The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

USSSA pitching rules and defensive conferences

I coach softball, but just started a 9u baseball tournament team. Had a couple of things come up over the weekend playing USSSA.

Pitching - Can a pitcher leave the mound, play another position, then return to the mound in the same game. Read the MLB rules (which govern USSSA), but did not see a reference to this situation.

Umpire explained correctly that since I had made 2 mound trips, the pitcher had to be automatically removed. What if I had not made the second trip and sent the pitcher back out at the start of a later inning?

Also, is there a rule limiting defensive conferences with players other than the pitcher?
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

1) Yes

2) That would be fine

3) Can't think of a specific one, although an umpire does not have to grant time if he chooses not to (assuming he's ready for the upcoming argument with the head coach!)
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
1) Yes

2) That would be fine

3) Can't think of a specific one, although an umpire does not have to grant time if he chooses not to (assuming he's ready for the upcoming argument with the head coach!)

Under most rules any defensive conference is a charged visit to the pitcher.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

The following link will take you to the USSSA baseball site and the 2006 rules.

http://www.usssabaseball.org/content...y-laws2306.pdf
You should read these because there are significant limitations on the number of innings a player may pitch. Here in Northern California, pitching logs are kept, and signed by opposing coaches and one umpire after each game. It is unfortunately common to see a team disqualified for improperly using a pitcher.

For what it is worth, I watch a lot of USSSA games, usually featuring one of my sons, and I have never seen a pitcher return to the mound after being pulled. In Southern California, the rules explicitly state that a pitcher may not return.

http://www.baseballfirst.com/rules2.htm
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I totally agree with the pitching rules, it's in the best interest of everyone and our first USSSA baseball experience was definitely positive.

Had a kid who pitched 2 great innings one day. Took the mound the next day and couldn't find the strike zone. Young kids are easily rattled and I wanted to move him, let him calm down and possibly use him later in the game.

In reviewing the rules, it appears if I do not make two trips to the mound with the same pitcher, he may return.

The time out thing for defensive conferences was an issue too. One coach kept calling time, talking to players (other than the pitcher) and even tried the hidden ball trick.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D
In reviewing the rules, it appears if I do not make two trips to the mound with the same pitcher, he may return.
By pro interp (may not apply to USSSA), if you make one trip, then the "change" is considered the second trip, even if you don't physically go to the mound.