The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Umpire Burnout

In light of the recent threads we have had (ie; the one where the coach came onto the field with a bat), some of Garth's and other's latest post where coaches rush onto the field like a Fire drill do you get to a point in the season where you say

"I have had enough"

I do not know about your particular areas but it seems coaches are getting worse. Even legion which is supposed to be about Sportsmanship etc. is not what it used to be.

Do you have a goal in mind when you will finally "hang um up"

Do you get tired of the constant "policing of the games"

Every year as we hit July I often say to myself "Is it time to go" Also, our association has found it difficult to recruit "young blood" partly because of the economy meaning it's very difficult when you are young and starting a Professional career to be able to get off of work and umpire baseball. Also, who in their "right mind" after seeing some of the antics displayed by these coaches / players would want to take up umpiring.

For me summer ball used to be a place where I would work on different aspects of my mechanics. Try new things etc. However, These summer tournaments is like "life /death" for some of these teams.

You make a mistake (or not ) and you think Armagedon was upon us.

IMO, in order to get new recruits etc. a zero type policy among umpire associations will have to take effect meaning The LITERAL wording of 9.02 adhered to. Not like the PRO game where it has become customary for a coach to run onto the field and lamblast an umpire. PRO ball is different and people have to understand that.

In summary do you have ever umpire burnout or if not burnout say to yourself "Enough is enough" Also, instead of doing those "high prestiges games" simply want a relaxed league (yes there are some and I have been requesting more and more of those type games) where every call isn't life or death and you have to police the game.

Thanks

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Wow!

Pete what a timely post.

Around the Portland (OR) area "big boy ball" has been diluted so much that there are few great games.

The "select teams" here are mostly umpired by our college association leaving the remainder for the "common folk" umpires. Add to that the American Legion teams here "mostly" don't allow graduated seniors on the teams as they use this time of year for developing their high school squads.

I selected three years ago to simply skip the summer season (that hurts this year as we are hosting a week long "big boy ball" tourney in August that is a National Championship quality of play) and I found new excitiment in working spring ball.

I have just committed to our new local association President that I will work through the 2010 season. This is self-serving as it means that I will have worked as a "certified umpire" in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's.

But 2010 will be it for me on the field. 42 years will make me proud but glad to leave it all behind.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Mon Jul 02, 2007 at 05:33pm.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Pete,
I started umpiring in the 60's at the age of 15. Was excited at being paid for it. When I joined the Army I continued and I have umpired in several countries and a bunch of states. While in the Army I got the chance to fill in for the Minor Leagues and realized that I would never be good enough to get any higher because I was told I wore glasses and it would stop me.

I have done college and semi-pro and high school throughout the 70's 80's and 90's. In the late 90's I stopped doing semi-pro ball and started doing fill in for college only.

I quit doing college sports 5 years ago because of the people playing and the people coaching.

I have quit slowpitch softball because I refuse to be a bartender/wet-nurse.

I now do High School and youth baseball/softball only.

It has gotten to the point where I have just about stopped umpiring rec ball because I end up tossing a player or coach every game because they will start the name calling or want to argue balls and strikes.

Last week I umpired a state qualifier and ejected a coach because he insisted that I couldn't see and chose to leave the game.

This weekend past I did a state level tournament and I gave a coach a choice of staying in the game and stop arguing with parents or going to his car, he chose to stay.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 12:26pm
rei

I used to burn out. I umped for 11 years then quit from burnout. This was before high school coaches/players had to sit a game following an ejection.

But more importantly, I did not know how to end confrontations quickly and often through word and/or actions, would fan the flames, often unknowingly. What really turned me around was an attitude of "service" to the game, then, going to the Western States Umpire Combine and watching the "class" taught by ex AAA ump Scott Higgens on handling situations.

The next step, and what REALLY helped me a lot this year was the presentation at the NCAA clinic in Portland of Verbal Judo. I was SO impressed with the "5 step hard method" of conflict resolution that I went out and bought all three books on Verbal Judo. I have read the main book, and am about half way though another. I would say that if you just bought this one: http://verbaljudo.com/vjistore/index...products_id=26

you would get all that you need out of it.

Verbal Judo is the art of "compliance through persuasion". I am 100% onboard with it! IT WORKS!!!

Verbal Judo only teaches you how to de-esculate situations via your OWN words and actions. Often, coaches cross the line early and you should eject early! After reading this book, I feel I have a MUCH better line between allowing a coach to "talk" to me about a call, and ejecting him. All the usual rules of a "discussion" apply, but now I have tools to talk to coach into STAYING in the game, as well as having him LIKE ME after the game!

