The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   leading off behind first base (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/44477-leading-off-behind-first-base.html)

dmass Sun May 18, 2008 08:29am

leading off behind first base

I coach in a youth league that does not allow runners to lead off until the pitch crosses the plate. One coach has taught his runners at first to stand in foul territory with one foot on the bag in the belief they can get a "running start" before leaving the base.

My question is, is this legal?

I haven't brought it up to him or any umps, but I beleive it is not legal and here is why:

Rules call for all players to start in fair territory on every pitch and I know in older leagues where leadoffs are allowed the the baseman (First or Third) must start in fair territory when covering their base for a pick off attempt. I am using the same rational for base runners: They must start in fair territory, too.

Am I correct or wrong?

If right, I don't plan to raise it as the other team is getting an unfair advantage (I don't believe it actually helps his runners) but more as a basic learning/teaching opportunity of the rules so the kids are being properly taught.

Thanks

Rich Ives Sun May 18, 2008 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmass
I coach in a youth league that does not allow runners to lead off until the pitch crosses the plate. One coach has taught his runners at first to stand in foul territory with one foot on the bag in the belief they can get a "running start" before leaving the base.

I haven't brought it up to him or any umps, but I beleive it is not legal and here is why:

Rules call for all players to start in fair territory on every pitch and I know in older leagues where leadoffs are allowed the the baseman (First or Third) must start in fair territory when covering their base for a pick off attempt. I am using the same rational for base runners: They must start in fair territory, too.

Am I correct or wrong?

If right, I don't plan to raise it as the other team is getting an unfair advantage (I don't believe it actually helps his runners) but more as a basic learning/teaching opportunity of the rules so the kids are being properly taught.

Thanks

The move is legal.

The rules only require that fielders be in fair territory. Runners on 3B lead off in foul territory as a matter of course.

mj Sun May 18, 2008 08:49am

In my opinion, as long as they are in contact with the base with one foot it is legal.

Rich Sun May 18, 2008 10:13am

Quote:

Am I correct or wrong?

Thanks

If a runner on third is leading in fair ground, THAT would be bad coaching.

SAump Sun May 18, 2008 10:45am

You're Right, Wrong Reason

Quote:

Yes, it is legal. This is not a "running start" before leaving the base. Please remain quiet and enjoy the benefits of poor coaching. The defense doesn't really gain much advantage when the R increases the distance to his next objective by one step. Yet this same advantage applies when runner(s) take extra-wide turns around the bases.
[QUOTE=dmass]
Quote:

Am I correct or wrong?

Wrong. You stated the more appropriate rule which doesn't allow baserunners a "running start" by gaining mometum toward the next base from behind the base. This would be unfair to the defense for obvious reasons, such as SB, DP and retouch after a first touch.
Quote:

If right, I don't plan to raise it as the other team is getting an unfair advantage (I don't believe it actually helps his runners) but more as a basic learning/teaching opportunity of the rules so the kids are being properly taught. Thanks

Right again, and for all the right reasons.

Here's a link to a similar discussion about the lead at 1B.
http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...n+the+outfield

mbyron Sun May 18, 2008 12:05pm

Quote:

So let me get this straight: no leading off, so the kid is STANDING STILL, one foot on the base, and that gives him a "running start"? Sorry, I don't appreciate the finer points of coaching. :rolleyes:

kylejt Sun May 18, 2008 12:34pm

Watch NCAA softball, and you will see players launch themselves in this manner at first and second. It's actually good coaching, and gives your players an advantage to the next base. You launch when the ball is about 10 feet from the plate, thus putting the runner in motion, while still being in contact with the bag, when the ball reaches the batter.

dmass Sun May 18, 2008 06:42pm

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. I will keep my mouth shut the next time we play them and also see if this manuever helps theri runners.

Also, I did think about runners at third leading off in foul territory but I guess I considered that "different" becasue they were moving in the diretion of the next base (i.e. home)

Anyway, thanks for all the input.