The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully a New Umpire here.

Hi everyone. I'm normally in the football forum as I've been a football official for 2 years. Well, I just contacted someone local here and expressed my interest in umpiring a bit this coming spring/summer. He sent me a list of stuff to buy and holy crap it cost alot to be an Ump. Now I am a catcher still on a local adult league so would it be ok to use my shin guards, mask and even chest protector as an ump too? I mean aren't the shin guards and protector covered by your uniform anyhow so it shouldn't look too bad and the mask looks exactly the same in my mind though I'll admit I never looked to close at the umps.
Also why do they sell Plate shoes and base shoes. Can't you just have one pair of shoes and then your shin guards could just have a flap to cover the tops of your feet. Would it be tacky to use my playing spikes as an Ump. The spikes are mainly black with some white (the Nike swoosh, the word nike and I think a little trim) plus a little red on the sole of the spike.
Anyhow, I was hoping to keep the initial cost down on this. I'm younger and a little short on the money side most the time but I think it'd be great to be involved in baseball just like I am football. I've always loved and played both sports and I just want to stay involved in them.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

My advice is find good used stuff and buy it if it's in good shape. There are guys on your board that buy new stuff every year then write off the purchases to Uncle Sam. Find these guys! They have the best stuff. Scour EBay too!

D
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

unless you have the right equipment, its not a matter of when you get Injured (I dont mean just hurt), its when.

the problem with catchers chest protector is you dont have the collar bone/shoulder protection, let alone chest plate... essentially its inadequate.

Plate shoes are a most at just about any level of ball worth discussing.

Talk with people in your area, theres always equipment floating around or theres always ebay.

your mask and shin guards are probably fine for now.

good luck
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

I agree. The mask and shinguards are probably about the same thing.

But, a catchers chest protector is NOT very good protection. You WILL get hurt using one behind the plate.

Plate shoes are a MUST! They are heavy duty, and protect you in many different ways.

NO SPIKES FOR UMPIRES!

You may work half your high school season to make back your investment into gear, but in the summer, there will be MANY MORE GAMES, and you can make some decent bucks if you have good availability. Assignors LOVE new guys with good availability, because there are bunches of lower level tournaments on weekends. You can knock yourself out with 3 games a day during those!

As you move up, the money gets a little better. But, all in all, you are not going to make huge bucks umpiring. I actually lose money during the high school season! Baseball will never pay what I make at work!

LOOK AND ACT THE PART! The bottom line is, if you look and act the part of an umpire, you will have a better season, and will be apt to come back for another year. If you look like a doofus out there, you are going to get a lot of grief! While you appearance won't tide you over for a whole game if you are a bad umpire, it will at least buy you a few innings before they start harping on you! But if you look goofy AND call a bad game, people will be on you after the first pitch!

Look the part. Buy decent umpire gear. The ol' saying "If you buy cheap, you will buy twice" comes to mind.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
As others have said, plate shoes are a must. Even if you wear catcher's shin guards, your toes will be exposed. One shot there will make you regret the decision of not buying plate shoes. If you’re going to work the lower levels, you may get away with a pair of black steel-toed athletic work shoes. But if you’re going to spend the dollars for those, spend a few more for real plate shoes. Also, don’t by cheap shoes. If your feet hurt, it’s hard to concentrate on your job. A good light weight mask is also a plus.

You can also find good used equipment. Many umpires upgrade during the off-season or try a piece of equipment and find they don't like it (or find something else they like more). I have a West Vest Gold chest protector that is a few years old. I'm going to sell it along with a pair of Douglas shin guards. They're in good shape and the only reason I'm selling them is that I bought a Wilson Platinum and Gerry Davis shin guards. I'll probably sell both for less than the cost of the chest protector alone. So it's worth looking for used stuff.

Remember, it doesn't pay to buy cheap equipment. Eventually, you'll regret it. Not only will you buy it twice, but you may have a doctor's bill in between.

