The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 11:39am

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

No Mr. Steve, I'm probably just as good of an umpire as you think you are. How do you get promoted to varsity as an umpire?
Dude, you wouldn't make a pimple on a real umpire's butt!

Maybe in your little podunk town, where coaches never get ejected, and the home team's uniforms never get dirty, they probably made you a varsity umpire right out of the box. But in the real world you work your way up to that level.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

No Mr. Steve, I'm probably just as good of an umpire as you think you are. How do you get promoted to varsity as an umpire?
Dude, you wouldn't make a pimple on a real umpire's butt!

Maybe in your little podunk town, where coaches never get ejected, and the home team's uniforms never get dirty, they probably made you a varsity umpire right out of the box. But in the real world you work your way up to that level.
Depends on what part of the real world one inhabits. In my area, the majority of umpires start at the high school level; some of them start at the varsity level.

On this board there are several umpires who started at the high school level. Tee, I know, started at the varsity level.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 01:31pm

Point taken.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 08:32pm

Never ran nobody either, for that matter.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpbrian
Where did we go wrong

Gentlemen,
I could care less whose is bigger or who got to varsity first. Let's please put away the petty bickering and get back to the subject of baseball. I do not claim to be a great umpire, I am just looking for a little insight into the game and its workings that I can use to improve myself. It is very discouraging to have to sift through 25 posts of endless inane banter just to find one worthwhile nugget. Not every post will please everyone and not everyone will agree on every rule. State your opinion and move on leave the personal jabs at home. It was once written..."An umpire is a loner. The restraints of his trade impose problems not normally endured by players, coaches, management, press and others connected with organized baseball. He is a friend to none. More often he is considered an enemy by all around him - including the fans in the stands who threaten his life." - Art Rosenbaum in The San Francisco Chronicle (1965) The only friends that we have are our fellow umpires who understand what we have to put up with. No sense in beating our own into submission. Just my two cents worth and thats at least three more than I have right now.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Baseball ump fees

I dont believe there should be a difference for working the plate vs bases. Both jobs are equally important and she be treated that way. Behind the plate is more action and activity but the big call at first base is just as important.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilump45
I dont believe there should be a difference for working the plate vs bases. Both jobs are equally important and she be treated that way. Behind the plate is more action and activity but the big call at first base is just as important.
WOW!!!!!

782 days later. How's that for timing?

Walt
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

At the local LL, I pay our Junior umpires on a sliding scale, plate/bases, Major/Minors. It creates an incentive to move up, and get better.

But, when I work for the local association, you'd damn well better be able to share the load, with no price differential. Unless a guy is disabled, and can only work one position or another, there's no excuse aside from being a p*ssy. It's one thing if your assignor says he's not ready yet. But quite another if says he only wants to work the bags.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpbrian
The only friends that we have are our fellow umpires ....

Speak for yourself. I have plenty of non-umpires friends. Hopefully, in the last two years, you do too. If not, you need a new hobby.