The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't used an indicator on the field for a long time. During the fallball season I decided to experiment going without an indicator behind the plate. I found that:

1. My focus on the game improved.
2. Never a reason to take your eyes off the field and I focused more on the pitcher for balks etc.
3. Lost the count on only a few occaisions. And when I did I was able to figure out what it should be and found that I could more easily remember the sequence of pitches without rather than with the indicator.

Works for me and I recommend that you give it a try.

Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
I haven't used an indicator on the field for a long time. During the fallball season I decided to experiment going without an indicator behind the plate. I found that:

1. My focus on the game improved.
2. Never a reason to take your eyes off the field and I focused more on the pitcher for balks etc.
3. Lost the count on only a few occaisions. And when I did I was able to figure out what it should be and found that I could more easily remember the sequence of pitches without rather than with the indicator.

Works for me and I recommend that you give it a try.

Welcome to the club!
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Many MLB umps still use an indicator; for whatever the reason. MiLB are "required" to use one. (I'm talking about PU only; except for little kids, I don't know why anyone would want to use one in the field.)

Several camps teach to verbalize the count after each pitch and to show the count on the fingers for all of the "odd" counts. That way, your partner and you have an idea on what the count should be. It's especially important when there's a scoreboard involved; and the scorekeeper has it incorrect.

Jerry
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Good for you! Add one person to the good side of the force.

I agree that not having the indiclickapacifier increases your focus on the game in just the ways you mentioned.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:50pm

I tried using an indicator in the field the first couple of times I worked the bases. It felt odd, and interfered with a smooth looking safe call, so I ditched it. I have never used one working the bases since.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Great. Now there's going to be another round of layoffs at the WangChungChina Indiclickicator Factory......
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

As long as some umpires persist in wearing a ball bag on the field, brushing off the bases and the pitcher's plate, and letting everyone on the field know what the count is . . . there will be jobs aplenty for the employees of Wang Chung. Everybody have fun tonight!

Jerry

Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I can't understand why an umpire *wouldn't* use an indicator.

Why rely on your memory?

If working the indicator de-focuses you, instead of getting rid of it I'd recommend becoming more comfortable with it to the point that it's no longer a distraction.

I hardly ever look at my indicator ... EXCEPT when I can't remember the number of outs or the count which I consider pretty important.

Maybe you guys just have better memories than me.

When you screw up the count and the game participants discover that you are not using an indicator, they won't be impressed. They EXPECT you to be using one and NOT relying on your memory.

Although, I will say I do not consider this a big issue.

I would never recommend that a new/inexperienced umpire *not* use an indicator in order to help him "focus."

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

I can't buy that not using this simple piece of equipment is going to drastically increase one's focus. I'd be very unfocused if I was trying to replay 5-6 pitches in my head to regain the lost count.

I use an indicator, but rarely look down at it. I cut notches in the wheels for balls/strikes, so that I can read the count with thumb and index finger. For me, having the count on my fingertips allows me freedom to focus on other matters.

If going without a net works for you, great. But I don't think that going without using this simple piece of equipment needs to be encouraged.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluehair
I can't buy that not using this simple piece of equipment is going to drastically increase one's focus. I'd be very unfocused if I was trying to replay 5-6 pitches in my head to regain the lost count.

I use an indicator, but rarely look down at it. I cut notches in the wheels for balls/strikes, so that I can read the count with thumb and index finger. For me, having the count on my fingertips allows me freedom to focus on other matters.

If going without a net works for you, great. But I don't think that going without using this simple piece of equipment needs to be encouraged.
Bluehair, your preference is personnally up to you, and you only. It will be a topic that will NEVER be right or wrong, and NEVER full agreement on. But, that fine.

As a non-user, all I ask is that you try it. I did, and haven't been able to use one for 13 years, since.

When you don't use the indaclickercounter, you tend to concentrate more on what the count is, because mentally you know that you don't have any backup to rely on. And so you become more focused in that respect. I found that, I can actually tell someone how the count was arrived at, which is far better than showing them that little crutch in your hand. You already stated that you don't look at it much to begin with.

Either way is fine, just my opinion.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
David, is that "indiclicker" in the cone? If so, better have a spare.....(wink).

BP

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

In the instances when I have forgotten my indicator, I have never had a problem remembering the count. Sometimes when I do have my indicator, on the other hand . . .

I'm ready to give life with no indicator a try.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
In the instances when I have forgotten my indicator, I have never had a problem remembering the count. Sometimes when I do have my indicator, on the other hand . . .

I'm ready to give life with no indicator a try.
I've had to umpire without an indicator before and actually, I found it distracting because I was too concerned about forgetting the count/outs and, therefore, not concentrating on the game as much. Of course, that's because I was so used to using an indicator.

Or, perhaps I'm just in the early stages of Alzheimers.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

I have stopped using one on bases. I will not stop using one on the plate. My left hand is pretty well trained at keeping track, and I don't look at it very often. But sometimes I need to know so I will look. It never fails me.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I have stopped using one on bases. I will not stop using one on the plate. My left hand is pretty well trained at keeping track, and I don't look at it very often. But sometimes I need to know so I will look. It never fails me.
That is exactly the position I'm in. I always use it when I work the plate and I don't even think about it. It's such a part of my routine that, now, it is almost distracting *not* using it. It's like breathing ... I just don't think about it.

On the bases, I'm about 50/50. My decision to use it or not has much to do with what I know about the PU. If he's a sharp guy, I'll probably dispense with it altogether ... especially if there is a scoreboard at the park that seems to be competently operated. If I use it, oftentimes I'll just use it to keep track of outs and won't bother with the balls & strikes.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN