View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 06:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
I imagine if you are in an area that has more umpires than needed, you can get away with mandated arrival 30 minutes before game time. When you are in an area that is chronically short on umpires, you have to accomodate people's schedules in order to put umpires on the field. It has more to do with logistical realities than the quality of the organization.

The NCAA has many more umpires willing to work than games available. They can enforce all kinds of rules that wouldn't fly for NFHS or summer league games.

We are also chronically short of umpires. We feel that it is better to turn away business or raise fees and have a quality product, than to put any old crap onto the field.

Umpires know better than to accept a game that they cannot make 30 minutes prior. I will admit however, that on occasion (usually for rec ball) we give them permission in advance to cut the 30 minute advance showing down to five or ten minutes when that is the only thing that will get them to accept the game. They have to have prior approval for this.

The Arbiter has on-line reporting. Show up five minutes before a game and your partner will make a computer entry in the game report reflecting this so the assignor will know.

Peter
There are times I miss working in a large association with all kinds of rules and opportunities for backstabbing -- then I see a post by Peter and I'm happy with my situation again. Thanks, Peter!