View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Worked the Plate without an Indicator today.

Last year I worked with an umpire, a good one, who did not use an Indicator at the plate, or anywhere else. I have read a few posts and articles on the subject, and have been wanting to try it.

Well, today the perfect opportunity to try it came up. I was scheduled to work a 9 inning adult league game. The home team was 3 players short, so we had a forfeit. The two managers approached us and asked if we would work a 6 inning scrimmage, if the visitors loaned the home team a few players, since we had already been paid for the forfeit. My partner and I agreed.

Since this was just a practice scrimmage, it was very low key, and everyone was having fun. I decided this was about the best time to work without an Indicator.

Wow ! What a difference it makes to be out there naked (no Indicator), and without a scoreboard.

At first, I felt very apprehensive. Nervous about losing the count or outs. I realized just how dependent I had become on that Indicator. I work very hard not to 'live' in my Indicator, but it was always there if I needed it.

First, it really felt weird to not have anything in my left hand. But at the same time, I felt much more balanced. I use the GD stance, so both hands rested on my upper knee the same (very nice). Taking my helmet off was noticeably easier also. Not that it's hard with an Indicator, second nature, but noticeably more comfortable to have your palm touching the cage without worrying about your Indicator slipping out.

I did lose the count twice, early on. One batter had to take 5 balls before he got 1st base. Another got punched out with 2 strikes. Because it was a scrimmage, and everybody was pretty much joking around the whole game, it got laughs instead of jeers. I think the lost counts happened for several reasons;

First, I could not press my left thumb hard against the strike wheel of my indicator when the batters had 2 strikes, or my index finger on the ball wheel, when they had 3 balls. That is a mechanic I adopted early on to help me remember there were 2 strikes, or 3 balls on a batter. So instead, I started digging my left thumb into my leg for 2 strikes, and my right thumb for 3 balls. Worked very nicely.

Second, both of these count loses came after extended action on pitches. One was after multiple pick attempts by the pitcher, and the other was after a passed ball that resulted in several attempted plays on runners. As I look back on previous games using my Indicator, that is when I remember going to my Indicator the most, was after such plays.

Lastly, early on, I felt myself spending too many mental resources focusing on the fact that I didn't have an Indicator in my hand. Once I got over that, I did a much better job of keeping track of everything.

In conclusion, I'd have to say it was a very positive experience. I felt my focus on the information I needed to remember throughout the game was better. But my jury is still out as to whether I am going to discontinue using an Indicator. I have three days to decide, before my next game.

Nick