The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

leading off behind first base

I coach in a youth league that does not allow runners to lead off until the pitch crosses the plate. One coach has taught his runners at first to stand in foul territory with one foot on the bag in the belief they can get a "running start" before leaving the base.

My question is, is this legal?

I haven't brought it up to him or any umps, but I beleive it is not legal and here is why:

Rules call for all players to start in fair territory on every pitch and I know in older leagues where leadoffs are allowed the the baseman (First or Third) must start in fair territory when covering their base for a pick off attempt. I am using the same rational for base runners: They must start in fair territory, too.

Am I correct or wrong?

If right, I don't plan to raise it as the other team is getting an unfair advantage (I don't believe it actually helps his runners) but more as a basic learning/teaching opportunity of the rules so the kids are being properly taught.

Thanks
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmass
I coach in a youth league that does not allow runners to lead off until the pitch crosses the plate. One coach has taught his runners at first to stand in foul territory with one foot on the bag in the belief they can get a "running start" before leaving the base.

I haven't brought it up to him or any umps, but I beleive it is not legal and here is why:

Rules call for all players to start in fair territory on every pitch and I know in older leagues where leadoffs are allowed the the baseman (First or Third) must start in fair territory when covering their base for a pick off attempt. I am using the same rational for base runners: They must start in fair territory, too.

Am I correct or wrong?

If right, I don't plan to raise it as the other team is getting an unfair advantage (I don't believe it actually helps his runners) but more as a basic learning/teaching opportunity of the rules so the kids are being properly taught.

Thanks
The move is legal.

The rules only require that fielders be in fair territory. Runners on 3B lead off in foul territory as a matter of course.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, as long as they are in contact with the base with one foot it is legal.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 10:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Am I correct or wrong?

Thanks
If a runner on third is leading in fair ground, THAT would be bad coaching.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

You're Right, Wrong Reason

Quote:
Yes, it is legal. This is not a "running start" before leaving the base. Please remain quiet and enjoy the benefits of poor coaching. The defense doesn't really gain much advantage when the R increases the distance to his next objective by one step. Yet this same advantage applies when runner(s) take extra-wide turns around the bases.
[QUOTE=dmass]
Quote:
Am I correct or wrong?
Wrong. You stated the more appropriate rule which doesn't allow baserunners a "running start" by gaining mometum toward the next base from behind the base. This would be unfair to the defense for obvious reasons, such as SB, DP and retouch after a first touch.
Quote:
If right, I don't plan to raise it as the other team is getting an unfair advantage (I don't believe it actually helps his runners) but more as a basic learning/teaching opportunity of the rules so the kids are being properly taught. Thanks
Right again, and for all the right reasons.

Here's a link to a similar discussion about the lead at 1B.
Leading

Last edited by SAump; Sun May 18, 2008 at 11:19pm.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So let me get this straight: no leading off, so the kid is STANDING STILL, one foot on the base, and that gives him a "running start"? Sorry, I don't appreciate the finer points of coaching.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Watch NCAA softball, and you will see players launch themselves in this manner at first and second. It's actually good coaching, and gives your players an advantage to the next base. You launch when the ball is about 10 feet from the plate, thus putting the runner in motion, while still being in contact with the bag, when the ball reaches the batter.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. I will keep my mouth shut the next time we play them and also see if this manuever helps theri runners.

Also, I did think about runners at third leading off in foul territory but I guess I considered that "different" becasue they were moving in the diretion of the next base (i.e. home)

Anyway, thanks for all the input.