The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 19, 2002, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

I am reading through my rule book (got it Wednesday) and came across correctable mistakes. Read it three times. Can someone explain this to a new official in English. In football, there is little that can be corrected and it has to be done before the snap. Is this a similar concept?
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 12:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Do you mean Correctable Errors?

Peace
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 03:34am
In Memoriam

A "correctible mistake" is a book-keeping mistake that is made by the official scorer.Some examples are counting a 3 point basket a 2,giving the points for a basket or foul shot to the wrong team,charging the wrong player with a foul,charging the wrong team with a time-out,etc.The referee must have firm knowledge that a mistake has been made by the scorer before he can correct it. Book-keeping mistakes can be corrected at any time by the referee until he approves the final score at the end of the game.Covered in Fed R2-11--11.

A "correctible error" is limited to 5 specific situations,and only comes into play when a rule is inadvertantly set aside.These situations are listed in R2-10-1(too lazy to write 'em all down).Correctible errors can only be corrected by an official if they are recognized during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started following the error.After that,they can't be changed.Covered in Fed R2-10.

Basically,there are two seperate classifications,and there are two seperate ways to handle them.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Breaking it down

Maybe this will help. BTW, I'm doing this more for me
than for you!

The five correctable errors:

a. Failure to award a free throw
b. Award an unmerited FT
c. Permit the wrong player to attempt a FT
d. Shooting a FT at the wrong goal
e. Erroneously counting or canceling a score

You can see that 4 of these deal explicitely with free
throws. The fifth one is different from book keeping
errors, which can be corrected at any time. Notice that
giving the wrong team the ball during a throw-in is NOT
a correctable error- yes, this will happen during one of
your games, I guarantee it. :-)

To be correctable they must be recognized during the first
dead ball after the clock has started properly. This
means you have to know what makes the ball dead, rule 6.

However, if the error occurs when the clock is running
and the ball is dead (only concerns error e) then it
must be recognized before the second live ball after the error.

Time is never put back on the clock.

Points are never taken off, except points resulting
directly from errors b,c,d or e.

All fouls that happened remain EXCEPT those fouls
that happened DURING the ft of errors b,c or d. If the
foul is unsporting, flagrant, intentional or technical it
is NOT cancelled, regardless of when it happened.
Pay attention to the words in CAPS. Say during an unmerited
ft B1 pushes A1, not intentional. That foul is cancelled.
Of course it's not cancelled if the error is recognized
after the time limit. Say you T the coach during an
umnerited ft. The T is NOT cancelled.

If an error is corrected and you do not have to shoot ft's
then play is resumed from the point of interruption. If you
do have to shoot ft's (errors a,c,d) then you go to the POI
only if there has been a change in possesion since the error
occurred. Otherwise you line the players up & shoot as you normally would.

The NFHS case book on this is very good. It covers just
about everything.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
A "correctible mistake" is a book-keeping mistake that is made by the official scorer.Some examples are counting a 3 point basket a 2,giving the points for a basket or foul shot to the wrong team,charging the wrong player with a foul,charging the wrong team with a time-out,etc.The referee must have firm knowledge that a mistake has been made by the scorer before he can correct it. Book-keeping mistakes can be corrected at any time by the referee until he approves the final score at the end of the game.Covered in Fed R2-11--11.

A "correctible error" is limited to 5 specific situations,and only comes into play when a rule is inadvertantly set aside.These situations are listed in R2-10-1(too lazy to write 'em all down).Correctible errors can only be corrected by an official if they are recognized during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started following the error.After that,they can't be changed.Covered in Fed R2-10.

Basically,there are two seperate classifications,and there are two seperate ways to handle them.
Here's the text of 2.10.1
SECTION 10 CORRECTABLE ERRORS
ART. 1 . . . Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in:

a. Failure to award a merited free throw.
b. Awarding an unmerited free throw.
c. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw.
d. Attempting a free throw at the wrong basket.
e. Erroneously counting or canceling a score.

ART. 2 . . . In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.
ART. 3 . . . If in Article 1e the error is made while the clock is running and the ball dead, it must be recognized by an official before the second live ball.
ART. 4 . . . If the error is a free throw by the wrong player or at the wrong
basket, or the awarding of an unmerited free throw, the free throw and the activity during it, other than unsporting, flagrant, intentional or technical fouls, shall be canceled.

ART. 5 . . . Points scored, consumed time and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, shall not be nullified. Errors because of free-throw attempts by the wrong player or at the wrong basket shall be corrected by applying 8-1 and 2.
ART. 6 . . . If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point at which it was interrupted to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Dan. I think that helps the interpretation. I will go back and read the casebook to get a better understanding as well.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Fri Sep 20, 2002, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Football/Basketball comparison to Correctable Error.

Sleeper,

A basic way to understand Correctable Errors as it relates to football, all these errors can be corrected before the next live ball (very basic). There of course is more to it and certain situations you can stop play and correct situations in both basketball and football at weird times, but you usually are going to do it during dead ball periods. So as long as you understand when the ball is live and dead according to basketball rules, that is no differnet than understanding when you have a ready for play and when the ball is dead. Now obviously there is more to it, but this is a very basic understanding of how it works.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Hey, Sleeper,

But in working on the Correctible Errors rule, be sure you also review rule 10-1-8 and case book 10.1.8. This is REALLY a monkey wrench in the memory, but if you call it right that one time in five years, you will be the hero!