An example recently in a college summer league game I did. I am about 99.9% sure that I missed seeing a tag because of a poor position on the field. It was a crappy C position play with a runner on 2nd, the ball hit between 3rd and the shortstop, and the shortstop fielded the ball. If I moved into the center, I would have been in-line with the throw to 1st. If I stay where I am after I "open" to the ball, I am WAY out of position for seeing a tag at 3rd.

We all know that in 2 man mechanics, you have to get position for the "likely" play. In this case, the runner at 2nd who is behind me so I can't see him will usually stay put and the play is at 1st, so, I stay out of the throw line. Well, OF COURSE the runner at 2nd breaks, and the shortstop throws to 3rd. I do not see a tag and safe him. Coach goes ballistic. This was only my first dummy mistake.

Coach comes out and calmly asks "Ed, how could be possibly be safe". I answer, "I did not have a very good look at it". He says "You gotta go for help on that", now this is where I make my dummy mistake!, I answer "Bill, that call is all mine", he says "That was a crappy call then". I say, "Okay". Nothing more. He stares at me for about 2 more seconds then walks away. As he is walking away, he says to the home team coach "That is two homie calls against me today!". Well of course I eject him, calmly I may add. He turns and says "I wasn't even talking to you", I say back "But you were talking about me and questioning my integrity Bill, you are done today". He walks off.

I never raised my voice towards him, nor argued with him at all. I stated that I didn't see the play, and stuck with my call (my only real mistake really). I allowed him to voice an opinion about that call and only responded with an "Okay", as no other resonse was neccessary. He immediately left. At that point, HE decided to make it personal with the "homie" comment (he is an older guy and probably doesn't know that the term is "homered", I was not about to correct him... ). Of course he needed to be ejected at that point. He inquired why he was ejected, and I told him.

I knew all along that I probably booted that call badly. I emphasised with him on that. I would have been mad too. But through the whole situation, I did nothing to provoke him, other than saying that the call was all mine, which it really is, but in hindsight I should have gone for help!

Anyway, this kind of situation years ago, I would have dumped him, the player probably, the assistant, and a few fans for good measure. In this situation, only the coach went. Believe it or not, after the game, as I exited the park and he was coming back in, he apologized to me and shook my hand! I have had this same exact kind of thing happen MANY times in soccer since I started using Verbal Judo techniques, an ejected player/coach coming back after the game and shaking my hand with an apology, even though I STILL probably made a bad call that started the whole thing.

Anyway, what Verbal Judo taught me was how to allow somebody to "express" themselves without me having to take it personal. I am very willing to listen to constructive talk about a play, and as long as a coach doesn't get personal, I will calmly discuss things with him. If he get's excited, I have statements and requests to keep him on track about what we are there to talk about.

I believe a few things will prevent burnout:

1 - Know the rules.
2 - HUSTLE, HUSTLE, HUSTEL. Gosh darnit, I watch umpires all the time who make a lot of right calls but overall look VERY lazy who get barraged by coaches. I see young guys that hustle all the time who blow calls and only have short conversations with coaches about them! If you are not a hustler on the field, coaches DO notice that, and I can guarantee that they will not respect you.

3 - LISTEN to what a coach is saying and/or asking you. Indeed, they may be a bit "livid" when they approach, but if you have empathy towards them and try to really listen, you may find that it is a lot easier to end the discussion when you answer them directly. Your patience and good nature will be noted and appreciated. But, if you don't really hear what they are saying and/or asking, and you respond in a defensive way, I can guarantee that the situation will blow up on you! Good communication starts with YOU, not the coach!

4 - Don't take it so personal when you are critisized! Remember that coaches, players, and fans have an inherent BIAS for the call to go their way. If you always keep that in mind, and laugh inside about it, the comments just become funny instead of a "sting" to your ego.