Last edited by Delaware Blue; Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 11:14am.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I will say that Plate shoes are a must, but you could get away with Steel toe Black runners for a year or two and at 1/2 the cost. The chest protector is your first Definate need. Get a quality one, it will last 5-6 yrs and you will love it. Shins and Mask will be fine to start out. Get a good pair of plate pants and base pants, this is the most obvious things newbies cheep out on and it looks that way.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Buy good umpire equipment

Good umpire equipment is worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFarns
Hi everyone. I'm normally in the football forum as I've been a football official for 2 years. Well, I just contacted someone local here and expressed my interest in umpiring a bit this coming spring/summer. He sent me a list of stuff to buy and holy crap it cost alot to be an Ump.
Now I am a catcher still on a local adult league so would it be ok to use my shin guards, mask and even chest protector as an ump too? I mean aren't the shin guards and protector covered by your uniform anyhow so it shouldn't look too bad and the mask looks exactly the same in my mind though I'll admit I never looked to close at the umps.
I would suggest if money is an issue that you buy ONE piece a year starting with the CP today, then shin guards, shoes and last mask. Also ask around and see if you can get some used equipment to save money. But think about it, the seller is usually getting rid of it to upgrade his own equipment. It would save you more if you went and bought the good gear from the start.

You MUST buy a hard shell CP. I would not waste my money on a soft shell CP if I planned on doing HS baseball. The umpire CPs are more like football pads and offer much better protection than regular CP. I would not allow you to wear a regular CP w/out the additional shoulder protection if you were working for me.

Quote:
Also why do they sell Plate shoes and base shoes. Can't you just have one pair of shoes and then your shin guards could just have a flap to cover the tops of your feet. Would it be tacky to use my playing spikes as an Ump. The spikes are mainly black with some white (the Nike swoosh, the word nike and I think a little trim) plus a little red on the sole of the spike.
Spikes are a big NO-NO. There is nothing else you wear that says "rookie" as the equipment package you have on. Umpire leg guards aren't as bulky and are much lighter. I now have lightweight Gerry Davis hockey style shin guards. They are so comfortable that I will never buy another pair in my lifetime.

Quote:
Anyhow, I was hoping to keep the initial cost down on this. I'm younger and a little short on the money side most the time but I think it'd be great to be involved in baseball just like I am football. I've always loved and played both sports and I just want to stay involved in them.
The plate shoes are an investment. Umpires really believe in them. The trick is to find a good long-lasting pair. I wouild not hesitate to throw $120 on some good plate shoes if I new they would last as long.

Masks are generally the same. The doe-skin padding was hot a few years back, replaced by some other new leather product today. Perhaps someone else may have something to add about the mask.

Good luck and have a great season.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Nov 12, 2006 at 10:12pm.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm normally in the football forum as I've been a football official for 2 years. Well, I just contacted someone local here and expressed my interest in umpiring a bit this coming spring/summer. He sent me a list of stuff to buy and holy crap it cost alot to be an Ump. Now I am a catcher still on a local adult league so would it be ok to use my shin guards, mask and even chest protector as an ump too? I mean aren't the shin guards and protector covered by your uniform anyhow so it shouldn't look too bad and the mask looks exactly the same in my mind though I'll admit I never looked to close at the umps.
You will need to make some kind of investment. Listed below is a link to Gerry Davis Sports and a starter package which includes chest protector, Chin Guards, mask etc.

As others mentioned, catching is way different from umpiring. I believe most of us have taken a "straight on shot" right in the midle of the chest protector so it beehoves one to get max protection. As Garth said, when you catch you have a glove.

Side Note: If you are only going to umpire "kids who do not shave" then you do not need the "heavy artilliary" so to speak. You can probably get some used equipment from a fellow baseball official and save some money that way.

You said you officiate Football so perhaps you can save some football game FEES and use that to invest in umpire equipment.

Pete Booth

https://www.doc.intersessions.com/~s...ory_Code=start
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Check out the PRO nine web site they have some EXCELLENT equipment at very decent prices. PLate shoes or some type of steel toed tennis shoe are a absolute must. If you think gear is expensive think how much a broke foot might cost you.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Listed below is a link to Gerry Davis Sports and a starter package which includes chest protector, Chin Guards, mask etc.
Wouldn't the mask have a chin guard??

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Yes, but they do come in pairs.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
Wouldn't the mask have a chin guard??