View Single Post
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmass
I coach in a youth league that does not allow runners to lead off until the pitch crosses the plate. One coach has taught his runners at first to stand in foul territory with one foot on the bag in the belief they can get a "running start" before leaving the base.

My question is, is this legal?

I haven't brought it up to him or any umps, but I beleive it is not legal and here is why:

Rules call for all players to start in fair territory on every pitch and I know in older leagues where leadoffs are allowed the the baseman (First or Third) must start in fair territory when covering their base for a pick off attempt. I am using the same rational for base runners: They must start in fair territory, too.

Am I correct or wrong?

If right, I don't plan to raise it as the other team is getting an unfair advantage (I don't believe it actually helps his runners) but more as a basic learning/teaching opportunity of the rules so the kids are being properly taught.

Thanks
The move is legal.

The rules only require that fielders be in fair territory. Runners on 3B lead off in foul territory as a matter of course.