View Single Post
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

You're Right, Wrong Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmass
I coach in a youth league that does not allow runners to lead off until the pitch crosses the plate. One coach has taught his runners at first to stand in foul territory with one foot on the bag in the belief they can get a "running start" before leaving the base.
My question is, is this legal?
Yes, it is legal. This is not a "running start" before leaving the base. Please remain quiet and enjoy the benefits of poor coaching. The defense doesn't really gain much advantage when the R increases the distance to his next objective by one step. Yet this same advantage applies when runner(s) take extra-wide turns around the bases.
[QUOTE=dmass]
Quote:
I haven't brought it up to him or any umps, but I beleive it is not legal and here is why:
Rules call for all players to start in fair territory on every pitch and I know in older leagues where leadoffs are allowed the the baseman (First or Third) must start in fair territory when covering their base for a pick off attempt. I am using the same rational for base runners: They must start in fair territory, too.
Am I correct or wrong?
Wrong. You stated the more appropriate rule which doesn't allow baserunners a "running start" by gaining mometum toward the next base from behind the base. This would be unfair to the defense for obvious reasons, such as SB, DP and retouch after a first touch.
Quote:
If right, I don't plan to raise it as the other team is getting an unfair advantage (I don't believe it actually helps his runners) but more as a basic learning/teaching opportunity of the rules so the kids are being properly taught. Thanks
Right again, and for all the right reasons.

Here's a link to a similar discussion about the lead at 1B.
Leading

Last edited by SAump; Sun May 18, 2008 at 11:19pm.