Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

interference on a thrown ball

hi,
i got 2 questions.

1. runners on 1st and 2nd, 1out.
runner 2 hinders SS during his throw to 3rd base.
whats the call ?
R2 out (only) ? or R2 out AND BR (automatic) or only if a double play would have been possible ? whats the call with 2 outs ? BR out ?
would be nice if you could tell me with rules enforces your call.

2. batter has a 3-2 count. the next pitch hits the umpire oder catcher in the mask and lodges there. rule 5.09g says that even this pitch would have been strike three (called or swinging??), the batter is entitled 1stbase ??

thanks in advance
bruno
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bruno_
hi,
i got 2 questions.

whats the call ?
R2 out (only) ? or R2 out AND BR (automatic) or only if a double play would have been possible ? whats the call with 2 outs ? BR out ?

2. batter has a 3-2 count. the next pitch hits the umpire oder catcher in the mask and lodges there. rule 5.09g says that even this pitch would have been strike three (called or swinging??), the batter is entitled 1stbase ??

thanks in advance
bruno
1. You are going to need to be much more specific here. HOW did R2 hinder the throw?

It is NOT interference simply because a throw happens to strike a runner. There must be some type of intent (Exception being the running lane between HP & 1B).

If it's an intentional attempt to break up a double play you can get two outs here. Otherwise R2 is out, batter goes to 1B, R1 to 2B.

2. You are correct here:

Rule 5.09(g) Comment:
If a pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia, and remains out of play, on the third strike or fourth ball, then the batter is entitled to first base and all runners advance one base. If the count on the batter is less than three balls, runners advance one base.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
hi,
i got 2 questions.

whats the call ?

thanks in advance
bruno
1. Interference on the throw must be intentional in order for R2 to be declared out. RULES: 2.00 Offensive Interference, 7.08(b), 7.09(i)

If his interference with the throw was indeed intentional, then play is dead, R2 is declared out, the batter-runner advances to first base, and R1 advances to second base. RULE: 2.00 Offensive Interference

Only when a runner intentionally interferes with a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play does the umpire declare out the next runner closest to home plate. RULE: 7.09(h)

If the umpire judges that the intentional interference with the throw was an attempt to interfere with the pivot man trying to make a play on a following runner or batter-runner during a double play, then the batter-runner is also declared out. RULE: 6.05(m)

2. You are correct. The lodged ball constitutes an uncaught third strike entitling the batter to first base. With less than two outs and first base occupied, however, the batter is out and only the runners are awarded one base. It must be noted that the ball needs to lodge in the umpire's or catcher's mask or paraphernalia and stay there. If it temporarily lodges and then drops out, or is quickly retrieved, the ball remains live and in play.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

thanks a lot for your quick answers.
@ jim porter,
"Only when a runner intentionally interferes with a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play does the umpire declare out the next runner closest to home plate. RULE: 7.09(h)"

i thought in this situation i have to call the runner AND the BR out (less than 2 outs) and "the runner closest to homeplate" only if the BR interferes a player who attempts to play the double play!
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

That's right.

You might wonder why the batter is awarded 1B when he strikes out and the pitch lodges in a mask. The rationale is this: on strike 3 not legally caught, the runner is entitled to run to 1B. Since the lodged ball is dead, the BR is awarded the base. We don't penalize the offense for mistakes (failing to catch the pitch) by the defense.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
thanks a lot for your quick answers.
@ jim porter,
"Only when a runner intentionally interferes with a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play does the umpire declare out the next runner closest to home plate. RULE: 7.09(h)"

i thought in this situation i have to call the runner AND the BR out (less than 2 outs) and "the runner closest to homeplate" only if the BR interferes a player who attempts to play the double play!
Yeah, I screwed up my answer. I even screwed up the rule citation. Fifty lashes for me!

If the batter-runner interferes with a batted ball with the intent to break up a double play, then you call out the runner closest to home plate. 7.09(f)

If a runner interferes with a batted ball with the intent to break up a double play, then you call out the batter-runner as well. 7.09(e).

There, I think that's better.