The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Okay I need a little help. I freely admit I absolutely love officiating games. I'd rather ref than play golf(I know I'm sick). I've had a very full schedule this year. I wanted it. I still do.

However, today I have a game and just the thought is making my stomach turn.

How do you get over the burnout from the end of the regular season and pump yourself up to be excited for the play-offs????
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 01:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I've gone through this, mostly earlier in my career.

I've learned that it's best for me to pace myself. It might take a season or two, but you'll find what frequency of assignments will work for you. What is the first "to go": is it beong getting mentally prepared for an assignment, or it is being physically drained (ankles, knees, etc.)?

Pacing yourself can difficult if you're, for example, a 2nd or 3rd yr. official where you're starting to really learn many things and you feel that you're learning curve is going through the roof.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question How many games do you do a week?

Maybe you are just doing too many games on an average week. I only work about 3 days. I stay focused on HS and some college ball. I can sometimes do more but I do not make it a habit to do so. I also do two other sports and basically work all year long. Now that might be hard to do in your area, but I think working 6 days in a week can be a bit much when you have other responsibilities. I think we tend to overdue it because we think someone else is going to take our place. But if you are worried about burnout, that might be something to consider.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by garote
Okay I need a little help. I freely admit I absolutely love officiating games. I'd rather ref than play golf(I know I'm sick). I've had a very full schedule this year. I wanted it. I still do.

However, today I have a game and just the thought is making my stomach turn.

How do you get over the burnout from the end of the regular season and pump yourself up to be excited for the play-offs????
Both Juggler and Jeff are correct. Pace yourself. If you can get away with it politically, talk to your assignor about turning back a game or two this week. That evening, rest physically, and turn your mind to something else, such as a nice board game with your kids, or a pleasant dinner out. The family doesn't mind this, either!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 02:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: How many games do you do a week?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Maybe you are just doing too many games on an average week. I only work about 3 days. I stay focused on HS and some college ball. I can sometimes do more but I do not make it a habit to do so. I also do two other sports and basically work all year long. Now that might be hard to do in your area, but I think working 6 days in a week can be a bit much when you have other responsibilities. I think we tend to overdue it because we think someone else is going to take our place. But if you are worried about burnout, that might be something to consider.

Peace
I just looked at my calendar. 32 HS games for the entire season, plus about 5 dates of youth rec ball and one game of adult rec ball that reminded me why I don't work adult rec ball. That's it. I have 3 HS dates left and this Saturday I'm working a youth rec tourney. Then I take a glorious month off until my first baseball DH in late March. Only second year in the state so I'm not playoff eligible so I'll spend March watching hoops on TV.

Part of my learning curve was recognizing that quality is more important than quantity. I decided this season to work nothing below the HS varsity level, and I've been true to that although I could've certainly had more games had I worked lower level ball. I'm sure that not working lower levels has cost me some schools in the area, but that's OK. 2 or 3 games a week is more than enough for me and I want those games to be at a level of my choosing. Gives me time to spend at home and time to spend in my career without feeling completely burned out.

--Rich
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: Re: How many games do you do a week?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[

I just looked at my calendar. 32 HS games for the entire season, plus about 5 dates of youth rec ball and one game of adult rec ball that reminded me why I don't work adult rec ball. That's it. I have 3 HS dates left and this Saturday I'm working a youth rec tourney. Then I take a glorious month off until my first baseball DH in late March. Only second year in the state so I'm not playoff eligible so I'll spend March watching hoops on TV.

Part of my learning curve was recognizing that quality is more important than quantity. I decided this season to work nothing below the HS varsity level, and I've been true to that although I could've certainly had more games had I worked lower level ball. I'm sure that not working lower levels has cost me some schools in the area, but that's OK. 2 or 3 games a week is more than enough for me and I want those games to be at a level of my choosing. Gives me time to spend at home and time to spend in my career without feeling completely burned out.

--Rich
Rich I do a similar thing. I probably only work about 40 varsity games a year. I might do one or two lower level games (JV only or Freshman ball) outside of that. I might do an occational Saturday morning JV game, but not much more than that. Because of my extensive football and baseball schedules, I refuse to do all those Men's leagues and games that have nothing to maintaining my college and HS schedules. Fortunately at this time after the basketball season is over, I have a few weeks of rest before the baseball season. But I do anywhere from 40-60 baseball games if the weather stays good during the baseball season. So I am just worn out by the end of the school year. And I also choose not to do any summer baseball like others do. I need a break and some rest as well. I use that time to work some summer ball and attend camps. But the times I work is so far and few between, I can handle that during the summer.

