Thread: umpire fees
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Winn
I think paying extra for working the plate is bush-league. In these parts, the pay is the same, and if a guy refuses to work his share of games behind the plate, he doesn't last long. I PREFER to work the plate, and I prefer to work games with other umps that feel the same. That way, I am confident that my partner really wants to be there. If I work a game with a guy that has a reputation of not wanting the plate, I feel like he is just there for the game fee. When I work a big tournament game, or a late-season game with post-season implications, I consider it a privelege to work the plate.
I agree that there should not be any regular base guys. My association on Long Isalnd does not have such an animal. You will always have the partner or two who show up five minutes before the game knowing you'll get dressed for the plate. Some have actually been seen cruising around to see if their partner(s) are there.

I used to prefer the plate because I had more confidence there. over the past few years I feel equally comfortable on the bases. The PU blows a couple of pitches the game is not effected as much as the BU who misses a few calls!

All this said if I were in an Association that did allow permanent BU's I'd expect to get at least the $10.00 differential. Jim/NYC