I do over 110 games a year, usually over 120. By the end, I am ready for the season to be over, but I am not "burned out". Burn out comes from stress. I work hard and keeping the stress down in a game while still keeping compliance to the rules. I am the type that goes after players out of the dugout, and the white on a pitchers mitt. I don't like baseballs "tossed" to me. I am all over teams that don't hustle out of the dugout at the end of an inning. These are all very unpopular things to enforce, but I enforce them, and am always quick to smile and have kind words with players and/or coaches. So, while things can get a bit tense here and there, I believe that through a knowledge of the rules, hustle, and looking to keep guys in the game that situations get handled quickly and without further repercussions. If a coach carries on and is out of line, I get rid of him the second he crossed over the line! I learned that from a national level indoor soccer referee who always says "Set the line high, but when they cross it waste no time ejecting them". Coaches tell me they appreciate that approach, and I don't seem to burning out any more!
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Pete,

I too have pondered the question of retirement from time to time. I have several reasons for considering it, but so far haven't made the break yet. I've even mentioned my thoughts to other veteran umpires including Tim C. in an effort to gauge where I'm at.

Here's some of my thoughts/considerations.

1) I started umpiring in 1991. Back then, I was a college student and had no family or responsibility. Flash forward to today when I have a wife, 2 young girls, and a full time job. During HS season, I work 2 maybe 3 nights a week. I work about 3-4 nights a week during summer ball. In 1991, those seemed like short weeks. Now it is about all I can do to give baseball what it deserves and not take away from other responsibilities.

2) I have started enjoying HS baseball more and more each year. The weather here is cool in the early part of the season and only gets warm about playoff time. Most of the coaches here are respectful of umpires and the jobs we do. But here's why I like HS the best. If a player or coach, get ejected and it's for one of the NCHSAA's list of deadly sins, they are looking at a penalty from the state office. They could also face sanctions from the school system. In other words, there are few if any incidents in HS ball because the system is in place to punish both from a sport and a school level.

3) The competition in summer leagues other than American Legion has deteriorated to the point that our local league can be downright painful at times to umpire. A lot of kids are playing "travel ball" and not staying in there local area. Also, many feel that summer ball is the place to show an attitude because there is no way to penalize other than keep them out of a game or two.

4) Legion ball still has a fairly high level of play. Several teams have players that still had eligibility after their first season in college baseball. I had a couple just last night. BUT, situations do happen and you have to be up to the challenge. I have been able to escape most of mine so far, but I know that my day is coming. I like the level of play in American Legion and I really like the caliber of umpires I work with. Most are varsity level HS umpires and some also work college baseball. I really learn a lot working these umpires.

What do all these thoughts mean? Well, for now I plan to stick with umpiring. I plan to keep working HS baseball and more than likely stick with Legion baseball. Rec league ball is another story. I may give it one more shot next year, but I am going to be looking for the exit if things don't improve. All of this is contigent on my family situation. I lost my dad when I was 9 and I refuse to sacrifice seeing my girls grow up for baseball. There are compromises that will allow both and I am always trying to balance baseball and family time. However, if I ever have to give up one or the other, you can bet it will be baseball.

Incidentally, we are doing OK on HS umpires. We seem to have plenty of umpires to cover American Legion games. We are desparately in need of new umpires at the rec league level. I am working with some others to recruit an and train new officials but we have only started to formulate a plan.

Lawrence
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 01:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think the main reason officials burnout is the fact we work too many games. Just be more selective about what you work and when. You do not have to work every single game in every single league. I work 3 sports and I can officiate 12 months out of the year. I am very selective in what I agree to do and work. Here is what I do during the year.

Football Season: I work every Friday of the season and I may pick up a handful of Saturday games. I work a Catholic School League on Sundays and I try to take off a few of those so I can watch NFL football and just sit at home and do nothing. I hardly ever work a game from Monday-Thursday. So I usually get 4 days off completely from football and when I go back work to work a game I am ready to go.

Basketball Season: I work only Boy's basketball. If I worked both I would likely have games almost every day of the week. My games are primarily on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Depending on what college games I work, I can work on a Sunday, Monday and Thursday. Usually if I work those games it is very rare I work a lot on those days. I usually do not take extra games once the season starts unless the games are on a Saturday morning to cover a JV game of some kind.

Baseball Season: I basically work every day or can work every day. I try my best not to work a lot on March when it is really cold. I this past year decided to take off just about every Friday during the season. Most Saturdays are doubleheaders so I like to get myself ready mentally do work a doubleheader and to focus on something else. Also when the college and HS seasons are over, I stop working baseball. Baseball for me is the last of a long line of games so by the end of the season I am just tired. Next year I will purposely work less to and will take less HS games over all.

