The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hello fellow umps. Would like some feedback on fees you get in your respective associations. We are having a lively discussion in my association about what, if any, difference there should be in pay between the plate and base assignment.We give the plate the extra 5.00 as it stands now. We received an increase this year and some of the members feel a 10.00 difference is justified due to expense of equipment, getting banged up etc. We have a lot more base umps who for only 5.00 difference refuse to get on the dish.
All comments will be appreciated.

Thanks and have a great year!
Bake17
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I think paying extra for working the plate is bush-league. In these parts, the pay is the same, and if a guy refuses to work his share of games behind the plate, he doesn't last long. I PREFER to work the plate, and I prefer to work games with other umps that feel the same. That way, I am confident that my partner really wants to be there. If I work a game with a guy that has a reputation of not wanting the plate, I feel like he is just there for the game fee. When I work a big tournament game, or a late-season game with post-season implications, I consider it a privelege to work the plate.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Winn
I think paying extra for working the plate is bush-league. In these parts, the pay is the same, and if a guy refuses to work his share of games behind the plate, he doesn't last long. I PREFER to work the plate, and I prefer to work games with other umps that feel the same. That way, I am confident that my partner really wants to be there. If I work a game with a guy that has a reputation of not wanting the plate, I feel like he is just there for the game fee. When I work a big tournament game, or a late-season game with post-season implications, I consider it a privelege to work the plate.
I agree that there should not be any regular base guys. My association on Long Isalnd does not have such an animal. You will always have the partner or two who show up five minutes before the game knowing you'll get dressed for the plate. Some have actually been seen cruising around to see if their partner(s) are there.

I used to prefer the plate because I had more confidence there. over the past few years I feel equally comfortable on the bases. The PU blows a couple of pitches the game is not effected as much as the BU who misses a few calls!

All this said if I were in an Association that did allow permanent BU's I'd expect to get at least the $10.00 differential. Jim/NYC
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
Here in the Santa Clara valley, norther CA., I've worked for the college, high school and summer baseball groups for a number of years and none of them support seperating umpires and giving seperate pay.
I think the main issue is that, while many who feel that working a plate is more difficult, they also feel that the base umpire can, and usually does, find it easier to get into 'crap' regarding his calls/duties.
Perhaps the rationale is simply this. What do you do if for some reason only the base umpire shows at a contest? Have the game cancelled ... no; call the game from behind the mound ... no; borrow equipment in order to work the plate ...no. It's far more equitible to have all umpires be prepared to work either assignment. It also makes it easier to know each day when you plan on working that you load all you gear w/o regard to a base or plate assignment.
We all know that anything, justified or unjustified, can happen and does happen from time to time. With that in mind all the organization that I belong to specifically design their scheduling operations so that a balanced scheduled is given to each and every umpire. With the software programs that are available for this purpose, it's very easy to remain aware of all umpires and the distribution of base and plate assignments so that they're evenly assigned. Also, it keeps most umpires from getting rusty in either position.
While it may sound nice on the surface, it's just not the best way to run an organization.

ED

Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Assigning Positions

Quote:
Originally posted by etbaseball
...it's very easy to remain aware of all umpires and the distribution of base and plate assignments so that they're evenly assigned. Also, it keeps most umpires from getting rusty in either position.

ED

Our association does not assign umpires to either position. It is up to the umpires for that game to decide. While rotation is more common it isn't mandatory. Usually if you had the plate last time we worked I have it today. But maybe I had a doubleheader earlier in the day that went into extra innings and I would prefer to not be behind the plate. Also I usually defer to my partner and I work with one or two guys who always want to work the plate. I don't think it is because they don't have confidence in me. It is just that they really feel more comfortable behind the dish.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to MemUmp#49 Send a message via Yahoo to MemUmp#49
Umpires Fee

Let me tell you this. I work D1 college Baseball and alot of summer adult college ball. If you don't have a enough money to buy some equipment then you need to find another hobby. If you don't want to work the plate then quit Umpiring. If you are going to arrive at the game 5 mins. before a single game because you don't want to work the plate then call me the night before the game and tell me you want me to work the game and I will work. I would rather be behind the plate any day you can have a lot more oppertunity to make mistakes on the bases then you do the plate. Balls and Strikes are confined by the batter and catcher and ump. In my view if you don't want to work the plate then you are probably not a good umpire nor will you be one.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Working two man, particularly at the college level is more difficult on the bases. Just too much area to cover, back end of double plays, check swings, interference calls, etc.

