The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 05:28pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I don't think you were there to say what we wore. They may not have been nylon (possibly Rayon), but they were certainly a synthetic fabric of some sort, not flannel. They were a shiny, rough, satiny fabric, very thick, and very warm. The team sponsor, always a local merchant, was iron-on patched on the front in a rectangle. Our numbers were iron-on as well. They were definitely not normal jerseys. I remember making Majors and loving the soft flannel jerseys and pants. They made us feel like real ball players finally.
So now you are saying you wore artificial silk jerseys on the field. That is essentially what rayon is. I'm still having a hard time imagining how the numbers were put on with a hot iron and not scorch the fabric.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
So now you are saying you wore artificial silk jerseys on the field. That is essentially what rayon is. I'm still having a hard time imagining how the numbers were put on with a hot iron and not scorch the fabric.
I don't think it was "silk" exactly, I was just trying to describe the feel of the fabric. It was the kind of fabric that if you have callouses on your hands, that they would snag on the shirt when you run your hand over it. They were very hot and uncomfortable on really hot days.

I know what kind of shirts we wore, I just don't know what the fabric was called. After all, I was a fourth grader and it was over forty years ago. The patches were the iron on type, but I can't remember whether or not they were sewn on or not.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25