Now I think in order to avoid burnout you have to just find your niche. I try to only work varsity and college games at this point of my career. When I work football games in that Grade School Catholic League in my area, I only work with two guys who I have known for years. One guy is my HS crew chief and the other guy is a fellow official that has worked a State Final and I just enough both of their company. They both are knowledgeable officials and I have learned a lot from both of them. Also we might throw in a rookie official that is willing to learn and that adds to the fun. During the basketball season I try not to work any lower level games unless I am helping in the training of a younger official or I am working with a veteran that I know.

I just have learned to be very selective. Officiating is a hobby and when it becomes more than that (I do run it as a business, but that is another discussion) there is going to be a problem. Stop working every game and every league because someone calls. Now if you are a younger officials you may want to work more. But once you have paid some dues and shown what you can do, you do not have to work the LL Championship for the 10th time.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Timely indeed!! I've recently blocked out two weeks of my time, not solely because of burnout, but because of a gross lack of support from my association. I don't need the stress of working a game and have a coach come out agressivly cussing me up one side and down the other then have my association tell me I'm looking for trouble. Same coach easy call, R1 stealing on the pitch, batter swings through and comes across the plate as F2 attempts to throw down. Coach comes out screaming there has to be contact for BI, short version, he get's dumped... two weeks later, same coach same team, same play, he starts to chirp, kicks something in the dugout, before I can get my mask off, he shuts up, next inning, with a ball hit into LF, his team challanges F7, with a play at the plate, he's out by three feet, now he comes out yelling and screaming, droping "F" Bombs right and left, easy heave ho!! I'm told by my assignor I'm looking for trouble. Working a Legion tourney last week, local team getting beat up on, mercy rule is in affect, last at bat if they can't score. Team hasn't been able to catch hit or pitch all day, R1 with a hard hit ball to F4, double play ball with a banger at first, I call him out. Coach comes over from third base coach's box yelling, you can't call that, we need a play here. Although I agree, he needed a play, his runner was out, I tell him, coach it was a close play but I got an out. He ask's me if I'm in a hurry and have a date, I stop him and tell him to go back to his box. He comes back and says your F'n $hit... he's gone, After he continues at full volume for five minutes, the game continues and they lose the game. I later hear I dumped him for no reason. Hmmm why work for an association that tells you to keep coaches in the game when they treat you like crap, use foul language and blame the umpire for his teams lack of performance. This coach is known for this in our area. Yet, he gets away with it on a regular basis. I don't know of one umpire that hasn't heard from him on balls and strikes, yet they allow it to happen. I have read the verbal judo book and attended the Portland clinic. I agree it does work well for most situations, I also agree sometimes it goes from one to five in one step, however my association seems to want us to use a fifteen step, keep em in the game and take what they say approach. They don't pay enough IMHO, so I'm taking time off.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Pete,
Agree on the timeliness. I live in an area that runs AAU/USSSA and their own tournaments beginning in March and running through mid-November every weekend during those months. I roughly do between 32-45 games a month from those alone. Counting the local youth, high school and college I do over 300 games per year and have for the last seven years not including last year.

Last year I was burnt out and took a year off to coach (go ahead... hang me) and it was the best thing I could have done. It was a one year coaching position that was to prepare kids for the high school game. It was fun.

However, I am already beginning to feel burnt out. Someone previously said that many of these tournament coaches believe these games are the difference between life and death. (it may be the expensive entry fees??) Either way, it does get old dealing with the same crap every weekend. I'm 27 and I feel like I am ready to retire tomorrow.

I think next year I will do as someone suggested and block out one day per week so that I can have a day to relax and to myself. Good suggestion.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyByrd
Pete,
Agree on the timeliness. I live in an area that runs AAU/USSSA and their own tournaments beginning in March and running through mid-November every weekend during those months. I roughly do between 32-45 games a month from those alone. Counting the local youth, high school and college I do over 300 games per year and have for the last seven years not including last year.

Last year I was burnt out and took a year off to coach (go ahead... hang me) and it was the best thing I could have done. It was a one year coaching position that was to prepare kids for the high school game. It was fun.

However, I am already beginning to feel burnt out. Someone previously said that many of these tournament coaches believe these games are the difference between life and death. (it may be the expensive entry fees??) Either way, it does get old dealing with the same crap every weekend. I'm 27 and I feel like I am ready to retire tomorrow.

I think next year I will do as someone suggested and block out one day per week so that I can have a day to relax and to myself. Good suggestion.
Block out at least one full week per month. Your working way too many games that are all the same. Go find an assoc that will get you HS or JC games - two or three per month is plenty from a change of pace standpoint.

