View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Sometimes by mutual agreement it is impossible to work with one another but at least talk to the individual FIRST and then make your assessment. Normally an individual who is a good qulaified assignor will see through this tactic and it will actually backfire on you.

Pete Booth
Pete, when I assign I don't mind an ump who let's me know if he prefers not to work with someone. I will try to honor his request amongst the other parameters I must deal with.

However, if an umpire calls me and says he will not work another official, then I am certain to honor that request. Of course, it is not done at the expense of the non-complaining official. It means I won't use the complaining official on a day that he would have normally worked. He loses an assignment.

Guys working for me know how I feel. I don't believe any obstacle is too great to overcome regarding field personalities of umpires. It is a paid job when doing games I assign. I see it no different than if you sat next to someone at work and approached your boss to tell him you won't work because you don't like the guy sitting next to you. Realize, it can backfire on YOU.

My less talented officials need to be with some of the better talented officials for the learning process. Usually the complainers are not the less talented officials. All of us like to work with talented partners. It helps us look better and learn more while doing the job. The talented officials need to understand they are a vital part of on field training to an assignor in further development of a good roster of officials.

Needless to say, however, if I receive repeated requests from varying people who present legitimate reason for their complaints not to work with a particular umpire, then I need to address the other official regarding the problem and causes.

Just my opinion,

Freix