The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 17, 2001, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
O.K everyone check your pride at the door and please answer this question. Who would you
consider to be the best authority on Fed. rules? If you had a really tough question who would be
the one person you would want to answer your question? I have seen some names mentioned but
cannot remember where it was. The reason I am asking is because sometimes there are conflicting
answers on the boards. Thanks, Dave
Old Fri Aug 17, 2001, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
For Fed questions & interps, I'd seek Roger Greene's opinion. There are several of us here that are pretty good, but I think Roger has the best command of the Fed world that I've seen online.

I forgt to mention that for offline questions & interps, I've got a buddy who is on the Fed rules committee. So when I've got tons of time, I speak with him. This guy has the Fed book and several others practically memorized - along with case book plays and interps.

[Edited by Steve M on Aug 17th, 2001 at 01:24 PM]
Old Fri Aug 17, 2001, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Re Fed Rules

Roger is good judging from answers posted
but think that Steve is being a little bit
modest. He is also an excellent source to
go to when in need of an answer or assistance
with FED Rules. Joel, (Gulf Coast Blue) and
several others can also assist with most FED
problems.

These gentlemen can all also be very helpful
with ASA Fast and Slow pitch questions also.

Best way to find out is to ask your
question and I'll bet one of the three
and several others will come to your aide.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2001, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Steve.

But I agree with Glen, (he should include himself though). Talking with you guys can improve anyone's knowledge. (Giving an incorrect answer with yall around becomes a learning experience. And much less painful than making it on the field.)

Shipwreck,

Throw your question out here. In the end you generally end up with agreement on the correct interpertation. There may be a bit of discussion to clarify, but the guys (and gal) here rarely get personal and or hard-headed over it, and we all end up learning.

Roger Greene,
Member UT

Old Fri Aug 17, 2001, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Dave.........

I have a little bit different take on this........

First of all..........where was there a difference in interpretations on the boards??

For the most part we hash things out until we come to a concessus.......(rule citations......case book plays, etc.).

To answer your question........Roger is A-One.........but so is Steve and Sam on FED questions......(Mike is a closet FED guy............even though he does not particularly care for their rules or format..........grin).

Papa S has proved himself to be a good rules guy..........although he has not been around for a long time here........I don't remember him giving bad advice.

Dakota, although infrequent, is also usually right on.

I know I am missing some......but this is off the top of my head.......(while compiling a list to the grocery store in my head........grin).

I will admit that when a FED question comes up.......unless it is a no-brainer........I will wait for Steve, Sam, or Roger to come along.........(Mike too.......he is a good FED dude even though he may hate to admit it).

I HATE to be wrong..........so...........you will usually see me reference a rule or case-book situation to back up my post.

However, I do not care for the FED rule codification and will many times sit back and wait instead of searching for something myself...........where with an ASA question........I usually know where to look without a search...................grin. d;-)

Again.........where did you come across a differing of opinions that made you ask this question?

Maybe a local guy that does not agree with something you saw here........

Give us a situation.........I bet we can convince you.....

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Aug 17th, 2001 at 08:33 PM]
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Here is one that I was given conflicting rules interpretation.

From Federation ball 2000 rule book Rule 6 Art.1a note: It is an illegal pitch if the pitcher places
her pivot foot on the pitcher's plate, brings her hands together and then changes the ball from one
hand to the other.
I cannot find this rule in the 2001 rule book. Any help would be appreciated. P.S I found this rule
in the 1999 rule book also. Dave
Some say it is still an illegal pitch this year, and another says it is not. Thanks, Dave
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re FED Note possibly-maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
Here is one that I was given conflicting rules interpretation.

From Federation ball 2000 rule book Rule 6 Art.1a note: It is an illegal pitch if the pitcher places
her pivot foot on the pitcher's plate, brings her hands together and then changes the ball from one
hand to the other.
I cannot find this rule in the 2001 rule book. Any help would be appreciated. P.S I found this rule
in the 1999 rule book also. Dave
Some say it is still an illegal pitch this year, and another says it is not. Thanks, Dave
I am going out on a limb here, but know that one of
the others will clarify this and correct me if I am
wrong.

I think NFHS dropped the note because while on the
pitchers plate, she, the pitcher may have the ball in the
glove hand or the bare hand. With hands separated
takes signal brings hands together, she now must change
ball from glove to bare hand in order to deliver ball.
I am probably not stating this in a manner that is
completely clear. Also see 6.1.1 Situation D Case Book.
6.1.4 Situation C: also tells us she may remove the
ball from her glove while on pitchers plate.

H E L P.....Steve, Roger, Mike, Joel, Dakota, anyone
else versed in FED Rules

glen

--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

The reply I made on the other board is still what I think is correct. Its not in the book now because they deleated it. Now the shift from glove to hand after the foot contacts the pitcher's plate and before the "signal/pause" is a nothing. After the signal/pause and bringing the hands together, she can no longer seperate the hands without pitching, per 6-2-a.

Note that to ignore the shift, it must happen before F1 does anything that could be construed to comply with 6-1-a and 6-1-b. In other words, the shift would have to occur as she took the rubber, or immediately after, and before she looks at F2. As I said before, it keeps you from having to call the illegal pitches in JV and middle school ball where the F1s have not developed good form.

Roger Greene,
Member UT
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
Roger's explanation makes an awful lot of sense to me. Still being tied up with tournament ball, I haven't spent any amount of time on this. Using Roger's explanation, it's sequential. The pitcher must get on the rubber, take a sign, put hands together, separate, pitch. It's sequential and apparently Fed and longer cares about something that happens before the seqence begins. It sounds like a common sense change.

I think - especially for our discussion purposes here, that I'd like to hear why some think that it's an illegal pitch, Dave. See if you can get one or more to explain why it would be an illegal pitch - only using this year's book & case book. I'd have this as a one-on-one discussion - kinda like asking for a special/additional lesson.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2001, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Dave,
Roger's explanation makes an awful lot of sense to me. Still being tied up with tournament ball, I haven't spent any amount of time on this. Using Roger's explanation, it's sequential. The pitcher must get on the rubber, take a sign, put hands together, separate, pitch. It's sequential and apparently Fed and longer cares about something that happens before the seqence begins. It sounds like a common sense change.

I think - especially for our discussion purposes here, that I'd like to hear why some think that it's an illegal pitch, Dave. See if you can get one or more to explain why it would be an illegal pitch - only using this year's book & case book. I'd have this as a one-on-one discussion - kinda like asking for a special/additional lesson.
Agree wholeheartly...Just did not say it as elegantly
as the above two gentlemen {Steve/Roger}.
I dont think anyone can prove to you that it
is an illegal pitch - not by using the 2001 rule/case book.
2002??????

glen
--Mark Twain.