The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

My son's team was playing in a USSSA tournament this weekend. The umpires were being very nit-picky to begin with. Example, there was no base coach chalk line to indicate where he had to stand, but our coach got warned in 2 different innings rudely by the umpire. But when the hometown coach was out on the field standing in the same spots, nothing was said.

But, one of the board members (again, playing a hometown team) came to our dugout in the last inning as we were playing defense to tell the coach that he needed to put his count indicator away or else he would be ejected! We have 2 coaches keeping track with one, just in case! He said it was illegal, is that true? I've been to alot of games and seen alot of things, but this is way off the charts. We talked to the tournament director after the game was over and he was even surprised and apologized. I approached the man who rudely talked to our coach (my husband) and told him I wanted to see the set of rules that stated it was illegal. He didn't have any of course, but he said they go by 3 different sets of rules: USSSA, OSSAA (Oklahoma Secondary School Activities) and Major League. The tournament was advertised as a USSSA tournament, didn't know there were 2 other rules that we had to abide by also! I have searched all 3 sites and cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know? Or is this totally off the wall to you too?

Reply would be appreciated! Thanks...
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twest
My son's team was playing in a USSSA tournament this weekend. The umpires were being very nit-picky to begin with. Example, there was no base coach chalk line to indicate where he had to stand, but our coach got warned in 2 different innings rudely by the umpire. But when the hometown coach was out on the field standing in the same spots, nothing was said.

But, one of the board members (again, playing a hometown team) came to our dugout in the last inning as we were playing defense to tell the coach that he needed to put his count indicator away or else he would be ejected! We have 2 coaches keeping track with one, just in case! He said it was illegal, is that true? I've been to alot of games and seen alot of things, but this is way off the charts. We talked to the tournament director after the game was over and he was even surprised and apologized. I approached the man who rudely talked to our coach (my husband) and told him I wanted to see the set of rules that stated it was illegal. He didn't have any of course, but he said they go by 3 different sets of rules: USSSA, OSSAA (Oklahoma Secondary School Activities) and Major League. The tournament was advertised as a USSSA tournament, didn't know there were 2 other rules that we had to abide by also! I have searched all 3 sites and cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know? Or is this totally off the wall to you too?

I have never seen a coach with an indicator, and would not care if I did. I have never seen the word "indicator" in any rule book. Sounds like an overly official offical (OOO) to me.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

The FED rule is rather specific...

I haven't got my books but it seems like a scorebook or a PDA (to keep score/batters count) are allowed. I don't believe an indicatorclickertingymabob is specifically mentioned.

But I'm thinking that an indicatorclickertingymabob in the hands of a coach is exactly the right place...

Don't know about USSSA rules but they are probably similar.

But I'm with the camp that feels "Who in the heck cares?"
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

If it's baseball related, it's legal. Scorebook, indicator, whatever. It sounds to me like you were "home-towned".

Bob
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 05:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
But, one of the board members (again, playing a hometown team) came to our dugout in the last inning as we were playing defense to tell the coach that he needed to put his count indicator away or else he would be ejected! ... I have searched all 3 sites and cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know? Or is this totally off the wall to you too?

twest,
Welcome to the forum.

Coaches with indicators? Fine with me; I need all the help I can get.
mick
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Give him a brush so he can sweep off the pitcher's rubber and the bases also.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But, one of the board members (again, playing a hometown team) came to our dugout in the last inning as we were playing defense to tell the coach that he needed to put his count indicator away or else he would be ejected! We have 2 coaches keeping track with one, just in case! He said it was illegal, is that true? I've been to alot of games and seen alot of things, but this is way off the charts. We talked to the tournament director after the game was over and he was even surprised and apologized. I approached the man who rudely talked to our coach (my husband) ...
As an assignor, I have had to listen to the complaints about officials for years. The home team has one version of the story, the visitors another, and the umpires a third. It is like they are talking about 3 different games. Almost never do I get the whole story from any one party.

I wonder what the WHOLE story is here. I am willing to bet that you did not tell it.

Peter
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:

I wonder if the team advanced, what the scores were, and if team didn't advance, did they get "homered". I think I have an idea of all of the above answers, but would like to be sure. Scores would be helpful in this pursuit.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm siding with Peter on this one. I don't think we're getting the whole story.

I suspect it was more along the line, "Hey blue. What do you mean Ball 3? I'm showing it should have been two strikes!" or "Hey blue. Does your indicator have the same numbers on it that mine does?

Jerry
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Read again - it was not even the umpire who mentioned the indiclickercounterpacifier. It was some random board member, who probably has absolutely no authority during a tourney. Love it when board members get involved during a game.

Reminds me of a PeeWee football game last year, where as we're setting up for the next play Ref and I (HL) hear the Linesman yell, "GET OFF THE FIELD!" We look over, and someone is approaching the referee from behind trying to tell us we are calling something wrong. Ref throws his flag, blows his whistle, and tells him again to get off the field. "But I'm a board member!" "No, sir. You are now an ejected fan. You need to leave the facility."

We actually had to get Field Admin (who, uncomfortably for him, actually reported to this Board Member in his real job) to remove him from the facility.

PS - I, too, feel like we have about 1/3 of the story here.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Fed Rule states

3-3-1
A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not...

i. have any object in his possession in the coach's box other than a rule book, scorebook, a Personal Digital Assitant (PDA) or comparable electronic score-recording device which shall be used for scorekeeping purposes only;

So... Overly Officious Official may technically be correct... but as others have said here, as long as it's not a megaphone with an indicator taped to the side "Who cares?"
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,
The coaches using the indicators were on defense and in the dugout.
Jerry
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Jerry, I got the impression the coaches were using them on offense, and were warned by the overly-ambitious board member when they got back to their dugout.

But neither is specifically stated, so either of us could be right.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I've often used an indicator just so I can keep track of the count. I don't use it to try to disagree with the officials.

It has much to do with the level of play also. I just like to know so I can tell Johnny there are two outs and run on a fly or more specific Billy has two strikes, Johnny be ready to go.

I now use a PDA but not when I'm coaching a base. Too much to do.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

To mcrowder:
The original post said the coaches were in the dugout and their team was on defense . . .

"But, one of the board members (again, playing a hometown team) came to our dugout in the last inning as we were playing defense to . . ."

Jerry