The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

2.3 Referees Authority

Rule 2.3 states that the referee shall make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules. Has anyone applied this rule in a game or can you think of any good hypothetical examples. I'm leading a rules study session tomorrow and could really use a couple of good examples.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I would stay away from such a discussion. Start giving examples of when you might use this and suddenly, guys could start looking for reasons to use it. I've been to a lot of rules clinics and I've never heard anyone use this as a topic.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Personally, I would stay away from such a discussion. Start giving examples of when you might use this and suddenly, guys could start looking for reasons to use it. I've been to a lot of rules clinics and I've never heard anyone use this as a topic.

I hear you and will avoid giving examples and also make the point that this is a rule unlikely to be encountered. Since we go over every rule for testing purposes it will be hard to avoid totally. I'm still interested in any experience applying this rule.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
Rule 2.3 states that the referee shall make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules. Has anyone applied this rule in a game or can you think of any good hypothetical examples. I'm leading a rules study session tomorrow and could really use a couple of good examples.
Example: Players, fans, and coaches are so out of hand due to whatever reasons, even after many Technical fouls, that you make the decision to end the game before the game is officially over. I've done it.

Think NBA game pacers vs. pistons where they ended the game.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Last year I was in a game where a kid dislocated his knee. The game was delayed probably 25 minutes. We allowed both teams to warm-up a little before we resumed play. Nothing in the rules says we can do this or even addresses this situation specifically, but we did it because of such a long delay.

Another year I was watching a game with a team from a poorer neighborhood and they had illegal jerseys for the JV game. All jerseys did not have front numbers and the officials did not give any Ts and allowed the team to play. This school also came from a very long way and it just would not have made good sense to penalize the team with the rule.

This is not a hypothetical, but it is a case where you can use some judgment.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
-Small earthqake
-Fire alarm
-Celing tile falls and hits player in the head causing him to travel
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
-Small earthqake
-Fire alarm
-Celing tile falls and hits player in the head causing him to travel
Is that called officiating the obvious?
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

I have had lights go out.... an changed floors in an AAU tournanment...
I have had lights go out and had to wait, so we had to re do warm ups...

Utah had a game a few years back when the rubber/tartan floors were popular (not hardwood). It was a cross town rivalry, gym packed, and moisture was actually building up on the floor. They had to play overtime one one half of the floor.

You may have issues with special needs kids, although it was football, last weekend in a 11 yaer old's game we let them have 12 kids on the field because of the special needs kid, he "played" but did not play if you know what I mean.

Allowed kids to play in a gym where there was no padding on the backboard but it would not affect play beause it was sixth graders.

Enforced other things that may be safety issues not covered specifically by the rule.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Example: Players, fans, and coaches are so out of hand due to whatever reasons, even after many Technical fouls, that you make the decision to end the game before the game is officially over. I've done it.

Think NBA game pacers vs. pistons where they ended the game.
Nope, that's not an example of something would be a proper use of 2-3, since there are rules in the book which cover the situation--namely 2-5-4 and 2-8-1 Note.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Another year I was watching a game with a team from a poorer neighborhood and they had illegal jerseys for the JV game. All jerseys did not have front numbers and the officials did not give any Ts and allowed the team to play. This school also came from a very long way and it just would not have made good sense to penalize the team with the rule.
Not applying a rule that is in the book is not an example of applying 2-3, it is simply an example of ignoring a rule.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 01:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Not applying a rule that is in the book is not an example of applying 2-3, it is simply an example of ignoring a rule.
I disagree. Then again you are not from the NF, but you want to make the rest of us think you are.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I disagree. Then again you are not from the NF, but you want to make the rest of us think you are.
You can disagree all that you want, but it won't change the fact that 2-3 is for "points not specifically covered in the rules."

While what you did may have been intelligent and in the best interests of that game, it does not mean that your decision to overlook the illegal jerseys was an application of 2-3. It would be poor for wanja to give this as an example to his study class.

PS I have never claimed to be "from the NF" nor do I desire to make anyone think that I am. I don't know where you come up with these prevarications.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wanja,
One of the simplest examples that I can think of would be what happens if the ball were to burst or become deflated during play. To my knowledge this situation is not detailed in the rules or the case book therefore, the referee would have to make a decision on how to handle it. Perhaps JR, MTD, or some other senior official may know of an NFHS ruling from years gone by on this, but I don't.

You could design a play in which during a try for goal the ball strikes the ring or backboard and bursts, but then falls through the basket. You could then ask questions such as: Should this goal count? At what point does the ball become dead? Let's say that no whistle was sounded until the ball struck the floor, but everyone in the gym could hear the ball pop upon striking the ring.

Have a good class.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since we go over every rule for testing purposes it will be hard to avoid totally.
Cover it with the same detail you'll cover "multiple fouls" -- that is, it's in the rulebook, but you should never use it. Then, quickly go on to something productive.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Wanja,
One of the simplest examples that I can think of would be what happens if the ball were to burst or become deflated during play.
The rules define the size & inflation pressure of the ball.

If the ball bursts I would use that rule to get a new ball since obviously the old ball no longer complies.