The grind of 8-10 games every weekend is just too much on body and mind. Just stop doing it.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Timely indeed!! I've recently blocked out two weeks of my time, not solely because of burnout, but because of a gross lack of support from my association. I don't need the stress of working a game and have a coach come out agressivly cussing me up one side and down the other then have my association tell me I'm looking for trouble. Same coach easy call, R1 stealing on the pitch, batter swings through and comes across the plate as F2 attempts to throw down. Coach comes out screaming there has to be contact for BI, short version, he get's dumped... two weeks later, same coach same team, same play, he starts to chirp, kicks something in the dugout, before I can get my mask off, he shuts up, next inning, with a ball hit into LF, his team challanges F7, with a play at the plate, he's out by three feet, now he comes out yelling and screaming, droping "F" Bombs right and left, easy heave ho!! I'm told by my assignor I'm looking for trouble. Working a Legion tourney last week, local team getting beat up on, mercy rule is in affect, last at bat if they can't score. Team hasn't been able to catch hit or pitch all day, R1 with a hard hit ball to F4, double play ball with a banger at first, I call him out. Coach comes over from third base coach's box yelling, you can't call that, we need a play here. Although I agree, he needed a play, his runner was out, I tell him, coach it was a close play but I got an out. He ask's me if I'm in a hurry and have a date, I stop him and tell him to go back to his box. He comes back and says your F'n $hit... he's gone, After he continues at full volume for five minutes, the game continues and they lose the game. I later hear I dumped him for no reason. Hmmm why work for an association that tells you to keep coaches in the game when they treat you like crap, use foul language and blame the umpire for his teams lack of performance. This coach is known for this in our area. Yet, he gets away with it on a regular basis. I don't know of one umpire that hasn't heard from him on balls and strikes, yet they allow it to happen. I have read the verbal judo book and attended the Portland clinic. I agree it does work well for most situations, I also agree sometimes it goes from one to five in one step, however my association seems to want us to use a fifteen step, keep em in the game and take what they say approach. They don't pay enough IMHO, so I'm taking time off.

Eject early and often. Call out the Assoc President / BOD at your next meeting. If the refuse to change, leave. (Hint - I would have been gone long ago). There is a shortage of decent umpires in almost every area, so go find a different one.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Pete what a timely post.

Around the Portland (OR) area "big boy ball" has been diluted so much that there are few great games.

The "select teams" here are mostly umpired by our college association leaving the remainder for the "common folk" umpires. Add to that the American Legion teams here "mostly" don't allow graduated seniors on the teams as they use this time of year for developing their high school squads.

I selected three years ago to simply skip the summer season (that hurts this year as we are hosting a week long "big boy ball" tourney in August that is a National Championship quality of play) and I found new excitement in working spring ball.

I have just committed to our new local association that I will work through the 2010 season. This is self-serving as it means that I will have worked as a "certified umpire" in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's.

But 2010 will be it for me on the field. 42 years will make me proud but glad to leave it all behind.

Regards,
Tim,

Did the same two years ago. I cut back on regular season to around 75 games total (Includes play offs & two travel tournaments). I do no summer games (May do a college wood bat tourn'y or two) but rather spend the time evaluating and training our newer umpires.

Result: No burn out, significant improvement and retention of new umpires (two others in our Assoc are doing the same thing).

Since I do not do other sports (My knees won't take it) I have to go to the gym three days a week to keep the weight down. IMO a small price to pay.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 05:34pm
Is this a legal title?

By the end of the college regular season I have in 40 games (college and about half a dozen HS). In summer I do a few men's league games, maybe a DH a week, and do U18 tournaments 8-10 games over 3 days every other weekend. I take every other weekend completely off, and in a 14 day period work 5 or 6 of the days. This is, I think, JRutledge's advice to be selective in action. When kiddie ball (U16 or lower) calls, I take Nancy Reagan's advice.

By Aug. 1, I have in about 90 games. That's plenty. The key to me for staying a little fresher in summer is stringing together 3-5 days off from the field in a row after the school season ends. After the summer tournaments are over in early August, one DH a week of MSBL 'til October is good enough.

I think a few guys have written about summer ball and how to keep it quiet. Eject by the boatload for two seasons, after that you can go entire summers without dumping anyone. Of course, I don't worry about keeping guys in the game even in school ball. Again, as I've read here written by someone else, they know how to stay in the game.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

This year, I did not shuffle my work schedule to umpire HS. I refused a Legion schedule. I refused a Jr. Legion schedule. I worked some Babe Ruth and a few college age games. I started umpiring when I want and I turn down when I don't feel like working.

