The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Another Situation from last night (I had alot of odd plays)

ASA Adult SP
R2 on 1st
R1 on 2nd
Batter gets a hit to outfield - F8 throws ball to F6 - who turns and throws ball right at ODB who is 15-20 feet from Home (Both teams had grey uniforms, so I think he just saw grey and threw) - R2 is has already touched Home when ball hits ODB - ODB had tries to move out of way but lands on ball - ODB was watching runners and not expecting ball to be thrown so far from the plate.

I ruled Dead Ball and left R1 on 3rd and BR on 2nd, since that is where they were when ball hit ODB. After reading some of the other threads about non-runner interference, it seems like maybe I should have called R2 out. This it seems to me would have helped the defense for throwing at the ODB.

How would you have called it?
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

On deck batter could be charged with interference if they interfere with the throw or possible
tag of a runner, but I can see where it probably got very confusing, both teams wearing same
uniforms.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Another problem with this field is not much foul territory for the ODB to stand in. He was already 15-20 feet from plate and against the fence, which is only about 8 feet from the foul line. He had trouble getting out of the way partly because he was against the fence.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

When the ball hits the ODB, we have a blocked ball, and, therefore a dead ball. We have nothing else if you judge that this did not interfere with a defensive player's opportunity to make an out (7-1.E); this can be because there was no action, or because the runners had already safely advanced.

In all cases, the ball becomes dead immediately, and runners are returned to the last base touched (8-5.G(3)); that, in itself, is already a penalty to the offense for the actions (even if inadvertant) of the ODB. If the blocked ball kept a defensive player from an opportunity to make an out, then the runner closest home is out, too.

The ODB can stay in the dugout if there isn't enough room to be on the field; if on the field, s/he is responsible to stay out of live play.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

We wore this out a few months ago.

Abel on 3B, 1 out. Baker hits a fly to F7. Abel tags up after the catch and tries to score. The ODB moves to a point about 15 feet behind home plate, and indicates to Abel that he should slide. The throw bounces through F2 and hits the ODB a split second before Abel slides across the plate.

Ruling: Blocked ball. Send Abel back to 3B.

Can't wait to make that call.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I admit that you all have me confused here. What rule are you using to rule this a blocked ball. By rule, the on-deck batter is allowed on the field with certain restriction, and may not interfer with the defensive teams ability to make an out.

They are in a legal position, not discarded equipment and this ODB got hit with a bad throw by an infielder? Sounds like you want to punish the offense for a bad throw by the defense.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KBoy
I admit that you all have me confused here. What rule are you using to rule this a blocked ball. By rule, the on-deck batter is allowed on the field with certain restriction, and may not interfer with the defensive teams ability to make an out.

They are in a legal position, not discarded equipment and this ODB got hit with a bad throw by an infielder? Sounds like you want to punish the offense for a bad throw by the defense.
Speaking ASA.

The ODB does not have a "legal position". There is a position to which they are restricted and only certain times they may leave that area. They must ALWAYS give way to the defense making a play on the ball regardless of the origin of the ball.

BTW, the rule is 7.1.E.1
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
1) Gold star to F6 for not throwing at the umpire.

2) R2 is out for passing R1.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I see I got my R1 and R2 confused - good catch Cecil
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
I see I got my R1 and R2 confused - good catch Cecil
Just for laughs!