The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pre-Game Conf, Things NOT to say!! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/33178-pre-game-conf-things-not-say.html)

RPatrino Tue Mar 27, 2007 09:50pm

Pre-Game Conf, Things NOT to say!!

"Coaches, remember, if you come out to warm up the pitcher you must have a cup on".....

Please add your own, but remember, it MUST be true.

canadaump6 Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:12pm

"It'll be a big strikezone today" (I am guilty of saying that once).

umpduck11 Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:13pm

" If you don't like a call, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself". Thankfully, this idiot is no longer in our association.

ncump7 Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:15pm

"Before we start, do either of you have any questions for us?"

MadCityRef Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:20pm

A rookie to coach after the third foul ball: "Coach, I've got no balls!"

LMan Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:28pm

"Your fly is open"

(which a partner once told me at the plate conference - the coaches got a big kick out of it :rolleyes: )

lawump Wed Mar 28, 2007 08:45am

Start of plate meeting

Coach: "Boy am I glad we have you two today. We had (John Q. Public) and (John C. Public) and they just aren't very good anymore."

Partner: "Yeah, the game has passed them by."

I shot Death Rays at my partner, and gave him a big lecture after the game on how it is highly likely that that coach would be saying the same thing about him to the umpires at his next game's plate conference.

BigUmp56 Wed Mar 28, 2007 08:52am

"Ball/strike......fair/foul........safe/out......belong to us. I don't want to hear a word out of you about any of those calls today."

The amazing thing is I tend to hear this explanation on judgment calls from several different guys each season.

Tim.

bigda65 Wed Mar 28, 2007 09:26am

This came from a partner with 1 yr experience 38 times.

"Now remember guys all throws out of play will be two bases, the one they are going to, plus one"

One manager looks directly at me, with that you know that's not right look.
As we walked back toward the 1st base dugout he asked me why I didn't say anything. I replied "Skip if there are any base awards in this game they will be right"

UMP25 Wed Mar 28, 2007 09:43am

My plate man in a D-1 game last night: "Is there a 10-run rule we need to know about?"

Uh, last time I checked, NCAA Division 1 games don't play under that. Duh.

GarthB Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:14am

Most everything other than:

Everyone legally equipped?
Skip, take us around.
Have a good game.

rei Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB

Skip, take us around.
Have a good game.

That about wraps it up eh? :)

UMP25 Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:34am

"Is everyone legally equipped?"

I still maintain this is one of the stupidest things to ask. What do we expect a coach to say--"Uh, no. We have three illegal bats, two cracked helmets, and a wad of vaseline we intend to use."? :D

PeteBooth Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:03am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB

Skip, take us around.
Have a good game.

Garth you forgot the most important one.

Checks or cash gentlemen. That is probably number one because if we do not get paid at the plate conference there is no need to ask the other 3 questions on your list. I am predominately talking about Summer ball.

Pete Booth

PeteBooth Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:05am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25
"Is everyone legally equipped?"

I still maintain this is one of the stupidest things to ask. What do we expect a coach to say--"Uh, no. We have three illegal bats, two cracked helmets, and a wad of vaseline we intend to use."? :D

It might sound stupid to you but it could save you a heck of a lot of money in the long run.

Pete Booth