Thread: Umpire Burnout
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Pete,
I started umpiring in the 60's at the age of 15. Was excited at being paid for it. When I joined the Army I continued and I have umpired in several countries and a bunch of states. While in the Army I got the chance to fill in for the Minor Leagues and realized that I would never be good enough to get any higher because I was told I wore glasses and it would stop me.

I have done college and semi-pro and high school throughout the 70's 80's and 90's. In the late 90's I stopped doing semi-pro ball and started doing fill in for college only.

I quit doing college sports 5 years ago because of the people playing and the people coaching.

I have quit slowpitch softball because I refuse to be a bartender/wet-nurse.

I now do High School and youth baseball/softball only.

It has gotten to the point where I have just about stopped umpiring rec ball because I end up tossing a player or coach every game because they will start the name calling or want to argue balls and strikes.

Last week I umpired a state qualifier and ejected a coach because he insisted that I couldn't see and chose to leave the game.

This weekend past I did a state level tournament and I gave a coach a choice of staying in the game and stop arguing with parents or going to his car, he chose to stay.