What I have also learned is that the higher you move up, the less non-HS or scholastic ball you have to do. Most of the "big-time" officials are not working many Men's leagues or working many lower level ball. Does not mean they never will, but they are not working 7 days a week that is for sure. I still enjoy some JV games, because I learn something about my ability and my game management skills. But I cannot mentally take that pounding every day. One of the reasons I try to work only weekends during the football season. If I did not, I would burn out by early January.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

You want to get pumped up for playoffs? Find a heated rivalry and go watch the two schools battle it out. Go talk to the refs before the game, half time and afterwords. If you can catch a great match up, this will be all it will take. The energy from the players and intense play will be eclipsed by the energy from the crowd. Two schools' student sections in full force yelling at the top of their lungs, in a packed HS gym. Are you kidding me? Getting to hear both sides of the gym, hardly able to hear a whistle, players battling 110% for every loose ball. A dunk, a fight, coaches going wild, the two refs are the only thing calm amidst a storm of crazy people. You have to get pumped up for that. No matter how many games you have worked.

Go to an event like this and you'll be cured. Good luck.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Mick..........

we should be so lucky as to have burnout!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Just to Give you an idea. This is my second season as a Varsity ref. So I still mainly do JV, but I work a high school game literally every night except Saturdays and Sundays.

On Saturday I do 2 CYO games as a favor to a friend. They only last an hour a piece and it's the younger kids.

All of this started the day before Thanksgiving.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 05:06pm
In Memoriam

Re: Hey Mick..........

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
we should be so lucky as to have burnout!
zebra44,
Yeah, but right now I'm in the middle of 7 games in 8 days.
I'll have to catch a nap before I watch you work round of 32.
mick
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Rather ref than play golf??? You must live somewhere where there isn't 30" of snow on the ground. I would much rather play golf than ref, but we don't have that choice up north. In a few years, I'll do both. Golf in the morning and ref in the afternoon and evening.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: How many games do you do a week?

Quote:

Peace
Rut: I agree with you on this point. On the Saturday night before the Super Bowl, I worked 2 B-18 rec games with a partner that told me the 2 games were his 8th & 9th of the day! He also worked HS ball 4 nights that week, and had 4 rec games starting at 7:00 am on Sunday. I told him he was crazy -- he is in his mid-50's. I don't see how anyone can possibly maintain concentration doing 8-9 games a day. He did tell me he was in it for the $$$.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: How many games do you do a week?

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

Peace
Rut: I agree with you on this point. On the Saturday night before the Super Bowl, I worked 2 B-18 rec games with a partner that told me the 2 games were his 8th & 9th of the day! He also worked HS ball 4 nights that week, and had 4 rec games starting at 7:00 am on Sunday. I told him he was crazy -- he is in his mid-50's. I don't see how anyone can possibly maintain concentration doing 8-9 games a day. He did tell me he was in it for the $$$.
Rec ball is all about the money. I'll be the first one to admit it. With all the BS that goes on in much of te rec ball I can't imagine anyone (at least around) here that finds it fun.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

This is my third year of officiating. I worked a few varsity games this season, have about 5 lined up for next season so far. I primarily work JV/Soph games with some Freshman and middle school as well. I have also done some youth tournament games this year but not as much as the previous two years. I worked every game I could get my first two years and probably more than I really wanted to this year and I am ready for the season to end, both mentally and physically. Seems like the players and coaches tend to get grumpier towards the end of the season too. I have done as many as six games in one day and I can say without question that I am not nearly as sharp mentally by that last game as I was for the first. However, when you are trying to get established you really feel pressured into accepting those assignments to get your name out there and make some friends. The guys that assign for those weekend youth leagues want to contact as few officials as possible so they want you to work as many games as you can stand. I have seen guys work 10 games in a day. I will be backing off next year and will try to schedule only 2-3 nights per week. I think my wife will appreciate it and I hope it will allow me to enjoy the last few weeks of the season.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaMike
This is my third year of officiating. I worked a few varsity games this season, have about 5 lined up for next season so far. I primarily work JV/Soph games with some Freshman and middle school as well. I have also done some youth tournament games this year but not as much as the previous two years. I worked every game I could get my first two years and probably more than I really wanted to this year and I am ready for the season to end, both mentally and physically. Seems like the players and coaches tend to get grumpier towards the end of the season too. I have done as many as six games in one day and I can say without question that I am not nearly as sharp mentally by that last game as I was for the first. However, when you are trying to get established you really feel pressured into accepting those assignments to get your name out there and make some friends. The guys that assign for those weekend youth leagues want to contact as few officials as possible so they want you to work as many games as you can stand. I have seen guys work 10 games in a day. I will be backing off next year and will try to schedule only 2-3 nights per week. I think my wife will appreciate it and I hope it will allow me to enjoy the last few weeks of the season.
The end of the season is tough on everyone. I worked a game between a 3-14 team and a 14-3 team on Tuesday. 22-5 after one quarter. Coaches were well behaved until the third quarter when I no-called some contact on a drive. Good no-call, good defense, coach wanted me to bail out his out of control player. I let him vent for a while and then had a quiet word with him and asked him (not in these terms) to knock it off.

The more experience you get, the better you can handle situations, even when you are tired mentally and need a break. Course I'm done next week