View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Some people are too hard-headed to listen because they know it ALL the first time they step on a field. I worked with a new ump 7-8 years ago. He had just retired and decided to try umping. It was girls' softball, LL Majors, two games. I'm PU in first game. He's wearing a ball bag. I tell him we don't wear bags on the bases, but he insists he's going to wear it anyway. Second game he's PU. Calls about five batters OUT after a walk because they took a step towards their dugout to drop the bat. No explanation, no answering the coaches when they ask why (both teams). I had to restrain the coaches from attacking the guy. I had worked their games before, and I calmed them down. After the game I told them I had no idea why he called them out, and I would call the assignor when I got home. Which I did. I told him what happened and that I wouldn't work with him again. I never saw him again.

I always enjoyed working with new umpires, because I remember the help I was given when I started. But when someone won't listen to advice, it's too bad.

Bob