The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

It's amazing in that even in the umpire community, there's back stabbing going on. Umpires want to get that good or prestigious game and also move up and unfortunately some shrink to the lowest of levels in order to accomplish that - meaning Trash the other guy .

Whenever we have a bad game or are particularily unsatisfied with our partner DON'T BE A TATLETALE and call the assignor without first confronting your partner. I know that's how I want to be treated so I give my partner the same respect.

Sometimes by mutual agreement it is impossible to work with one another but at least talk to the individual FIRST and then make your assessment. Normally an individual who is a good qulaified assignor will see through this tactic and it will actually backfire on you.

Even if you have Old Smitty as a partner, at least give him his due and even if Smitty is still stubborn then at least you gave him an opportunity so it should come to no surprise that unfortunately at this point there is no further recoarse of action other than to call the assignor because you simply cannot work with this particular individual.

In addtion, when you do want to confront your partner do it away from the action . Sometimes even in the parking lot is not far enough so if possible go have coffee or something. If it's impossible to meet, then use the phone - The important issue is Do not embarrass someone because I know I wouldn't want to be embarrased either.

What do you think and do have situations in which you would like to share that someone tried to embarrass you or Called The principal

Pete Booth
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 09:09pm
Veteran College Umpire

In the Big Ten the crew chief must fill out detailed rating forms on the whole crew, including himself. These must then be submitted to the assignor, and need NOT be shared with the crew members. Whenever I am a crew chief, I fill out the forms aside from the crew, then share them with the crew before I submit them to the assignor. That way the crew can't accuse me of "back-stabbing" because they know exactly what the assignor gets from me and why. If they want to defend their position they can do it with me before the assignor ever gets involved, and if the consensus of the crew is I rated unjustly I may change what I have written. I respect the ability of all of the Big Ten staff, and if three of those guys think I made a mistake in rating someone, odds are they are right.

The assignor then has the job of sorting out those ratings - and his rule of thumb is along the lines of "throw out the best one for the year and the worst one for the year, and the ratings should be pretty accurate"...

GBA
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

"Mono" is short for the disease, "Mononucleosis", or for a type of fishing line, "Monofilament". "Mano to mano" (Sp. mano a mano) means "man to man".

Bob
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"Mono" is short for the disease, "Mononucleosis", or for a type of fishing line, "Monofilament". "Mano to mano" (Sp. mano a mano) means "man to man".

Bob
You'd better get your money back from Berlitz, bluezebra.

"Mano a mano" means "hand to hand."
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I believe that this is possible. I don't see it where I am... but the paragraph noted below is the key. An "A" grade assignor will see through this, and it won't work. Point is, where I am (150 active umpires), I can't see anyone "advancing" by trashing a partner or other official. Most of us live by the code "Thou shall not speak ill of another official". And "violate" only around the sacred-table-of-many-beers.

The "A" assignor then will listen when someone does have something to say, or a gripe. AFter (a zillion) games, I've earned the respect of the assignor (as have many others) so that if we DO call and DO say, "Floyd, please do not assign me with Bozo.. or ... Bozo needs to have someone look at him" it carries some weight.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeteBooth

Sometimes by mutual agreement it is impossible to work with one another but at least talk to the individual FIRST and then make your assessment. Normally an individual who is a good qulaified assignor will see through this tactic and it will actually backfire on you.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Bob J:

True. Now you can imagine my grade in HS Spanish. Actually, I was going with the "common" usage, but should have known better.

Bob
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Pete Booth
Pete, when I assign I don't mind an ump who let's me know if he prefers not to work with someone. I will try to honor his request amongst the other parameters I must deal with.

However, if an umpire calls me and says he will not work another official, then I am certain to honor that request. Of course, it is not done at the expense of the non-complaining official. It means I won't use the complaining official on a day that he would have normally worked. He loses an assignment.

Guys working for me know how I feel. I don't believe any obstacle is too great to overcome regarding field personalities of umpires. It is a paid job when doing games I assign. I see it no different than if you sat next to someone at work and approached your boss to tell him you won't work because you don't like the guy sitting next to you. Realize, it can backfire on YOU.

