The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The coach's need to umpire Tball, they are on the field anyway. TBall does little to train young or inexperienced umpires anyway, so its basicall a waste of resources.

You must have a surplus of kids willing to umpire, which is a good problem to have.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
T ballers

You guys really Umpire T-Ball?
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Why not? They'll move up to coach pitch in 2 years.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Why not? They'll move up to coach pitch in 2 years.
You are joking, I take it? They actually move up to LL Minors after T-Ball.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
You are joking, I take it? They actually move up to LL Minors after T-Ball.
You don't have coach pitch in between Tball and Minors?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
You guys really Umpire T-Ball?
more improtant - what do ya pay???
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
You don't have coach pitch in between Tball and Minors?
No, after T-Ball they go straight to minors. 6-7 is T-Ball, 8-10 is typically Minors, 10-12 is typically Majors. No coach pitch in LL here.

In PONY Baseball, they have machine pitch at the two lowest levels, Shetland and Pinto. Modified OBR after Pinto.

I've never seen a coach throw a pitch in LL or PONY baseball, except in BP.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach2535
Umpires have authority from the moment they step on the field until they leave the property.

Basically this is all I needed, although all comments are appreciated and warranted. Sometimes, as in this case, people must be reminded that coaching is a priviledge. T-ball is extremely problematic, as every parent, and parent coach thinks there kid is the next Chipper Jones. As the most troublesome league, it is usually our youngest and most inexperienced umpires that get these assignments. Unfortunately some coaches will take advantage of this and attempt to intimidate these young umpires. This is where I step in, and trust me all, these guys have, and will continue to get booted.

For the love of the game.
Coach - you may have already figured this out, but T-Ball is most coaches and parents first exposure to organized sports for their kids. the only "role models" they have on how to behave come from watching MLB on TV and seeing managers rushing the field and kicking dirt on umpires. If that's how its done in the big leagues, its good for the T-ball league. My experience has been that as the kids start to get older and move up the league ranks, the parents and coaches behavior somewhat mellows.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

revealing age, but ....

Quote:
No, after T-Ball they go straight to minors. 6-7 is T-Ball, 8-10 is typically Minors, 10-12 is typically Majors. No coach pitch in LL here.

In PONY Baseball, they have machine pitch at the two lowest levels, Shetland and Pinto. Modified OBR after Pinto.

I've never seen a coach throw a pitch in LL or PONY baseball, except in BP.
When I played LL in the early '70s, the 7-8 age was coach pitch, and what they call Minors and Majors now was one age group - 9 to 12 y.o. - and that was just called "Little League."

FWIW.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 05:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp
When I played LL in the early '70s, the 7-8 age was coach pitch, and what they call Minors and Majors now was one age group - 9 to 12 y.o. - and that was just called "Little League."

FWIW.
I don't know where you played, but I played LL in El Cajon, California in San Diego County, in 1965 and 1966. I remember that I wasn't eligible to play any baseball until I was at least 8 years old and be turning 9 by a certain date. Minors and Majors all had tryouts together. If you didn't make Majors they stuck you in Minors. My first year was Minors. We wore hats and these incredibly hot, heavy nylon jerseys and our blue jeans. We all had rubber cleated baseball shoes. You didn't get full unis until Majors.

My second year, I made Majors. That year, they opened up a new division called Caps League for 7 and 8 year olds, which later evolved into what we know today as T-Ball. This may have very well been "Coach Pitch," but I don't know because I never went over to watch their games.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 06:04pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I don't know where you played, but I played LL in El Cajon, California in San Diego County, in 1965 and 1966.

We wore hats and these incredibly hot, heavy nylon jerseys and our blue jeans.
In 1965 and 1966 those heavy nylon jerseys weren't even in existence. Flannel perhaps, but not nylon. Players didn't start wearing those until into the early seventies. Why, because they weren't manufactured until then. They didn't even have the technology to heat press logos and numbers until the seventies.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 06:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
In 1965 and 1966 those heavy nylon jerseys weren't even in existence. Flannel perhaps, but not nylon. Players didn't start wearing those until into the early seventies. Why, because they weren't manufactured until then. They didn't even have the technology to heat press logos and numbers until the seventies.
I don't think you were there to say what we wore. They may not have been nylon (possibly Rayon), but they were certainly a synthetic fabric of some sort, not flannel. They were a shiny, rough, satiny fabric, very thick, and very warm. The team sponsor, always a local merchant, was iron-on patched on the front in a rectangle. Our numbers were iron-on as well. They were definitely not normal jerseys. I remember making Majors and loving the soft flannel jerseys and pants. They made us feel like real ball players finally.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

OBR Rule Please

I believe the authority begins when you walk through a door or gate onto the playing area and ends after exiting the playing area. There are a number of requirements of the umpire in 3.01 that must be handled before the plate meeting. I have never tossed a coach while coming onto the field, but I would. I have tossed after the last pitch and before I left.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach2535
Can a coach be ejected before a game starts, or after it ends?
Of course. The umpire should have umpire 101'd the guy before the game starts and there would be no problem at the end.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know where you played, but I played LL in El Cajon, California in San Diego County, in 1965 and 1966. ..snip...
I played in Mt. Airy, Maryland, and it would have been about the years 1972-77. The 7-8 age group, now that my memory has been jogged, was called Minors there, and it was definitely a coach pitch. The 9-12 division might have been call Majors, but I don't remember that terminology being used.