The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Just so we're clear, at least as of 1997, it was an accepted and taught mechanic at pro school that the umpire, if he knew the ground rules, could and should give the ground rules at the plate meeting.

This would be especially true if you were in higher levels of baseball where they post the ground rules in the umpire's locker room (before the game) OR if you've been in the league for multiple years such that you knew the ground rules in each park backward and forward.

I always give the ground rules at the pre-game meeting if I now them (which I admit, is not always the case on the amateur level). If I'm wrong, the home coach will correct me (hasn't happened, yet.)

I have, however, finished a plate conference and had a coach say, "Damn, son, you're the most prepared umpire I've ever met." (That is a true story). Needless to say, I did not hear a peep that game.

IMHO, it shows that one is in control of the game in a positive manner (not in a dictatorial manner). I think the Star Wars references are out-of-place in this matter.

It is, of course, perfectly acceptable to allow the home coach to give them. I'm just suggesting that it is also perfectly acceptable for the plate umpire to give them in the alternative. I've found the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
IMHO, it shows that one is in control of the game in a positive manner (not in a dictatorial manner). I think the Star Wars references are out-of-place in this matter.
It's called humor, perhaps even a wee bit of sarcasm. Loosen up those panties a bit and enjoy life.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I can appreciate good humor. For instance, there have been many posts in many threads on this and other umpiring boards where a reply post suggesting that the original poster was acting like Palpatine would have been pretty funny. This was not one of those threads, IMHO.

I do not lack a sense of humor just because this attempt at humor fell flat.

You want humor? then go to You tube and seach for "Death at Home Plate a Little League Tragedy."
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You want humor? then go to You tube and seach for "Death at Home Plate a Little League Tragedy."

Are you getting royalties for that vid, or what?
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Nah, it just broke up a very, very long day at work yesterday.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

sorry, the emperior sound bite was very funny, and relevent to the conversation.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can appreciate good humor. For instance, there have been many posts in many threads on this and other umpiring boards where a reply post suggesting that the original poster was acting like Palpatine would have been pretty funny. This was not one of those threads, IMHO.

I do not lack a sense of humor just because this attempt at humor fell flat.

My friend, you need to get laid!
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:48am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
No, I expect him to say "yes." Then when, as in a game last week, his catcher comes out with an illegal helmet and mask after being warned in a previous game, I toss the coach's sorry butt along with the catcher.
when a coach confirms that the players are properly equipped is the start of an excellent defense for the umpire should something happened and you get named in a lawsuit...
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

So would bringing out releases for them to sign.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
My friend, you need to get laid!
Admittedly, it has been a long, long week at work. Turned in a lot of games!

(Sigh)...was going out with the wife tonight, for a night on the town...but then my son's LL game got moved from Saturday afternoon to tonight. I have no idea why. And I got that news via voice mail last night.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 03:36pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Releases is a good idea, but it's more work than it's worth...those are proven to not mean squat in court...hopefully none of us have to worry about being named in a law suit...that would suck.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

More wrong you could not be.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'd rather run the risk of not getting paid for a date than look like I'm walking to the plate with my hand out.
Rich for what it's worth, my assignor explains this Crystal Clear in the summer meetings with the leagues we service.

We do not go to the plate with our hands out but the leagues no Up front how we get paid.

As mentioned it all depends upon what's the accepted practice where you work.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

Rich for what it's worth, my assignor explains this Crystal Clear in the summer meetings with the leagues we service.

We do not go to the plate with our hands out but the leagues no Up front how we get paid.

As mentioned it all depends upon what's the accepted practice where you work.

Pete Booth

I understand completely, I was doing some games here in Texas (Connie Mack) After the pregame meeting my partner asked for payment at the plate. This is part of what the league does here. Plain and simple, if you dont ask for payment, some coaches will stiff you!