted around like Barney Fife. He decided to throw out an extremely good 15 year veteran official who was keeping the visitor's book for his daughter's 8th grade team. All the father said was "call 10 seconds" after the home team's guard had dribbled in the back court for more than 15 seconds. When the father agreed to leave, the ref told him to sit down and stay at the table. (Go figure!)
After the game the AD apologized to the father/scorekeeper and told the ref that his service wouldn't be needed anymore that year.
Well, the scorer should keep his mouth shut regardless of his experience officiating. The AD apologized to the wrong person.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 07:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Well, the scorer should keep his mouth shut regardless of his experience officiating. The AD apologized to the wrong person.
Amen, Rich. That's something that we tell our guys in the first meeting every year. You do NOT publically criticize another official. Ever. You do so at your own risk. The "young newly licensed official" was in a learning experience, and instead of being helped, he got stabbed in the back and lost a valuable chance to gain more, much-needed experience in that league. Being cocky is just a phase that most new officials go through, usually early in their officiating career. It gets whipped out of them with experience.

If the father/official had help or criticism to offer, it should have been privately and after the game.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 09:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
go stars,
Two thoughts. First of all, I agree with Rich and the old guy that Dad should have kept quiet, regardless of how arrogant the newby was being. First, as a fellow official, and secondly as a scorekeeper.
Secondly, once the ref tried to toss him, Dad should have made the ref stand by his actions and just left. Should have simply called his bluff and walked out.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Its a loose - loose situation. Better swallow till after the game, but that can be very hard.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I think I did the right thing by keeping it to myself unless asked.

Here another question. A is awarded a 1&1. The first shot is missed but a lane violation is called. The replacement shot is made. A1 is entitled to another shot because she made the first shot of a 1&1. The table did not do anything. Was that an instance when the table should have got involved? I am not surprised they didn't because even if they had noticed the team that got shorted was the visitors.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Man in Grey
Its a loose - loose situation.
How loose was it? Maybe you could use a belt. Or was it informal -- you know, loosey-goosey?