Thread: Umpire Burnout
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Timely indeed!! I've recently blocked out two weeks of my time, not solely because of burnout, but because of a gross lack of support from my association. I don't need the stress of working a game and have a coach come out agressivly cussing me up one side and down the other then have my association tell me I'm looking for trouble. Same coach easy call, R1 stealing on the pitch, batter swings through and comes across the plate as F2 attempts to throw down. Coach comes out screaming there has to be contact for BI, short version, he get's dumped... two weeks later, same coach same team, same play, he starts to chirp, kicks something in the dugout, before I can get my mask off, he shuts up, next inning, with a ball hit into LF, his team challanges F7, with a play at the plate, he's out by three feet, now he comes out yelling and screaming, droping "F" Bombs right and left, easy heave ho!! I'm told by my assignor I'm looking for trouble. Working a Legion tourney last week, local team getting beat up on, mercy rule is in affect, last at bat if they can't score. Team hasn't been able to catch hit or pitch all day, R1 with a hard hit ball to F4, double play ball with a banger at first, I call him out. Coach comes over from third base coach's box yelling, you can't call that, we need a play here. Although I agree, he needed a play, his runner was out, I tell him, coach it was a close play but I got an out. He ask's me if I'm in a hurry and have a date, I stop him and tell him to go back to his box. He comes back and says your F'n $hit... he's gone, After he continues at full volume for five minutes, the game continues and they lose the game. I later hear I dumped him for no reason. Hmmm why work for an association that tells you to keep coaches in the game when they treat you like crap, use foul language and blame the umpire for his teams lack of performance. This coach is known for this in our area. Yet, he gets away with it on a regular basis. I don't know of one umpire that hasn't heard from him on balls and strikes, yet they allow it to happen. I have read the verbal judo book and attended the Portland clinic. I agree it does work well for most situations, I also agree sometimes it goes from one to five in one step, however my association seems to want us to use a fifteen step, keep em in the game and take what they say approach. They don't pay enough IMHO, so I'm taking time off.

Eject early and often. Call out the Assoc President / BOD at your next meeting. If the refuse to change, leave. (Hint - I would have been gone long ago). There is a shortage of decent umpires in almost every area, so go find a different one.