The pay should be equal for plate and base assignments!
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by bake17

Hello fellow umps. Would like some feedback on fees you get in your respective associations. We are having a lively discussion in my association about what, if any, difference there should be in pay between the plate and base assignment.We give the plate the extra 5.00 as it stands now. We received an increase this year and some of the members feel a 10.00 difference is justified due to expense of equipment, getting banged up etc. We have a lot more base umps who for only 5.00 difference refuse to get on the dish.
All comments will be appreciated.

I'm not saying you do not have to hustle, get into proper position, etc. while doing the bases, but if one wants to "make a name for themselves ", move up or do advanced ball, one better be able to take the dish

Normally, it "evens out" over the cource of the season. No-one or at least I think no-one wants the dish everyday esepcially when the Heat arrives, but no-one should refuse to do the plate either.

IMO, this is one of the drawbacks in not having an assignor assign Plate / base responsibilities. If the assignor does not assign Plate / base responsibilities, than some form of protocol should be established ie; the senior person on the crew decides etc.

If you do not have anything "Official" and you cannot get umpires to do the plate, then make it a $25.00 differential. In other words lets assume a $100.00 game FEE for 2 umps. The PU would get $65.00 and the BU $35.00. Now let's see who wants to do the plate.

Also, at least in summer ball, most weekend games are Double Dips both on Saturdays and Sundays, therefore, it's not a problem in assigning the responsibilities. One does the Plate the first game and then you switch.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Our association here in Southern Connecticut services High School & up. We get the same pay for bases or the plate. The job equals out in the long run anyway.

In most cases, the "extra pay" for the plate is in leagues or (heaven forbid) associations that have woossies for umpires!
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
i would have to say no more than a $5.00 difference. Other wise it aint fair to the base ump.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Late Penalty

Our association pays the same for plate and base work. If you have a plate assignment and you fail to arrive in time and the BU straps it on you are fined $10.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Buster
Angry

That sucks! In my association, the plate is not assigned, unless it's a big game and one guy is weak behind the plate. We keep track ourselves who did what the last game together and alternate. I, for one, don't mind where I work but if someone consistantly refused to work the plate, I would be ticked. We get the same fee for both.

Buster
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Mmmm..

My Assoc (200 umpires) is similar in NO pre assignment.
BUT, big game, whatever should not matter. I question the "weak behind the plate" comment. BOTH umpires and any game should be qualified to work that game. If one is "weak behind the plate" he sure as hell should not be on the bases for THAT game. Who ever came up with the idea that you can stick a weak official on the bases? Is he going to hide?

We also, keep track. But your statement about someone refusing to work the plate is illogical. That should be IMPOSSIBLE. If I work Wed with partner A and do the dish... if we work Sat... partner A has the plate, no questions asked. HE can't "refuse" It's not possible.

Quote:
Originally posted by Buster
In my association, the plate is not assigned, unless it's a big game and one guy is weak behind the plate. We keep track ourselves who did what the last game together and alternate. I, for one, don't mind where I work but if someone consistantly refused to work the plate, I would be ticked. We get the same fee for both.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

In one league you get $10 extra for working the plate (30/20). If only one ump shows, he gets the fee for base and plate. We get a lot of no-show base umps and happy plate umps.

In our area, umpires volunteer to do the big district games for free. I'm one of them, but I rarely get a plate.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
What was your primary MOS in the military, Thomas?

Tim.