The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, my regular partner for the rec league games i work informed me on sunday that he can't make it tomorrow night. I've got a high schooler (I'm in college) that is going to help me out. He plays baseball but has never been to the dark side. I know the rules and mechanics and such well, but the first time I'll get a chance to talk with him is 5:30 tomorrow night and the double header starts at 6:00.

In all of your opinions, what should I cover with him in the half hour we have for the pregame (either mechanics or rules info [played under FED rules]). I will mention also that he'll be doing the bases both games and I'll be doing the plate. Any and all responses would be appreciated!

All the Best,
Josh
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

It is impossible for him to learn all the rules in 30 minutes. Go over common things like balks, obstruction, intference, and other stuff like that. Then just make sure he knows the mechanics, tell him to not make the calls to quickly too. If there are any ball that go out of play, or other times when a greater knowledge of the rules is needed, you should be able to step in and make the call.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Even if you both arrive at 5:30 you will not have 30 minutes to discuss. You both will spend 10 minutes getting dressed, and you need to be on the field no later than 5 minutes before game time, so at best you have 15 minutes. Spend 10 minutes discussing mechanics, where you will be, where he will be, and who has the call for as many situations as you can go over in 10 minutes. Give him a chance to ask questions and go over these for the next few minutes. Then spend a minute giving him some advice, specifically 1) be perfectly still when you make any call on the bases, even if it is from a distance and/or from the wrong position (which he may not know he is in) and 2) pause after you see the play, run it over in your mind a second time (ie what did I see?), then make the call. The last minute should be to tell him that you are there for him, if he needs any help. Then, be prepared to make all the calls you see, because you might end up having to make one.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Lightbulb right on the $

DG nailed this one. There is no way you can teach this kid what he needs to know in your 15 minutes of time. Focus on the basics and use the KISS principal - Keep It Stupidly Simple - in the army we call it "Make it Lieutenant proof" but I digress.

I would hit
1) play at first - listen for the ball to hit the glove as you watch for the foot hitting the bag.
2) interference - if a runner gets in the way of a fielder fielding the ball, kill it and "talk to me".
3) "Instant replay" in his mind before he makes the call.
4) ACT like he knows what he is doing

and for you - meet with him every half inning to encourage him and/or correct any major screwups. Protect him from the coaches, even if he boots a call.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! "Make it Lieutenant-proof!" That's the best one I've heard yet! ROFL!!!!

-Craig
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

"Make it Lieutenant proof"

Jumpmaster must a senior NCO.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Talking

nope, captain who learned to trust his NCOs with his life. And they brought me home alive...

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass