The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Worked the Plate without an Indicator today.

Last year I worked with an umpire, a good one, who did not use an Indicator at the plate, or anywhere else. I have read a few posts and articles on the subject, and have been wanting to try it.

Well, today the perfect opportunity to try it came up. I was scheduled to work a 9 inning adult league game. The home team was 3 players short, so we had a forfeit. The two managers approached us and asked if we would work a 6 inning scrimmage, if the visitors loaned the home team a few players, since we had already been paid for the forfeit. My partner and I agreed.

Since this was just a practice scrimmage, it was very low key, and everyone was having fun. I decided this was about the best time to work without an Indicator.

Wow ! What a difference it makes to be out there naked (no Indicator), and without a scoreboard.

At first, I felt very apprehensive. Nervous about losing the count or outs. I realized just how dependent I had become on that Indicator. I work very hard not to 'live' in my Indicator, but it was always there if I needed it.

First, it really felt weird to not have anything in my left hand. But at the same time, I felt much more balanced. I use the GD stance, so both hands rested on my upper knee the same (very nice). Taking my helmet off was noticeably easier also. Not that it's hard with an Indicator, second nature, but noticeably more comfortable to have your palm touching the cage without worrying about your Indicator slipping out.

I did lose the count twice, early on. One batter had to take 5 balls before he got 1st base. Another got punched out with 2 strikes. Because it was a scrimmage, and everybody was pretty much joking around the whole game, it got laughs instead of jeers. I think the lost counts happened for several reasons;

First, I could not press my left thumb hard against the strike wheel of my indicator when the batters had 2 strikes, or my index finger on the ball wheel, when they had 3 balls. That is a mechanic I adopted early on to help me remember there were 2 strikes, or 3 balls on a batter. So instead, I started digging my left thumb into my leg for 2 strikes, and my right thumb for 3 balls. Worked very nicely.

Second, both of these count loses came after extended action on pitches. One was after multiple pick attempts by the pitcher, and the other was after a passed ball that resulted in several attempted plays on runners. As I look back on previous games using my Indicator, that is when I remember going to my Indicator the most, was after such plays.

Lastly, early on, I felt myself spending too many mental resources focusing on the fact that I didn't have an Indicator in my hand. Once I got over that, I did a much better job of keeping track of everything.

In conclusion, I'd have to say it was a very positive experience. I felt my focus on the information I needed to remember throughout the game was better. But my jury is still out as to whether I am going to discontinue using an Indicator. I have three days to decide, before my next game.

Nick
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Hooray!

Nice job, Nick.

Get rid of that crutch. I find that I remember specifically the locations of the pitches a batter receives .... and I no longer get confused by forgetting those pitches and then relying upon whether or not I clicked that passed ball onto my idiotclickercounterthingamobob.

Between pitches I will ring the count up on my fingers to keep it fresh in my mind and it is only when caught off guard that I have to go back and revisit the pitch locations to decide the count.

I might have a couple left in my bag but the others I have given away.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 12:44pm
In Memoriam

Arrow Which thumb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
I started digging my left thumb into my leg for 2 strikes, and my right thumb for 3 balls. Worked very nicely.
Nice goin', Nick.
Dunno if I'll ever be able to do that.
But I have a question. Why Left thumb for Strikes and Right thumb for balls?
mick
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I think you should have stuck to using your left thumb when you went digging for balls, Nick. Although I wouldn't suggest leaving that left hand in your pocket very long!

Sorry, I couldn't resist............

LOL

Tim.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

What is the big freakin deal? If you want to use an indicator use the indicator. If you do not want to use the indicator, do not use the indicator. This to me is about as silly an issue as if you wear a mask or not. I do not see how this is going to help anyone or hurt anyone to call balls and strikes which ultimately is what we are out there to do.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

JR - what's wrong with hearing an actual story about a fellow umpire's experiences when trying to experiment with this? What in the world could have possibly made you so bitter about this thread? Good grief.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What is the big freakin deal? If you want to use an indicator use the indicator. If you do not want to use the indicator, do not use the indicator. This to me is about as silly an issue as if you wear a mask or not. I do not see how this is going to help anyone or hurt anyone to call balls and strikes which ultimately is what we are out there to do.

Peace
Need a hug today, Rut?
mick
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

I did not say there was anything wrong with it. I just wonder why we are so obsessed of someone uses an indicator or not. Someone that would come to this board that is either new or not a baseball umpire would think that an indicator is the reason we can do our jobs or not. If you want to talk about it that is your right and it is Nick's right to tell the story. I just do not see why it really matters one way or the other if someone makes a personal decision. Now are we going to debate what type of cup we use?

Peace
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Need a hug today, Rut?
mick
Do you need one.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:44pm

Ooucchh!! I think I broke my indicator.

At least carry an indicator with you. It might come in handy. Take a ball on the hand and you might not be using that method. I will put mine in my pocket on those rare occassions the scoreboard operator is on top of things. I also signal the count more often as a personal reminder.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Do you need one.

Peace
Ha! Absolutely !
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Come on, Jeff. You say repeatedly that you could care less what others think, yet you chime in as if your opinion is the only one on the board. How many times do we need to discuss the fact that if you don't like what's being discussed in a thread it's much simpler to pass it by rather than making a rude comment. The only purpose your initial post in this thread could have possibly served was to disrupt it. I know I for one was interested in what Nick had to say about going without an indicator. I've thought about it myself, but may have needed a little nudge. That's what this forum should be about, discussing ideas that may be foreign to some.

Tim.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 02:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Come on, Jeff. You say repeatedly that you could care less what others think, yet you chime in as if your opinion is the only one on the board. How many times do we need to discuss the fact that if you don't like what's being discussed in a thread it's much simpler to pass it by rather than making a rude comment. The only purpose your initial post in this thread could have possibly served was to disrupt it. I know I for one was interested in what Nick had to say about going without an indicator. I've thought about it myself, but may have needed a little nudge. That's what this forum should be about, discussing ideas that may be foreign to some.

Tim.
Tim,

Are you going to answer my question Tim? What is so important about who uses or does not use an indicator? Asking a question does not make me rude or out of line. I asked a question because this board seems to be obsessed over what someone uses that may or may not help them work a baseball game. Then when people show objections to the use of an indicator, then next thing they do is refer to LL Umpires and what we see on TV during the LL World Series. If you really want to discuss these issues as you claim you do, you should answer my very legitimate question as to why this seems to be a major issue on the internet (funny I never see a big discussion of this with umpires I come in contact with on a daily basis). I work with guys that work some D1 and they use indicators behind the plate and in some cases on the bases. So if this helps them do their job, why would it not help those that are working HS and below?

Also Tim I think you need to read more of discussions on the internet. Right now there is a discussion on the basketball board about whether to wear the gray shirts as opposed to the striped shirts. There are people raising similar questions on both sides of the issue as I am here (What is the big deal?). This is what happens on discussion boards. People make a post and someone finds an angle and comments on it. I realize that you post in a lot of places and you probably have a hard time keeping up, but that is what goes on here. My question was not at all about anger or being upset, I was asking why this is an issue that gets debated all the time here.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 02:11pm.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Nice goin', Nick.
Dunno if I'll ever be able to do that.
But I have a question. Why Left thumb for Strikes and Right thumb for balls?
mick
Only because I was used to using my Left Thumb on the Strike Wheel. I added the Right Thumb for balls because it was the only thumb I had left.

I decided on this new mechanic on the fly out of desperation (the mother of all invention). It worked, I just hope I don't cut off the circulation in both my legs on a 3-2 count !

Nick
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now are we going to debate what type of cup we use?

BANANA !

And I ain't giving that up !

Nick
Closed Thread