The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsjc
It may be a stupid thing to ask but you do ask it right?
No. I don't.

But that's because I don't do FED ball anymore.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against those who do. Hopefully this will discourage some hypersensitive chap here from throwing a hissy fit.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Please explain to me how as an umpire, you could be expected to know the ground rules of each and every field you work on? Why would you not want the home team coach to cover the ground rules at his park?

I had two games scheduled in one week at the same school. In the span of 2 days, what used to be open field was now fenced with temporary fencing and other additions were made to the field. The ground rules had changed considerably between Tuesday and Friday. Don't assume anything.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Garth you forgot the most important one.

Checks or cash gentlemen. That is probably number one because if we do not get paid at the plate conference there is no need to ask the other 3 questions on your list. I am predominately talking about Summer ball.

Pete Booth

So what do you do if they don't have it? Leave?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just actually curious.

My assignor says: just do the game... you'll get paid, don't worry. if the team stiffs us a game fee, they immediately get cut off from getting umpires until they pay up.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Had this one last year;

Coach "Hey blue, are you calling the corners today?"

The Plate guy (I was on the bases)"Can your pitcher throw it there?"

Needless to say it was a long day.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Although not at the plate conference, I had a partner say, "I'm not gonna take any $hit today!"

He exclaimed this right in front of the home team's dugout as we were walking to the plate for the conference.

When the coaches got there, the tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I couldn't wait to end the meeting and get away from my partner, I had the bases.

BTW- They rode him mercilessly... it was a hoot!
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Ump25
I did not realize that hissy fits were thrown anywhere but the deep south.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

As for the ground rules....I think it depends. Sometime this season it is possible that I'll do a college DIII game on a field that I have umpired almost 400 games on. The college team occasionally uses this field when their field is unplayable (April in New England being what it is). Who better to give the ground rules, the manager or me?
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 02:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Although not at the plate conference, I had a partner say, "I'm not gonna take any $hit today!"

He exclaimed this right in front of the home team's dugout as we were walking to the plate for the conference.

When the coaches got there, the tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I couldn't wait to end the meeting and get away from my partner, I had the bases.

BTW- They rode him mercilessly... it was a hoot!
Along these lines, we had this guy that ended his plate conference with, "This is your one warning right here, so I don't want to hear anything about my calls, is that clear?"

Way to set a good tone for the game . I was embarrassed for everyone there.

After I worked the bases that day, I had the clown scratched from being assigned with me, and I never had to work with him again.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
It's a stupid question when the conference in which the game was played does NOT utilize this. My partner should have known this. I have never worked a D-1 conference that has.
I have, though it's much more likely in non-conference games.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpumpire
As for the ground rules....I think it depends. Sometime this season it is possible that I'll do a college DIII game on a field that I have umpired almost 400 games on. The college team occasionally uses this field when their field is unplayable (April in New England being what it is). Who better to give the ground rules, the manager or me?
IMO
It's not a matter who's better, it's a matter of courtesy.
Out of courtesy to the HT manager you should defer to him for ground rules. If it's not his regular field and he forgets something, you can always tactfully remind him.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpumpire
If the home coach wants to play with different ground rules than are normally played at the field, it's his right as long as the visiting coach agrees. Who is the umpire to usurp this process?
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
This was bad.

HTC, "Ground rules? Oh you mean like field rules?"
PU, "Yes, anything I need to know"
HTC, "Well we have the occasional dead body in backstop area but nothing else."
PU, "huh?"

(Background: A drug related homicide had occurred and a body was found behind the backstop On Opening Day of the Season. Everything was postponed for a week but the League had erected a tarp over the backstop to keep the chalklines out of player view).

Yuk
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

All of these are actual:

At the plate conference:

Partner (to coaches): "A priest, a minister and a rabbi walk into a bar..."

Do you really need to hear the rest to know that I was pissed?
--------------------------------------------------------------

Partner (to me, before coaches arrive): "You got great pitching, should be a quick game."

Me: "Will you shut the F up!"

The jinx was on!
__________________________________________________ ___

Partner (after having had a detailed pre-game meeting before we came on the field): "Now tell me again, when do I go out on a fly?"

Me: "Oh, shi(t)."
__________________________________________________ _____

Partner: "Call a big strike zone tonight, I have to get to another field for another game after this."

Me: "Up yours."

Last edited by lawump; Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 12:12pm.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Best things ever said at a plate meeting at which I was a participant:

Manager: "I want to talk a minute about last night's game."
Me: "No you don't."
Manager: "Yes I do. You guys were horse(crap) last night and really put us in a difficult situation, and you've been horse (crap) all year."
Me: "Is that your line-up card?"
Manager: "Yeah"
Me: "Can I have it."
(Manager gives me the card)
Me: "Good, now Good-bye!"

--Halfway through the meeting, It begins to rain---

Me: "Gentlemen, we'll finish this meeing up later. Keep the boys in the dugout."

Me (30 minutes later): "See you tomorrow."
Head coach: "We're ready to go, blue, but we only have 7. The others will probably be here after the basketball game is done."

Me: "We're done...and, skip, I need my paycheck."
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Please explain to me how as an umpire, you could be expected to know the ground rules of each and every field you work on? Why would you not want the home team coach to cover the ground rules at his park?

I had two games scheduled in one week at the same school. In the span of 2 days, what used to be open field was now fenced with temporary fencing and other additions were made to the field. The ground rules had changed considerably between Tuesday and Friday. Don't assume anything.
I would love to explain to you why I give the ground rules. I am conducting the pre-game conf. I am in control. I like to give the ground rules because it shows that I am in control. If I have never done a game on the field... I usually say "ok ground rules... stop me if you have something different and we will discuss it." I can usually go around the field without much trouble, if and when I get to an area where I am unsure, I ask a question. It just shows the coaches and players that I am the authority... not them. I like it when the coaches don't say much at the pre-game conf. and throughout the game itself. Just my opinion, for what its worth.