The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Umpires Authority

Along with coaching, I am also a director for our local recreational baseball league which plays under Little League rules. A situation arose last weekend where a coach had displayed verbal unsportsman like conduct to one of our umpires. It happened before the game officially started, and just after it had ended, as the umpires were leaving the field. Before I speak to this coach, I wanted to make sure my facts were straight so I can deal with this coach.

When does an umpire assume authority of a baseball game, and when does that authority end. Can a coach be ejected before a game starts, or after it ends?

Thanks guys.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Check the rulebook. Once that home team hands over the lineup card the umpires are now in charge of the game. If someone says something to me before the lineups are handed over, I would simply tell the coach to save it for the plate meeting. If they insisted on continuing, I would ask the coach if they wanted to be around for the entire game or just the start of the plate meeting. If they continue, as soon as I get the lineup they would be tossed.

After the game, I'm not sure when "official" authority ends but I would write anything up that happened on or off the field right up to the time I drove away from the parking lot.

That is, if there is a fight between players in the parking lot after the game, I'm going to report it to the league office. If a coach follows me to the parking lot, cussing and swearing the whole time, I'm filing a report.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The umpires under OBR have their authority start once the home team line-up is handed to the UIC during the plate meeting. However, there are items covered in the rules that the umpires have authority to deal with pre-game.

In LL, the umpires must enforce the rules dealing with coaches warming up pitchers, catcher's wearing the proper head gear and other safety issues. More importantly, in your case, you have the authority and OBLIGATION to handle this problem, as does the President of a Little League.

Bottom line, if I was the umpire that had these pre-game issues with a coach, I would both deal with it at my level, but then refer it to the local administration of the league to be sure it never happened again.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I really appreciate your help on this, What is sad is this question relates to a t-ball coach. It seems the majority of issues I deal with are either t-ball coaches or t-ball parents.

I should also point out - I asked if a coach could be ejected after the game ends because we issue a mandatory one game suspension if a coach is ejected (first offense).

Thanks again.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach2535
I should also point out - I asked if a coach could be ejected after the game ends because we issue a mandatory one game suspension if a coach is ejected (first offense).
Yes, they can, and yes, I have.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 03:31pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Who cares...if this is happening in T-ball...who cares what the rules say...as commish of a t-ball league...you're obligated to make sure this isn't happening in your league...regardless of the rules...anybody who gets into arguments in a flippin' t-ball game has no business within 100 feet of a baseball field that has kids playing on it.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
You didn't say this was TBall. You have umpires for Tball? When I was involved, both as a coach and administrator, we didn't have umpires. My experience has been that usually there are 15 coachs on every Tball team, and missing one won't hurt anybody.

Invite the coach to stay home.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach2535
I really appreciate your help on this, What is sad is this question relates to a t-ball coach. It seems the majority of issues I deal with are either t-ball coaches or t-ball parents.

Thanks again.

Please remind the coach that it is T-BALL and not the world series. I hate a-holes that go crazy over t-ball games... sheesh!
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Let's get a real answer, shall we?

The Little League umpire is a league official, appointed by the president of the local league. As such, he/she has more power than your normal umpire. The power to eject comes when they hit the field. The lineup card part is only about the suitability of the playing field. They can eject up until the point of when they actually leave the field of play.

As a league official, your umpire reports to the president. One report to the boss, and any self respecting prez would bounce this clown from the league pronto.

If your league has umpires for T-Ball, your league is either insane, or in Texas. Seeing that LL doesn't allow for keeping score in T-Ball, I'm guessing you're outlaw league does pretty much as they see fit. So any guidelines set forth by LL doesn't really apply to your local situation if they aren't sanctioned by Little League Baseball Inc.

Back to your situation. You're the T-Ball Boss, act like it. Any colorful language, gone. Want to argue about a call, gone. Anything not suitable for a 5 year old to hear, gone. You need to have a sit-down, come to Jesus meeting with these clowns, and have a foot put on their neck. And that foot is you my friend.

Hike up your big boy pants, and get it done. You owe it to the midgets.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 01:11am

There are not umpires in T-Ball, unless they are little kids volunteering. The very idea...sheeeeesh.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 03:33am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
There are not umpires in T-Ball, unless they are little kids volunteering. The very idea...sheeeeesh.
Bzzzzzt, wrongo, Stephano. Whilst residing in the yonder GeorgiaLands, WJR acquired mucho contracts, 1500 hours per season, for yunguns to make $15 an hour learning the trade.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Unique to LL

Umpires have authority from the moment they step on the field until they leave the property.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
Umpires have authority from the moment they step on the field until they leave the property.
Not unique to just LL, FED umpires have have the same authority - and FED states that in the rule book. I believe LL only puts that in the case book.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Basically this is all I needed, although all comments are appreciated and warranted. Sometimes, as in this case, people must be reminded that coaching is a priviledge. T-ball is extremely problematic, as every parent, and parent coach thinks there kid is the next Chipper Jones. As the most troublesome league, it is usually our youngest and most inexperienced umpires that get these assignments. Unfortunately some coaches will take advantage of this and attempt to intimidate these young umpires. This is where I step in, and trust me all, these guys have, and will continue to get booted.

For the love of the game.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Why on earth are you keeping score, and using umpires in T-Ball? That's your first problem.