Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bruno_
hi,
i got 2 questions.

1. runners on 1st and 2nd, 1out.
runner 2 hinders SS during his throw to 3rd base.
whats the call ?
R2 out (only) ? or R2 out AND BR (automatic) or only if a double play would have been possible ? whats the call with 2 outs ? BR out ?
would be nice if you could tell me with rules enforces your call.

2. batter has a 3-2 count. the next pitch hits the umpire oder catcher in the mask and lodges there. rule 5.09g says that even this pitch would have been strike three (called or swinging??), the batter is entitled 1stbase ??

thanks in advance
bruno
1. Interference on the throw must be intentional in order for R2 to be declared out. RULES: 2.00 Offensive Interference, 7.08(b), 7.09(i)

If his interference with the throw was indeed intentional, then play is dead, R2 is declared out, the batter-runner advances to first base, and R1 advances to second base. RULE: 2.00 Offensive Interference

Only when a runner intentionally interferes with a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play does the umpire declare out the next runner closest to home plate. RULE: 7.09(h)

If the umpire judges that the intentional interference with the throw was an attempt to interfere with the pivot man trying to make a play on a following runner or batter-runner during a double play, then the batter-runner is also declared out. RULE: 6.05(m)

2. You are correct. The lodged ball constitutes an uncaught third strike entitling the batter to first base. With less than two outs and first base occupied, however, the batter is out and only the runners are awarded one base. It must be noted that the ball needs to lodge in the umpire's or catcher's mask or paraphernalia and stay there. If it temporarily lodges and then drops out, or is quickly retrieved, the ball remains live and in play.