The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Utah We have a coaches & captains pre-game conf. This is usually a real quick talk to remind each about their responsibilities in relationship to sportsmanship.

Here's my question. What other states do this if any? Also, do you have any penalties if the head (for that level) coach does not attend the conf. What if he/she sends an Assistant Coach?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

State of WA

In or area, and to my knowledge in others parts of WA we invite the coach or an asst. representing him/her, to join the capt. in the pre-game conf. They are not obligated to attend, and 99.999% of the time choose not to. I belive I heard of one instance a couple of years ago where one coach chose to and it seemed like it was more in a light-hearted manner with some humor involve--at which no one took offense.

Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

in PA we have a mandatory pre-game sportsmanship conference with captains and the HEAD coach present...
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

In WI we have both. We get captains at 12:00 mark. Captains is very brief with just intro's and sportsmanship / communications issues. R then goes to table to care of those duties. The problem I've been running into lately is that the players are not on the court at the 12:00 mark even though we tell them when we take the floor. If they're not on the court (gone to locker room for final pregame speech), we just do the book at 10:00 and captains when they are both on the floor. Then at 1:30 we introduce ourselves to the coaches and have them verify that their players are properly equiped and will play in a sporting manner. Usually they say yes, but every once in a while you'll get the lawyer who will say "I can't guarantee that they will". I've never come accross one that said no. Ump then signs the book, take off jackets, National Anthem, intros, Lets Rock!

Mregor
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

When I worked in California, we would meet with the coaches separately - but that was a while ago - they might have changed to meeting them at the same time now. Here in Oregon we meet with the coaches at the same time - just a formality asking the 2 basic questions. I've noticed some of the veteran officials who already know the coaches appear a little embarassed asking if their players are going to play with good sportsmanship and are properly dressed. Then we meet with the captains. I have never had a coach refuse to meet prior to the game - that would certainly set a fun tone for the game.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IAABO_Ref
We have the captions and coaches meeting at around the 8 min mark. We ask the three questions to the coaches and we have to get yes answers from the coaches. #1: are all your players properly and legally equipped in accordance with the rules? #2: Will your players wear there uniforms properly? #3: Will your team display good sportsmanship throughout tonight game? For the most part we turn that into one three part question and get one yes answer from both coaches.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Dido to the last replay. We do the same in Illinois
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
Dido to the last replay.
Dido? Her first album was alright. This new one is just kind of derivative. At least that's what I felt when I heard the last replay.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

As far as San Francisco has been going, we have been emphasizing good sportsmanship, etc, etc during our pregame with the captain's and then we meet with coaches afterward.

Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

In Florida we also have a mandatory conference with captains and the head coaches.

We all meet together in front of the table at about the 8:00 mark. The state association provides us with a card that we are required to read. The card has two parts, one asking the coaches to certify that their players are "properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during the contest" (I'm not making this up).

The second part reminds the captains that officials are required by the state to enforce all rules regarding sportsmanship, and to remind their teammates of this. There's also a reminder about keeping their shirts tucked in and removing all jewelry before the game.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I should clarify. In WA we have the meeting with the coaches seperate from the players as several of you have described and cover the same things mentioned: sportsmanship, uniforms, identify capts, then ask if they would like to be at the Capts. meeting as well. Then the conf. with the capts.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty

Here in Oregon we meet with the coaches at the same time - just a formality asking the 2 basic questions.
2 questions? I thought it was 3 questions???

BRIDGEKEEPER: Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.
LAUNCELOT: Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I am not afraid.
BRIDGEKEEPER: What... is your name?
LAUNCELOT: My name is 'Sir Launcelot of Camelot'.
BRIDGEKEEPER: What... is your quest?
LAUNCELOT: To seek the Holy Grail.
BRIDGEKEEPER: What... is your favourite colour?
LAUNCELOT: Blue.
BRIDGEKEEPER: Right. Off you go.
LAUNCELOT: Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.

I see this thread headng no where good....
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

BRIDGEKEEPER: Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.
LAUNCELOT: Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I am not afraid.
BRIDGEKEEPER: What... is your name?
LAUNCELOT: My name is 'Sir Launcelot of Camelot'.
BRIDGEKEEPER: What... is your quest?
LAUNCELOT: To seek the Holy Grail.
BRIDGEKEEPER: What... is your favourite colour?
LAUNCELOT: Blue.
BRIDGEKEEPER: Right. Off you go.
LAUNCELOT: Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.

[/B]
Bridgekeeper: What type of bird, yada yada yada...(don't remember)...
Lancelot: "african or european swallow?

-------thought it was a funny laugh. Thanks.

-------but onto the current subject of this text:
In Idaho we have a mandatory conference w/ captains and A coach. If the head coach wishes to not be present, we don't force him/her. And, if one doesnot wish to be present we don't force them either. We did for the first year we started this, and it just caused more grief than it helped. We do ask if they're legally and properly equipped, that's it. In our conf. w/ captains we stress good sporting behavior and the likes, w/ any other rule changes. I find that through out the season, we run into little problems here and there that I can use in the pregame w/ captains and coaches, sometimes.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebracz

Bridgekeeper: What type of bird, yada yada yada...(don't remember)...
Lancelot: "african or european swallow?

-------thought it was a funny laugh. Thanks.

[/B]
Bridgekeeper: "What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?"
Knight: "African or European"
Bridgekeepee: "Uh, I don't know that. . . AAAAAAAAAAA"