My less talented officials need to be with some of the better talented officials for the learning process. Usually the complainers are not the less talented officials. All of us like to work with talented partners. It helps us look better and learn more while doing the job. The talented officials need to understand they are a vital part of on field training to an assignor in further development of a good roster of officials.

Needless to say, however, if I receive repeated requests from varying people who present legitimate reason for their complaints not to work with a particular umpire, then I need to address the other official regarding the problem and causes.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Some people are too hard-headed to listen because they know it ALL the first time they step on a field. I worked with a new ump 7-8 years ago. He had just retired and decided to try umping. It was girls' softball, LL Majors, two games. I'm PU in first game. He's wearing a ball bag. I tell him we don't wear bags on the bases, but he insists he's going to wear it anyway. Second game he's PU. Calls about five batters OUT after a walk because they took a step towards their dugout to drop the bat. No explanation, no answering the coaches when they ask why (both teams). I had to restrain the coaches from attacking the guy. I had worked their games before, and I calmed them down. After the game I told them I had no idea why he called them out, and I would call the assignor when I got home. Which I did. I told him what happened and that I wouldn't work with him again. I never saw him again.

I always enjoyed working with new umpires, because I remember the help I was given when I started. But when someone won't listen to advice, it's too bad.

Bob
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Bob, I'm not impressed with your assignor for having someone like this out there to start with.

You may not have worked with the guy again because NOBODY may have never worked with the guy again if he wasn't ready to learn.

Just a possibility........

Freix
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to M. Efird
Most of us live by the code "Thou shall
not speak ill of another official"

I work with a great group of officials that take this one step further: "Thou shall not speak ill of my partner!" That is, in reference to a spectator or coach trying to engage an umpire (whether he was involved with the game in question or not) into trash talking about another umpire.

I think this is possible because even those in the highest ranks of the system here take and accept comments and critisim (sp.) from their partners on and off the field. "Band of Brothers" -so to speak. In this open and honest format, rookie joe can go up to veteran bill and say something like "you know, your called strike 3 mechanic looks a little goofy from the stands" and both parties know that Bill will look a little sharper the next game...after an hour or so in front of the mirror, and nobody's pride was hurt or felt trampled on. I've learned more from this than reading case manuals and rule books...i don't know, have I started a new thread?
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to M. Efird
I did have a situation two years ago where I was PU for a big game in our state's biggest invitational where there was a hgih fly ball to left field, runner on third, and I was positioned perfectly to actually see the ball being caught AND whether the runner left early...which he didn't.

It was a close play at home, but the runner clearly came in safe, so I called it justly. The coaches then proceeded to argue that the runner left early. I calmly explained to (the head coach) that I not only had position, but I had the call and bottom line, "he's safe". He did not accept this and kept on from the bench about how we weren't doing our job, and after a warning, I removed him from the game.

An inning later, I saw my partner talking with the assistant coach. Later I casually asked him what that conversation was about, and he said "oh, I just told him not to let that incident get to him, and to explain to the coach that you're just a couple years new at this." OH! How I could've ripped his head off!

After the game, I spoke to the assignor (who was watching the game with two other highly notable officials) and the first thing he said when he saw me coming was "Mike, you did the right thing". Then I told him what my partner said and to whom, and HE made the decision to disallow us to work together again...for my benefit.

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

If you make a mistake in a game should you never be allowed to work that team again???

If two partners have an issue should they never work together again???

Mistakes happen, learn from them so they are hopefully not repeated.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Jaw on floor!

WOW!! Awesome. A TOP 10 partner from HELL story!!

I am with you. I would NEVER EVER work with that A-hole.

(At least until he had serious MIND reprogramming.)

Quote:
Originally posted by M. Efird

An inning later, I saw my partner talking with the assistant coach. Later I casually asked him what that conversation was about, and he said "oh, I just told him not to let that incident get to him, and to explain to the coach that you're just a couple years new at this." OH! How I could've ripped his head off!