It's the same opinion, tired of the BS, the coaches, and the fans. I still go out to keep tabs on my new recruits and I actually have made more time for this, this season!
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I have never felt burned out by the coach/fan griping. I adopted several years ago a no tolerance policy towards assistants and a no tolerance policy against anyone who runs at me to argue. Come out slow and quietly and I will tell you what I saw. Otherwise...

I have felt burned out at times by the number of games. 4 weeks ago I worked 4 DH's in 5 days, 3 DH's in a row before a break day and then another DH. But the schedule has been a little more manageable of late. I am getting to where I don't like DH's, really don't like consecutive DH's and really really don't like 3 DH's in a row.

But the arguing never burns me out. I also forfeited the second game of my career 4 Saturday's ago because I tossed 2 players and a coach, that team's bench cleared, and then they wouldn't leave the field. And the team was leading by 15 runs in the 3rd. It was insane...
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 12:40am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
In light of the recent threads we have had (ie; the one where the coach came onto the field with a bat), some of Garth's and other's latest post where coaches rush onto the field like a Fire drill do you get to a point in the season where you say

"I have had enough"
Rarely.
Quote:

I do not know about your particular areas but it seems coaches are getting worse. Even legion which is supposed to be about Sportsmanship etc. is not what it used to be.
Agree.
Quote:

Do you have a goal in mind when you will finally "hang um up".
Not there yet, will happen when I can no longer get the games I want.
Quote:

Do you get tired of the constant "policing of the games".
If I have to constantly police them, I won't do them.
Quote:

Every year as we hit July I often say to myself "Is it time to go" Also, our association has found it difficult to recruit "young blood" partly because of the economy meaning it's very difficult when you are young and starting a Professional career to be able to get off of work and umpire baseball. Also, who in their "right mind" after seeing some of the antics displayed by these coaches / players would want to take up umpiring.
I agree but I see very little being done to recruit anyway. Contractors aren't asked to pay for it. orgs don't do it, there is no money for it and the Big Dogs often don't give a crap. The pay isn't what it should be, the startup costs aren't absorbed by anyone other than the umpire (usually), the whole economics is insane, out of touch with reality and will continue to be that way.
Quote:

For me summer ball used to be a place where I would work on different aspects of my mechanics. Try new things etc. However, These summer tournaments is like "life /death" for some of these teams.
Parents have bought into competitive baseball, summer is where lil Johnny gets his hot to make the team or a position; the whole thing is out of whack and needs to be redesigned but the system as is, is a function of those who support it and that is the parents.
Quote:

IMO, in order to get new recruits etc. a zero type policy among umpire associations will have to take effect meaning The LITERAL wording of 9.02 adhered to. Not like the PRO game where it has become customary for a coach to run onto the field and lamblast an umpire. PRO ball is different and people have to understand that.
Agree but won't happen since Contractors will not, typically, stand up for officials organizations who refuse to train and who refuse to demand from Contractors to support zero tolerance. There are thre types of Contractors. 1) Public who are underpaid and who just want tom make it through the next loon day, 2) Private, they often want to "work" umpires to better calls, to more lenient coach chasing rules, to allow those who pay the big $$$ to do as they please (parents), 3) The Good Guys who can be 1) or 2). God love them.

Umpires umpire because they need the money. This is the ultimate reason we can be taken advantage of.
Quote:

In summary do you have ever umpire burnout or if not burnout say to yourself "Enough is enough" Also, instead of doing those "high prestiges games" simply want a relaxed league (yes there are some and I have been requesting more and more of those type games) where every call isn't life or death and you have to police the game.

Thanks

Pete Booth
Pete, fortunately, I have found a niche of enjoyable games which have a very high level of play. We have gotten the respect of the Contractors and agreed to a zero tolerance policy. We get paid twice the average, and we take recruiting seriously as we do training. You are paid according to the demonstrated level by test, coaches reviews and other criteria. it took a long time to get there but I would be out of this entirely if not the case. I have paid my social dues, called all the best, worst and age groups, 40 years plus, off and on.

But nationally, as you have pointed out, we are nearing crisis mode and nothing will change unless there is a severe umpire shortage (doubtful) or a national organization which could represent us, like a union (extremely doubtful).

Nope, we are the tail end of the abuse chain in a consistently more abusive society.