The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsjc
I would love to explain to you why I give the ground rules. Blah, blah blah. I am in control. If I have never done a game on the field... I usually say Blah, blah, blah, blah. It just shows the coaches and players that I am the authority... not them. I like it when the coaches don't say much at the pre-game conf. and throughout the game itself. Just my opinion, for what its worth.
More like "Out of control"
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would love to explain to you why I give the ground rules. I am conducting the pre-game conf. I am in control. I like to give the ground rules because it shows that I am in control. It just shows the coaches and players that I am the authority... not them.
Oh. One of THOSE umpires.

Why is it so important for you to prove your power to the world? You don't need any of this rigamarole to show you are "in control" - if you ask me, it shows me that you seem rather unsure of your control if you feel the need to assert it so strongly.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would love to explain to you why I give the ground rules. I am conducting the pre-game conf. I am in control. I like to give the ground rules because it shows that I am in control. just shows the coaches and players that I am the authority... not them.
To each their own

But IMO

If deferring the explanation of ground rules to the HT manager lessens my position of authority on the field that day I have serious problems.

Quite frankly more authority is shown using the traditional method.
For example:

Option 1

PU
"Frank, won't you take us around the field and explain the ground rules"
I just told the coach what to do, and he did it. How much more authority do you need than that?

Option 2

PU
"OK, here are the ground rules......blah blah blah....."

Frank
"No Don, the tarps in play today" insert any change, addition, or oversight you wish.

Now Frank just trumped you. He corrected you and you must submit. You just relinquished authority in this situation.

Just maybe there's a reason HT manager giving the ground rules is traditional.

Last edited by Don Mueller; Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 01:48pm.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 02:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I would love to explain to you why I give the ground rules. I am conducting the pre-game conf. I am in control. I like to give the ground rules because it shows that I am in control. If I have never done a game on the field... I usually say "ok ground rules... stop me if you have something different and we will discuss it." I can usually go around the field without much trouble, if and when I get to an area where I am unsure, I ask a question. It just shows the coaches and players that I am the authority... not them. I like it when the coaches don't say much at the pre-game conf. and throughout the game itself. Just my opinion, for what its worth.
It's worth about $0.00000000000000001 per word. Maybe less.

Lineup cards, home coach gives the ground rules, start game. I'm in quiet, perfect control.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am conducting the pre-game conf. I am in control. I like to give the ground rules because it shows that I am in control...... It just shows the coaches and players that I am the authority... not them. ...
Do you demand a loyalty oath at the end?
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
So what do you do if they don't have it? Leave?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just actually curious.

My assignor says: just do the game... you'll get paid, don't worry. if the team stiffs us a game fee, they immediately get cut off from getting umpires until they pay up.
I am talking summer ball only. In HS like Garth we get our monthly check

In summer ball with the exception of Tournaments (the assignor gets the money up front and pays us after the tournament is over) we get paid at the plate.

if we do not get paid at the plate we do not do the game. We inform the assignor and good luck on those teams getting umpires in the future.

Using your scenario
Quote:
just do the game... you'll get paid, don't worry.
you could do a Double Dip and not get paid for some 5/6 hours of work.

Also, at least from my experience, I am not going to wait around until AFTER the game to get paid - too many problems.

The aforementioned is the accepted practice in the association and area in which I work.

As they say to each his own

Pete Booth
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would love to explain to you why I give the ground rules. I am conducting the pre-game conf. I am in control. I like to give the ground rules because it shows that I am in control. If I have never done a game on the field... I usually say "ok ground rules... stop me if you have something different and we will discuss it." I can usually go around the field without much trouble, if and when I get to an area where I am unsure, I ask a question. It just shows the coaches and players that I am the authority... not them. I like it when the coaches don't say much at the pre-game conf. and throughout the game itself. Just my opinion, for what its worth.
Bellsjc in the pregame meeting...
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Also, at least from my experience, I am not going to wait around until AFTER the game to get paid - too many problems.
Pete Booth
I think it depends.

If I'm getting paid by a coach - then I definitely want it up front, as this could be the LAST person you want to be either waiting on or having a conversation with after the game.

If I'm getting paid by site admin, however, I have no problems getting it after - heck, sometimes they have to work up the concessions to pay us, and don't even have it beforehand.

If it's a HS game though, it's usually a check in the mail round here.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25

Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinblue24
At least by doing this makes you no longer liabel.
In a perfect world maybe.
But in reality it just makes the lawyers richer
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 05:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

In summer ball with the exception of Tournaments (the assignor gets the money up front and pays us after the tournament is over) we get paid at the plate.

if we do not get paid at the plate we do not do the game. We inform the assignor and good luck on those teams getting umpires in the future.

Using your scenario you could do a Double Dip and not get paid for some 5/6 hours of work.

The aforementioned is the accepted practice in the association and area in which I work.

Pete Booth
I'd rather run the risk of not getting paid for a date than look like I'm walking to the plate with my hand out.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinblue24
At least by doing this makes you no longer liabel.
Is she related to Lulabell?
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Is everyone legally equipped?"

I still maintain this is one of the stupidest things to ask. What do we expect a coach to say--"Uh, no. We have three illegal bats, two cracked helmets, and a wad of vaseline we intend to use."?
Of course!:P
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Using your scenario you could do a Double Dip and not get paid for some 5/6 hours of work.

Pete Booth
For HS we do not get a monthly check- paid at the pregame meeting like summer.

But yes, what i was referring to when my assignor says "don't worry, you'll get paid" is that we will eventually (probably by next meeting) get paid in full for whatever we worked and didn't get paid up front for.

I would never wait around until after a game for money. Too much bad stuff can happen as you said. My partners are not going to up and leave, make everyone go home, and reschedule for another day just because they don't have the money up front. We will get our money and the coach will be severely repremanded by our assignor, but just up and leaving is not the way we want it handled in our area.

Likewise, if i umpired in your area, i'd do the same as you.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Is everyone legally equipped?"

I still maintain this is one of the stupidest things to ask. What do we expect a coach to say--"Uh, no. We have three illegal bats, two cracked helmets, and a wad of vaseline we intend to use."?
No, I expect him to say "yes." Then when, as in a game last week, his catcher comes out with an illegal helmet and mask after being warned in a previous game, I toss the coach's sorry butt along with the catcher.